Author Topic: 1968  (Read 17633 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: 1968
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 03:42:38 PM »
there are actors who do not ad-lib well if at all.  Early and live television is not a medium for those actors who can't ad lib or learn lines quickly.  You can be a brilliant actor but suck as an ad libber. If you're experience in television is limited and you wind up being the lead actor on a daily show, I cannot even imagine what that must be like.

Yeah, this is what I mean, he could act, but when he went up it was painful to watch.  I believe he said in an article once that "doing that show every day was like jumping off a cliff, but I had to do it."  He did the best he could being relatively new to the world of TV, but it must have sucked to have to do 2-4 new 'plays' every week w/little to no rehersal and no chance for retakes when a mistake was made.  The best example of his frustration at himself w/going up is the scene in 1795 when [spoiler]Barnabas confronts Josette about her running off w/Jeremiah and he went up.[/spoiler]I like how he 'bargained' w/DC to fix that scene, almost unheard of on DS!  ;)

Then add the fact that he'd sometimes work 3, 4, even 5 days a week, then have to fly all over the country doing PR appearances for the show on weekends.  When did the poor man sleep and have any kind of social life?  Guess it's a good thing he *wasn't* married 'cause I imagine a wife would have kicked him to the curb, LOL!  I read another article/interview he gave where he said he was so busy working and doing PR that he didn't even have time for the boring things in life like paying bills and doing laundry.  He went on to say that more than once he found he had to wear a bathing suit for underwear 'cause he was out of clean underwear, LOL!  Mind you, this was in one of the teen rags that are famous for BS articles, so who knows if that was really true.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
Actually, that sounds entirely plausible which is why JF  wound up hiring someone to handle his personal affairs and prepare dinner for him at home.  I can see his waking up one morning and realizing he didn't have clean undies, lol.

Nancy

He went on to say that more than once he found he had to wear a bathing suit for underwear 'cause he was out of clean underwear, LOL!  Mind you, this was in one of the teen rags that are famous for BS articles, so who knows if that was really true.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »
I think that is why John wanted to have someone come in. Being in so many episodes and doing promotions. John might  have just been burned out. The whole show was dependant on him and no other.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »
I think that is why John wanted to have someone come in. Being in so many episodes and doing promotions. John might  have just been burned out. The whole show was dependant on him and no other. Lori

I also feel that Frid is essentially a theatre actor who has concentrated bursts of focus and energies but could not consistently sustain the same quality within the framework Dark Shadows provided. It was just too much for him. That's why I so appreciate the small snippets when he was terrific. I think that's all pretty obvious so I cut him lots of slack. He was never a soap actor but, the guy had to make a living.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »
Not to belittle Frid, 'cause I *do* think the guy's got talent, but he himself admits to being a 'slow-study' and frankly, he never seemed to be the kind of actor who could 'think on his feet' and recover from a flub like say, Louie Edmonds can.  I can't think of a single time where he just winged it and ad-libbed while staying in character.  Instead, he'd nervously wring his hands, search for the teleprompter and stutter.  Not really a flaw, just some actors can do it and some can't.  Frid seems to be the type that can't.  Just my 2 pesos...  ;)

I have to disagree. Frid was a phenomenal actor, and you've given him some credit for that. However, he was a classically-trained stage actor, and this was a new genre for him. Soap actors will tell you that they virtually have to do a play a day, a pretty daunting challenge for any actor.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »
I have to disagree. Frid was a phenomenal actor, and you've given him some credit for that. However, he was a classically-trained stage actor, and this was a new genre for him. Soap actors will tell you that they virtually have to do a play a day, a pretty daunting challenge for any actor.

The "ad-libbing" comments are interesting. I'm not sure if the ability to ad-lib has all that much to do with acting talent. Obviously, as a soap actor, it's very helpful. I've read that Tony Geary from General Hospital ad-libs all over the place. However, I was also reading how Art Carney, the great TV and movie actor from "The Honeymooners" could not ad-lib and hated that when he was on stage for the original "Odd Couple" Walter Matthau (who played Oscar to Carney's Felix) tended to ad-lib which that would really throw him off balance with his own acting. Apparently, it was this reason he wasn't too keen on playing with Matthau in the movie version. Jack Lemmon got that project. I totally respect and admire Art Carney's talent, he's the best. So, can't really say that ad-libbing is a sign of credible acting ability. It's just a quirk some people can do and some can't.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 02:27:44 AM »
Ad libbing is a skill and there are plenty of excellent actors who are not good at it.  It has nothing to do with talent.

The "ad-libbing" comments are interesting. I'm not sure if the ability to ad-lib has all that much to do with acting talent. Obviously, as a soap actor, it's very helpful. I've read that Tony Geary from General Hospital ad-libs all over the place. However, I was also reading how Art Carney, the great TV and movie actor from "The Honeymooners" could not ad-lib and hated that when he was on stage for the original "Odd Couple" Walter Matthau (who played Oscar to Carney's Felix) tended to ad-lib which that would really throw him off balance with his own acting.

Carney was a brilliant ad libber but was not in top form in "The Odd Couple" partly because of his health.  Though its public knowlege in several Carney biographies, he had a very difficult time with the play, and the constant tension didn't help his state of mind any.  The play was being re-written or acts and large chunks of dialogue  would change from day to day as the play toured.  But Carney's health problems really crippled him during that run.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 03:02:18 AM »
In the biography of Art Carney I read, the author said that Carney's behavior became erratic during the run of The Odd Couple and he wound up dropping out of the show, spending the next six to eight months in a place that is what we would consider a rehab. That's why I indicated earlier his health was a serious problem and figured into decisions he was making about his work.  Carney's wife left had left him due to his alcoholism (they remarried years later when he got sober) and Carney suffered a nervous breakdown.  Obviously his coping skills were sorely tested with the ongoing rewrite of The Odd Couple as they moved from city to city on their tour.   Carney was known to just suddenly "disappear" for a night or two during a binge even if he was working.  Fortunately, he got help and was able to turn things around in his personal and professional life.

