Author Topic: Tim Burton REMAKE/RE-IMAGINING report card  (Read 2849 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Tim Burton REMAKE/RE-IMAGINING report card
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »
I wonder if anyone from the Depp/Burton team ever comes over to this forum to see what the fans think about re the new movie.

(Just in case.... )  Hi Johnny!!!   [wavey]  (Actually, it WOULD be a great way to research, wouldn't it?!)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »
If Depp, Burton, and August have any respect for the property at all, they'll check out the fansites and take into account what the fans want. When producers don't do that is when many movies based on books or comics and basically every movie based on a video game turn out the sour way they do.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »
My own view is that the filmmakers should respect the fans, but not in any sense simply obey or kowtow to them.  The whole point of any artistic enterprise is for artists to bring their own personal meaning and decisions out.  I recall that in the 1950s there was a shot-by-shot remake of the 1930s classic The Prisoner of Zenda.  It, like the slavishly remade script of Psycho a few years ago, tanked.  Quite rightly, too.

Look at LOTR.  Far more popular than DS (c'mon, you know this is true) and when finally made into a lavish trilogy of motion pictures, some fans simply could not be satisfied while others adored the films.  And everything in between!

While it might be nice--and possibly quite useful--for Depp's colleagues to visit places like this, my own hope is they don't place too much weight on our words.  The movie is theirs, to make as they see fit.  I will judge it as itself first and foremost.  Based on past experience with Tim Burton adaptations, I suspect I'll enjoy the result but it'll be a slightly mixed bag.

To my reviews...

Batman - I thought this in general an excellent superhero film, but to be honest it also felt a little rushed.  The "pacing" in Burton films often feels a bit "off" to me (which goes to show the guy has a different drummer in his head I guess).

Mars Attacks! - I loved it!  Mind you, methinks some of the humor was a bit esoteric, even odd.  So what else is new?

Sleepy Hollow - Effing brilliant!  And btw, one reason for all the British accents was Burton's clear intention to make it as a tribute/homage to all those wonderful Hammer Horror films of the 1950s, 60s and 70s.  Frankly, I believe this film gives us the best indication (in some ways) of what a Burton-directed DS might be like.

Planet of the Apes - Okay.  Lots of cool individual bits (especially design and characterization) but something about the plot didn't hold together for some reason.  And I can't decide whether an ending you need a panel discussion to figure out is a good thing or not.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Unlike many, I thought this a very good film.  It was a genuine re-imagining that borrowed extensively from the source material (rather than the first movie) as well as giving a unique spin on its own, by giving the character of Willie Wonka a genuine arc.  The ending, with Willie meeing his father again, to me resonated fully as much as that glorious moment when Gene Wilder said "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »
I'm a mixed bag of Tim Burton....some stuff of his I like better than others. However, I can't deny the guy is a gifted filmmaker.

Batman-I love Burton's take on it when it first came out and still do, even with the newer and equally as good Chris Nolan films that have come out. It was more darker and more exciting than the 60's show. I never liked the Adam West series despite its camp value. The movie was a darker and more exciting vision of what Batman should be and Jack Nicholson I thought made a great Joker (I won't say he was better or worse than Heath Ledger, who I also like as the Joker but I definitely prefer both of them over Cesar Romero).

Mars Attack-didn't like it. It seemed too much camp for me. I suppose that was the point, but it just seemed way too silly and ridiculous the more the movie went on. I really wanted to like it, considering the cast, but I just couldn't get into it.

Planet of the Apes-I haven't seen the original, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I actually enjoyed this version. I realize I am most likely the only one who does.

Sleepy Hollow-Also love it. Like Batman, a much darker and spookier version of the classic story. Johnny Depp of course was excellent in it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-didn't like it. Depp's Willy Wonka reminded me too much of Michael Jackson. Being such a big fan of the 1971 original I honestly tried to give this version a chance, but there are some stories that I feel don't need a darker side to it and I feel this was one of them.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »
My own view is that the filmmakers should respect the fans, but not in any sense simply obey or kowtow to them.  The whole point of any artistic enterprise is for artists to bring their own personal meaning and decisions out. ...  The movie is theirs, to make as they see fit.

I have a very similar view, Zahir.

I will judge it as itself first and foremost.

And that's the best way to approach it - not to compare it to other versions of DS, but does it stand on its own and is it true to the essence of DS? That's all we can really ask for and expect...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »
And that's the best way to approach it - not to compare it to other versions of DS, but does it stand on its own and is it true to the essence of DS? That's all we can really ask for and expect...

YOU hit the nail on the head MB.  Although I love my DS friends and respect their views and opinions I cannot understand someone vowing not to watch anything at least once.  When I was a naive 14 year old back in 1991 I simply couldn't understand people panning the 1991 DS and viewing  only a few minutes. I didn't like the old show at first I had to watch and give it a chance and BOY am I glad I gave the ORIGINAL a chance.  The original gave me a chance to see Grayson Hall in action and I will FOREVER be grateful!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 03:12:12 AM »
Because Tim Burton is directing the movie, I'm sure that, like all Burton films I've seen, I'll really parts of it and strongly dislike others. Well, no, actually I think the two "Ed" movies were basically masterpieces, but I digress. Anyway, I'll definitely see the movie, and won't complain about most aspects of it until I've done so. Of course, if he does something completely insane like move the story to ancient Mesopotamia, I'll probably skip it.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.