Author Topic: Why do we love 1897?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Why do we love 1897?
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »
1897 is always named as one of the most popular storylines. So, what is it about 1897 that connects with so many people? 

For me, it's the way everything gels.  Admittedly there's scads of period goofs big enough to drive the Deathstar through -- but the tone and FEEL of the period overall is spot on.  At least most of the time, the characters' attitudes are too. You BELIEVE these characters,weird and supernatural as their experiences may be, as a wealthy family of the late Gilded Age along with those who moved within their circle.

Most of the characters are extremely well detailed and interesting (though that falls apart a bit near the end),as well as being a nudge nudge wink wink to stock characters in classic Victorian melodrama: The stuffy, humorless and not too bright elder brother, the bright and competant old maid sister, victimized by a charlatan in the end, the charming Byronic wastel and rapscallion who ends up collecting the wages of his sins, and the eccentric brother underestimated by all -- and in the end, mourned by none. Outside of the family you have the innocent young governess,menaced by the evil priest in name only, the gypsy grifters who are more than they seem, and the obligatory mad wife in the attic. Finally, there's the aristocratic lady's maid (though they didn't always show it in her range of duties, they seem to be acknowledging that a ladies maid was normally an educated woman from a good family who had lost their money, forcing her into needing to work),who, against her better instincts fell in love with the rapscallion,and who had to die in the end as "punishment" for sleeping with him outside wedlock.

Of course, that's just the cliff notes version. As we all know, the writers  and actors  ran with the stock characters and turned them into someone unique to the storyline and the show. Another was intelligent writing.  They didn't talk down to the audience, but ASSUMED  that people had enough of a solid basic education (I call it that because I have to think hard to think of any novel they stole from that wasn't required reading in Elementary School, Jr.High or High School) to know of the works, and understand when they were being tweaked.

They also took risks,such as the Petofi bodyswap storyline, trusting again that their audience would "get it".  (Though those who weren't familiar with written science fiction or shows like Twilight Zone and Outer Limits might have found it a stretch.

Then there's the lynchpin character,Quentin, himself. Most people I know who like the storyline are those who -- perhaps "like" is the wrong word, as he can be very unlikeable at certain points in the story --  but enjoy the character and watching his progression, his "hero's journey" so to speak.  But, do you HAVE to like him to enjoy the storyline? I'd like to get some opinions on that.

For all that Quentin is dismissed as a self absorbed, one dimentional drunk and a consciousless womanizer,the character also shows a great deal of depth  and complexity in many scenes. One that comes to mind is when cynical,doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself Quentin has a scene with Edward where he tells Edward he has just come from his son's grave, and confronts Edward (seeming at one point on the verge of tears.These can't  be blamed on drunkenness, as he is clearly cold sober.) desperately asking Edward WHY he considered Quentin so far beyond the pale that he didn't even deserve to know he had children. Edmonds and Selby just shone in that scene, one of the two that permanenly hooked me on the show.

So,I've babbled on long enough on this overlong post. Who else has an opinion to share?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we love 1897?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
I liked 1897 because it moved at a good pace, and we had the full, sarcastic Quentin as opposed to the toned-down nicer version we had later in the show. It also was one of the best-plotted storylines, at least in my opinion.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:31 PM »
1897 is one of my favorite DS storylines. This is because so much is happening.
So many plots and sub plots, interesting characters, drama with a touch of whimsy.
As to your question, I do not think you have to be a Q fan to enjoy 1897.
It's very much an ensemble piece.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:14:18 AM »
The acting.  The best scenes ever are within it.  The one when Judith reveals to her brothers who's the one whom Grandmamamama gave everyting to.  Brilliant.  The one where Edward and Laura battle over their marriage and kids.  Outstanding.  Even the blooper-fixed ad-libbing, such as when Grandmamamama first calls Quentin by the wrong name and then corrects herself within character, as does Quentin in his brief reaction.  The scene where Judith and her accomplice brick up you-know-who; all three are so devilishly good.  And so many others which I don't want to say because it would constitute real spoilers.

Gerard

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:10 AM »
So,I've babbled on long enough on this overlong post. Who else has an opinion to share?

Me.

Post of the week. GREAT read.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
Grayson Hall is positively brilliant as Magda.  Hilarious and touching all at the same time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
If someone had done this story today, they'd have thrown heavy-handed cliched "atmosphere" at us with both fists, probably without being too familiar with the era, assuming it wasn't important, because after all, it's all "just entertainment".

