Author Topic: TV Crossword Clue  (Read 789 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
TV Crossword Clue
« on: November 25, 2004, 05:15:27 AM »
I have been informed by the resident TV guide crossword puzzle solver in the house (LAFB) that the new TV guide puzzle contains a clue referring to a character of great renowned (whom we all know and love).
Check out 5 Down.

Aside from DS fans, I wonder how many average, everyday, run-of-the-mill people would know the answer to THAT clue.  Not too many I bet.

;D  ;D  ;D

PS  Is it just the edition around here, or has TV guide become totally worthless??  They stop listing things at 11 pm.  Plus, they only list about a quarter of the channels, if that.  There's no easy way to tell what in hell is on!!  (not that I can ever find anything remotely interesting)   :(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: TV Crossword Clue
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 05:54:54 AM »
Aside from DS fans, I wonder how many average, everyday, run-of-the-mill people would know the answer to THAT clue.  Not too many I bet.

;D  ;D  ;D

Maybe not. I know for myself that I've been able to figure out some of the TV Guide crossword clues for shows that I've never seen simply because I read TV Guide and other entertainment magazines - particularly when I'm lucky enough to get some of the letters for the answer from some of the letters of the overlapping answers in the puzzle. It's amazing how some of the most trivial info can get logged in your brain and you're not even aware of it until you need it.  :D

PS  Is it just the edition around here, or has TV guide become totally worthless??  They stop listing things at 11 pm.  Plus, they only list about a quarter of the channels, if that.  There's no easy way to tell what in hell is on!!  (not that I can ever find anything remotely interesting)   :(

It's not just your issue. The listings in the revamped version of TV Guide have really gone down hill - and they seem to be in a state of denial about what they've done. Back when the changes first took place, TVGuide.com had a survey that subscribers could fill out, which I did, and I made it clear that I was not at all pleased. Their response to my comments was an obviously prefabricated e-mail about change sometimes being hard for some people to accept at first but they were certain that eventually their subscribers would appreciate the changes they've made. After I wrote back wondering how anyone would suddenly be likely to come to appreciate no longer having detailed listings for any time periods other than 7pm through 10:30pm when what they'd come to expect from TV Guide was full 24 hour listings, their personalized response was that they want more people to check out TVGuide.com and to get their detailed local listings for the other 20 hours of the day there (which I'll admit I do - but only because of the lack of alternatives). However, when I then questioned how they thought the millions of people who are still without access to a computer or cell phone with an Internet account are supposed to access their Web site, funny, they never responded.  ::)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:43:35 AM »
That really is an obscure one for TV Guide.  I could see if they had a Barnabas question, but that's amazing!!

I quite agree with the complaints.  I've been so frustrated with them.  Our current newspaper TV book is pretty good.  I used to like to use TV Guide as well, as there was often additional information, but anymore it seems that what I'm looking for often isn't there and I have to rely on the newspaper one.  They only give general daytime listings.  We watch the tennis tournaments during the year, mostly on ESPN, but they don't go into detailed daily listings anymore and there's no way to determine things like that which aren't the same for the whole week.

And the nighttime listings, as you've mentioned, are ridiculous!!!!  I have a subscription right now, but unless there are major changes, I suspect I won't renew it.
Josette

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »
Thanks to crossword puzzles, i now know what nacre and etui are!  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.