Author Topic: Was Grayson a beauty or what?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Was Grayson a beauty or what?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »
When was the face work?  It just occurred to me that that one square nostril might be a surgeon's error.

As for stars having surgery, even the smart ones do it, not just face liftes but botox, when acting requires full use of your face muscles.    People worship and trust MDs far too much.

Nov-Dec 1970 during the 1840 storyline.  And she had only an eye lift.  People have suggested maybe she had other surgery, namely her nose but that is inaccurate. 
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: A bit spoilerish if you hadn't read A Hard Act To Follow!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
PREACH IT! :)  I hated that damn wig DC insisted she wear.  HORRID!!  I couldn't really understand the fact that Julia Hoffman couldn't have a chic style with short hair.  Indeed she was a DR in a small Maine town, however, she owned a HOSPITAL for God's sake.  I am sure Julia was well cultured.  She was very chic indeed!!

What I believe DC and the other producers meant with the wig was that Dr Hoffman was obsessed with her work not her looks, so she would get a perfunctory hair cut but not muss about how chic it was or was not.  She wasn't vain in that way--brain oriented doctor that she was.   Now once she fell in love with Barnabas of course she started to care about her looks. .leading to the new clothes and haircut.  It actually fits quite well into the character development really.
Julia99

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »
Love the Grayson Avatar, RJ- she looks like Joan Crawford!  The whole 'eyelift' anecdote only proves how valuable Grayson was to Dan Curtis- by that time she was at the nucleus of DS like Jonathan.  DC knew damn well that she was irreplacable!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »
Let me get this straight... Dan Curtis thought someone was irreplaceable?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
I doubt it.  I think it's more likely that Dan Curtis liked the crew of characters he had put together to deal with whatever supernatural crises he cared to throw at them, and he didn't want to mess with it unnecessarily.  As I remember the interview in which Sam Hall mentioned this, Hall (Sam, not Grayson) thought it would make for some interesting developments if Julia were eliminated and Barnabas had to find somebody else to deal with his period excursions into vampirism, but Curtis vetoed it.  I imagine that Curtis wasn't interested in this sort of character development.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
If it had lasted I know GH would have probably left along with Barney too.  I just can't imagine DS without GH though!  I guess in a way I am glad the show only lasted the time it did.  I hate on General Hospital when my faves leave.  I would love to have back the 90's General Hospital writers it was so good then.  And I miss Genie Franics (Laura)  terribly!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
If Julia had been killed off, I expect that Grayson Hall would have been given another part, completely different from Julia.  One possibility might be a descendant of Magda, searching for Count Petofi.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
And of course no one ever is really dead on soaps, even the "normal" ones.  She could have returned!!  The Magda idea is very cool though Lydia!! [ghost_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:14 AM »
I regret that Grayson didn't get to play a different kind of role though I know she enjoyed Julia for allowing her to show heartbreak and Magda for just pure delightful craziness. . But on DS she didn't play a wife/mother (Magda's marriage to Sandor notwithstanding) with a few children who  of course cowered at her every word  . .. I wonder why they didn't think of switching actresses for 1840PT making Grayson the widow and Joan Bennett the embittered sister-in-law. . .
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
I wonder why they didn't think of switching actresses for 1840PT making Grayson the widow and Joan Bennett the embittered sister-in-law. . .

That certainly would have been interesting. And it definitely wasn't because Grayson's age made for a more plausible [spoiler]red herring as Melanie's mother when her mother turned out to be Josette who had a son who was older than all of Flora's and, therefore, Joan's children.[/spoiler]

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 01:13:21 AM »
Sorry, no way can I say she was a beauty, not on a show that had Lara, KLS, Donna Wandrey, etc, etc on it, I would say she had more of an interesting look...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:53 AM »
Have you seen the pictures from  RJ's book?  The Headshot type picture of her and her first husband.  She is an ABSOLUTE knock out.  I think if Grayson wouldn't have smoked so heavily, it would have helped her retain a more "youthful" appearance.  Lets face it, smoking ages you.  NOT to step on anyones toes who smokes.  I used to.  Thank GOD I was able to lay them down.  I like Grayson have asthma and they told me if I didn't quit (when I was 24) that I would have ephesyman by the time I was 35.  I am 30 now! 

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 03:08:45 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I stated on another topic that no actresses on the show held my attention like Grayson, Lara Parker, Alexandra Moltke and Joan Bennett.  As for KLS and Donna Wandrey, they were pretty in a conventional way.  For me, KLS and DW lacked that spark that the other four had.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 04:12:41 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I stated on another topic that no actresses on the show held my attention like Grayson, Lara Parker, Alexandra Moltke and Joan Bennett.  As for KLS and Donna Wandrey, they were pretty in a conventional way.  For me, KLS and DW lacked that spark that the other four had.
AMEN

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 08:09:14 AM »
I don't think in terms of "beauty".   Grayson's face grips you (sans uglification wig... DC's idea?).   Frid's does too.   "Pretty" is boring.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor