Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Pilot - Part 1  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Pilot - Part 1
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
In my own family, I can easily see the "how many rooms?" question turning into a heated argument as to whether the walk-in closets counted, and whether the three parlors that can be turned into one huge drawing room if you open enough doors should be counted as one room or three.  ("Great-grandmother Collins never closed the doors!"  "But Great-great-great-grandmother Collins always kept them closed because of the draft from the secret panel!")

Until I read mscbryk's comment about Daphne's work at The Blue Whale, it hadn't occurred to me that Daphne's work might be a door left open for a non-supernatural subplot: with Daphne in the hospital, who's going to keep the books for Sam?  I would say that it's unlikely that this series is going to resort to the non-supernatural (heaven forbid!) - but so far David's behavior seems to be non-supernaturally bad.  That reminds me, I'm not sure I'm on the same page with Victoria Winters on how to respond to David.  She's all for "David, I'm here to be your friend!"  As for me, I'd be saying, "David, if you can't learn to behave, you'll be wishing your father had sent you to military school!"

By the way, are there any plans to put up screen captures for captions or setups?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone for there comments on my post.  I was so glad to finally be able to be back here on the boards. I really miss them when I am away.  Here are some more screencaps from the first part.  Since Tomorrow we watch the second half I am gonna post the rest I have.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »
Here are some more!  Hope it was okay to double post! I love the Woodard picture!  He is making that funny face he always made! However, Stefan Gierasch is MARVELOUS actor in my opinion!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »
Aren't we supposed to have a new thread today for the second part of the PILOT??  I have looked for the orignal annoucment because I thought we may be skipping this Friday.  Anyone??

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 01:30:56 AM »
You've started looking too early.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »
Okay.  LOL.  I need to find that Annoucment and review the rules and such. 

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm figuring the rule in this case is: "MB gets to it when he gets to it."

Changing the subject...I've had the case for the '91 series DVDs lying around near my TV since last week, and every time I look at it, I think: "George Washington!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »
I'm figuring the rule in this case is: "MB gets to it when he gets to it."

Actually, he did say this about when the topics would be started:
The topic to discuss the first half of the pilot will be on this board, it will be clearly identified, and it will be started tomorrow night.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »
Regarding the portrait next to Barnabas others have asked about, is it Joshua?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
(I finally got a chance to write up my notes from the first three installments.)

I like the little hints that are dropped about David's background and his mother. I particularly love the scene between Roger and Elizabeth and the ominous remark that David did something so horrendous that he will never be let back into the local school.

Say what you will, but I love the use of the smoke - especially in the outdoor scenes. Overall I think the cinematography is wonderful and adds such atmosphere. It's a shame that so much of it is ruined on the DVD set (which is why I'm watching my MPI VHS tapes instead).

I love the Collinwood set. It's easy to see why the series cost over $15 million to produce because much of it is on display on screen. The detail of the production design is incredible.

It's probably worth noting again that Maggie and Sam were only supposed to appear in the pilot and never be seen again. But when TPTB saw Ely Pouget on screen they instantly decided that they had to develop the Maggie character to make her a part of the series - and Eddie Jones was lucky enough to get to go along on the ride as Sam.

I really like how Vicki has a perception about people. She could easily see that Willie was an outcast, and apparently feeling sympathy for him rather than being turned off by his behavior at the Blue Whale she agreed to go along with him to Collinwood rather than accept Joe's offer to drive her. I also like how, after Vicki admitted that art was her favorite subject to teach and Roger cynically remarked that he supposed that art was how she got to know children, Vicki comes back with how their art actually helps children to get to know themselves, showing Roger there is more to her than he gave credit at first. It's a real shame that scene was cut from the NBC broadcast.  >:(

I love Barbara Blackburn as Carolyn. I was familiar with her work from when she played Siobhan Ryan on Ryan's Hope and I enjoyed her then - but her Carolyn is on a whole different level - if not on a whole different planet. It's more than a shame that some of her best moments were cut from the NBC broadcast. But then, as we all know, DC's sad motto is "when cuts need to be made, jettison character moments because, hell, who needs them?"  ::)

Another telling remark of Roger's (and naturally, one that was cut from the NBC broadcast): how he never expects anything - that way he's never disappointed. I suspect that has a lot to do with how his marriage has played out. But we'll get a few more clues about that down the line...

I definitely like how the great hall at Collinwood seemingly has dozens of portraits on display. They could have been the perfect set up to introduce a whole slew of ancestors/characters. But alas...

I love the look on Barnabas' face after the one-two punch of seeing Vicki and hearing about Sarah. His remark about possibly upsetting David is far more meaningful when one considers it from the POV that it's actually Barnabas himself who's far more upset but summoning all his power to cover it.

I never noticed before this viewing, but I find it quite interesting that all the outdoor scenes in this half of the pilot either take place at night or in the rain - both of which contribute greatly to creating an extremely suitable dark, dank atmosphere. Even when it isn't raining, the ground is often wet.