All the period stuff in 1897 was matter-of-fact, not overplayed, not even necessarily detectable as "atmosphere" because all the "natives" were presented as people who just happened to exist in 1897 leading very real lives that they had to get on with.   They seemed to exist independently of the viewers, rather than seeming to be there for our benefit, to make us ooh and ah, as it seems in modern TV and films.   They don't need us observing them, to validate their existence.

There's also something odd and interesting about the feel of those times, if this didn't in fact enter my head just because of having watched DS as a child, anyway...   New modern conveniences were starting to be mass-produced, but they weren't really seen as disposable temporary items yet, so they designed them more ornately much of the time, as if they thought it would all last.   Something about that strikes me oddly, in a sort of unsettling way.    There's something a bit creepy about seeing all these items like phones or cars that are roughly the same devices we have now, but designed more elaborately or something, no plastic...  Maybe it's just something about the design style then.    There's something weird and dreamlike about it.   In fact, I do have strange dreams involving ornate iron bridges from that era.

I'm not getting it explained at all, sorry.    I look at the Addams Family this way.    Something dreamlike about the look of the machines then.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:39:27 PM »
I have nothing intelligent or profound to add to the above comments only to say that the interweaving of the storylines and the characters of Judith & the Rev Trask, Magda and Barnabas, Count Petofi  and CDT and Blackwood and Aristede were my favorites along with the Barnabas and Lady Kitty and Edward triangle and of course Quentin, Beth and Crazy Jenny. So much great stuff going on it's hard to choose the best of the best.  Who can forget about the goings on at the old Rectory or the Old Mill.  The list goes on an on.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
I myself always liked the 1897 storyline. I've always the Victorian Era and I wish that I can go back in
time to the 1890's. But at times I wished they made Quentin's room alittle more Victorian and also
wished they had better Victorian furniture on the set of Collinwood.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
PETOFI!!

That said, Aristede's evilness, I also love when Edward is the 'help'. Love love love when [spoiler]Angelique pulls a doppleganger on Laura!![/spoiler]. Love the whole idea of Angelique 'happening' to be in 1897.

I whole-heartedly agree about the writers using just enough (yeah, 'using' is one word..) of the literary goodies that the audience en masse would 'get it'.

Really love Judith's part....hated supsequent rolls for Miss Bennett.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
I think the reason 1897 stands out as one of the best storylines is definitely because of the plot and how well it was played out over 9 months of television. Of course, it did get to be a little much towards the end where it seemed like the writers were grasping at straws, but we can forgive that for the months of solid storytelling previously.

It is no small feat to have pulled off two love triangles--Barnabas, Edward, and Kitty as well as Quentin, Beth, Crazy Jenny (and later Amanda)--at the exact same time as the werewolf "origin" story if you well, while also juggling a few family secrets that were about to be on the loose, and a Hero's Journey story which is always entertaining if done well. This doesn't even cover the stuff with the Trasks, which was fit in there at just the right time to fill in holes where previous plots had been resolved or put off until later.

All this is not to be said without mentioning the superb writing and acting, and I agree with the person above who said that some of the best scenes of the series are housed within this storyline.

The most important thing about this time period piece was that it was a blatant character driven story, more so than the others, because it didn't rely on cheap plot contrivances and extraneous logical leaps to make it work.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »
Post of the week. GREAT read.

Thanks for the egoboo, Retzev  [blshy]. And thanks to everyone who's chimed in. LOL Julianka7 and AngeliqueWins can tell you there's no such thing as too much discussion of 1897 for me.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
If someone had done this story today, they'd have thrown heavy-handed cliched "atmosphere" at us with both fists, probably without being too familiar with the era, assuming it wasn't important, because after all, it's all "just entertainment".

I've run into a lot of people lately think that way about fanfiction. No period background or attempt at atmosphere necessary; after all,they're "just stories".   Scariest one (and after reading fanfic and zines since 1975 it takes A LOT to scare me) had an early storyline antagonistic Beth caught in Quentin's room looking for something -- and this respectable Victorian lady's first reaction was to open Quentin's pants to perform a sex act on him to distract him. And the rest of the story was worse.    [jawdrp] TRUST ME.  [haironend]

There's days I get very depressed about the future of fanfiction in this fandom.   [90d1] [help]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
1897 simply RULED. But then I've always been partial to all the going-back-in-time stories.

There's so much to enjoy about 1897, it's so well-acted with great and complex characters.
Some may get a much-deserved comeuppance, while others come out on top.

What a remarkable change Quentin does go through from the boozing, self-centerered womanizer (how I loved those one liners of his!) at the beginning of the storyine to the caring, mature, responsible fellow he becomes. This transformation is not rushed by any means, it happens graduatally and very convincingly.

Again, I say 1897 rocks.