Nancy

Apparently, it was this reason he wasn't too keen on playing with Matthau in the movie version. Jack Lemmon got that project. I totally respect and admire Art Carney's talent, he's the best. So, can't really say that ad-libbing is a sign of credible acting ability. It's just a quirk some people can do and some can't.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 03:15:28 AM »
Ad libbing is a skill and there are plenty of excellent actors who are not good at it.  It has nothing to do with talent.
Carney was a brilliant ad libber but was not in top form in "The Odd Couple" partly because of his health.  Though its public knowlege in several Carney biographies, he had a very difficult time with the play, and the constant tension didn't help his state of mind any.  The play was being re-written or acts and large chunks of dialogue  would change from day to day as the play toured.  But Carney's health problems really crippled him during that run.

Really!! I think I must have read the same info. My understanding was that Carney liked to play roles by the book without ad-libbing and that Matthau was the opposite. Though, by watching the Honeymooners there appears to be lots of ad-libbing but I doubt there was. I could be wrong though, I'll have to look this up. I also knew Carney had drinking problems etc. but not sure what that has to do with ad-libbing pro or con.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »

I think you missed the point of my post adamsgirl, I wasn't criticizing Frid, just pointing out that he didn't seem able to ad-lib like several of his co-stars could when a line was forgotten.  As for the fact that he was classically trained, that really has nothing to do w/whether one can or can't recover from going up.  Both Johnny Karlen and Louie Edmonds were classicly trained stage/theater actors as well and they could cover thier mistakes much easier than Frid could, epecially Edmonds, so how an actor is trained really has nothing to do with how one can or can't cover a flubbed line well.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 03:29:28 AM »
can't really say that ad-libbing is a sign of credible acting ability. It's just a quirk some people can do and some can't.

Yep, this was my point exactly!  Some can, some can't.  Has nothing to do w/one being a better actor, just a separate talent.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
Funny, recently I got two tapes of the Art Carney movies "The Late Show" and "Harry and Tonto".  And I think the word would be "bender".

More notes.

I got the idea of the "pocket in time" before Ang brought it up (with Vickie).

Stokes/Petofi-- opposite equivalents?   Both have that irony, that running inner commentary that they can't help voicing, always separate from the world, observing from the outside at a distance.   Stokes may be the most identifiable DS character for me.    Or that's just a passing impression.

Why not question Adam's plan, such as... perhaps you could wait longer than a couple months after being born, to decide your dating days are over. 

To find your community vampires, look in the vicinity of roosters.

The Fly landed on a telephone, and the telephone went on with the scene like a trouper.

Willie is just about the only thing grounding this storyline.

Do they even have a meat locker at the Old House?    What about the smell?   Is that why the dogs are howling?

Fine line maybe between larger acting to suit larger story, and over-the-top.   Some directors may have been going for the former but some actors may not have seen the distinction. 

Is the Blue Whale built on a pier jutting out into the bay?

Are those wolf howls made by humans or wolves?  Are they on a tape, or do guys offstage howl?   Why do I join them sometimes?

Julia certainly seems to consider a fully-stocked bar to be a crucial part of the reanimation process.    Her equipment consists almost entirely of a million different colored liquids.    I tried to find some red stuff so I could say Julia enjoys sex-on-the-beach, but failed.    I'm two years old.   Maybe she's going to pour all those hundreds of gallons of pretty liquids into the monster, and she'll come to live all soggy.  And hung over.

Tom tried to bite the camera or Julia's eyeball.

More later.   No apology necessary of course, Lydia, thanks cubed, but if you find it, I'd love to have it please.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
As a Honeymooner fan, I can tell you for certain there was a lot of ad libbing on The Honeymooners.  Gleason was a pro at it and Carney the same way.  The "hello ball!" is an example of ad libbing Carney did.

Alcohol on the brain can slow your response time down not just physically but mentally as well which is how it can affect your ability to do something well you normally can do such as ad libbing.  If your confidence is shot, that can also your ability to be snappy and think quickly.

Nancy

Really!! I think I must have read the same info. My understanding was that Carney liked to play roles by the book without ad-libbing and that Matthau was the opposite. Though, by watching the Honeymooners there appears to be lots of ad-libbing but I doubt there was. I could be wrong though, I'll have to look this up. I also knew Carney had drinking problems etc. but not sure what that has to do with ad-libbing pro or con.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
Stokes/Petofi-- opposite equivalents?   Both have that irony, that running inner commentary that they can't help voicing, always separate from the world, observing from the outside at a distance. 

I've thought the same thing, Magnus.  Both are extremely intelligent, witty, articulate, strong personalities who are knowledgeable about the Occult and seem to have a hand in every matter at Collinwood, but the professor is clearly a force for good while Petofi is solely evil. Petofi is the flip-side of Prof. Stokes, a closer evil parallel of the character than Parallel Tim Stokes.

ProfStokes

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »
This has nothing to do with anything that has been talked about, but I just had to share ...

I am watching Dream Curse/Adam for the first time and so far my favorite bit comes when Joe and Maggie are arguing about the earrings.  Joe is been very jealous and childish and quips that maybe they ought to cancel their dinner plans.  Whereupon Maggie, without missing a beat, says "Or maybe find a place that serves baby food."

I paused the dvd and must have howled (with laughter, not with the dogs) for about five minutes!  ZING!!!!!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.