Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Pilot - Part 1  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Pilot - Part 1
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 12:14:51 AM »
The whole question of Liz's accent reminds me of the episode of Roseanne where Joan Collins plays her cousin.  They get into an argument and Roseanne says (paraphrasing here):  "And where do you come off with that hoidy-toidy accent?  You grew up in Illinois!"

Gerard

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »
[Mame]Well, when you're from Illinois, you have to do something.[/Mame]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:20 AM »
I was always under the impression that Elizabeth was schooled in England, and that was the reason Jean kept her accent for the character.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 03:15:47 AM »
...does anyone else think it strange that Barnabas' coffin is so exposed?  Anyone walking down the basement stairs would easily see it, and why is it on some sort of pedestal?  You'd think it would have been hidden a little more out of sight...
If it were me, that coffin would be behind several locked doors, hidden behind furniture and most certainly covered with a tarp or something.  Plus it wouldn't be exposed to the sunlight!

Unless Barnabas has some kind of deathwish, which seems possible.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 03:35:05 AM »
A gentle reminder - [spoiler]Barn's stylishly overexposed coffin and Carolyn's slutty dancing at the Blue Whale are in the 2nd half of the pilot...  [ghost_wink][/spoiler]

I suppose Liz could have been schooled in England.  England does seem to play a part in the extended version of the pilot part 1 (Liz going to England to get David, for example) but unless she was practically born and reared there (which also is possible) and her parents spoke with English accents, (which is moving us into increasing improbability since neither Roger nor David have any hint of an accent) I'd say it's far more likely the accent is an affectation, which really just doesn't seem, well, Liz, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of improbability, as often as the modern Collinses seem to have spent time in England, it starts to get even more odd (or sloppy) that they they knew nothing of an English branch of the family and therefore it makes Barnabas' story even flimsier.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 03:42:53 AM »
That's one of my problems.  While evoking "atmosphere" is of a good deal of importance, so is a certain sense of "reality."  A coffin containing a vampire who's on a most-wanted list certainly looks nice being the centerpiece of a cruise ship midnight buffet display, but - honestly - if the vampire is trying to be, shall we say, discreet, one would think he would prefer having his resting chamber buried and hidden under boxes of saved Coolwhip bowls and Christmas decorations, blending in with the don't-throw-it-out-because-you'll-never-know-when-you'll-need-to-use-it bricabrac found in everyone's basement.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 04:20:02 AM »
Has anyone else ever noted or commented on the irony of an actor named "Cross" being cast as a vampire?   [ghost_tongue2]

My friend Kosmo reminded me about the 1990 TV Guide article with the title, "This time Cross resurrects vampire."

[ghost_cheesy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 04:42:05 AM »
I rewatched "Scene 5" last night and thought it was well done ... but now I can't remember anything about it!  Except, does anyone else think it strange that Barnabas' coffin is so exposed?  Anyone walking down the basement stairs would easily see it, and why is it on some sort of pedestal?  You'd think it would have been hidden a little more out of sight.

If you meant Chapter 5, could you please hold that thought until next week's discussion?  This week's episode completes the DVD's Chapter 4.

One thing I couldn't figure out is what season of the year is all of this supposed to be happening? There's a scene in which Vicki is wearing a heavy coat and gloves, I think. Yet the trees have green leaves on them. Kind of an oversight in my book, but not as glaring as the obvious 'day-for-night' shots near the end of the episode.

And please feel free to bring this up again during next week's discussion.  ;)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
I recall an old Hitchcock movie called 'The Rope' where the newly departed was kept in a buffet while the party guests were served food from it's closed top.  Of course the exposed coffin of Barnabas would have had a different affect if it had been kept in the dining room.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »
but - honestly - if the vampire is trying to be, shall we say, discreet, one would think he would prefer having his resting chamber buried and hidden under boxes of saved Coolwhip bowls and Christmas decorations, blending in with the don't-throw-it-out-because-you'll-never-know-when-you'll-need-to-use-it bricabrac found in everyone's basement.

HA!!  I can see it now.  Barnabas is rummaging through the cellar, throwing the Cool Whip bowls and tinsel garland around, muttering "I know I put that coffin down here SOMEWHERE!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I just loved MB's comments about the clothes.  The idea of Liz wearing Bea Arthur's wardrobe from the Golden Girls is a hoot.  I really hated how they dressed Jean Simmons in that role.

Maybe Victoria's extra shoulder pads were a case of proactive defense against psychotic children of rich, isolated New England families?

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 01:55:31 AM »
Pilot Pt. 1 VO: Joanna Going Air: Jan. 13 1991

Hey guys.  I wrote two pages (front and page) and am gonna try and condense as much as I can.  I get really nostalgic watching DS '91 because like the original fans feel about Dark Shadows, I feel the same way about this version.  It was my foray into the world of Dark Shadows and I was hooked from the first 5 minutes.  I think in many ways in changed the course of my life and was a key factor in my coming out.  Isn't it amazing how art can make such a mark on our lives??  Onto the review!

I absolutely love how Dark Shadows opens.  It have a very cinematic feel to it.  I for one am glad they opted to treat this like a movie by not having a traditional opening credits.  I love how the camera pans down towards the train with the sun in low in sky.  I also love the beautiful rays that bounce off the camera and cause that really neat looking ball of light.  It makes for an amazing effect.  Right off I am drawn into this mysterious world as the gorgeous Victoria Winters introduces herself and like her we enter into the world of Dark Shadows.  We also are quickly introduced to Carloyn (complete with a leather '90's miniskirt) and a very 'cocky' attitude.  We also met Mrs. Johnson, Elizabeth, and Daphne Collins.  I too like many others always wondered how Daphne was related to the family??   I think Jean Simmons is a beautiful woman and I love her beautiful rich, thick English accent.  I too wonder if she was reared in ENGLAND as Roger doesn't have the accent.  I suspect if the show had continued we may have been privy to that information.

We see the camera pan down from a sign that says "COLLINSPORT" and to me this is when the score really begins to amp up.  I am immediately drawn deeper into the show by the music.  Side Note: My first visual encounter with DS was this show. However, I used to listen to my mother's DS record she had left at my Grandmother's house.  There was nothing but the record (no sleeve) left but the music was very scary and haunting to me.  SO in a way I have to thank the original DS record for bringing DS to my attention.  Once I saw the promos in TV GUIDE for DS '91 I set out to watch. My Joanna Going is one lovely woman and I think  there was no other actress who could have played Victoria '91.  Or maybe I am just parcel?? LOL

I noticed as Mrs. J tries to call Willie we see there are phone lines going "OUT" to the "School Room" "Gate" "Drawing Room" "Green House" and "Stable"  My Collinwood is a vast estate indeed.  The Drawing Room, The Foyer, and Grand Staircase are my favorite sets on the show.  They are beautifully built, wonderfully decorated, and just BEYOND GRAND!!!

I notice that Willie is reading THE BOOK OF THE DEAD.  Is this a fictional or real book? 

Right off I really really like Maggie.  I think Ely Pouget was an wonderful choice and I wish she had gotten more work over the years.  I was so pleased to see her in an episode of Season 7 of Charmed.  By the way MB you said at one time that Ely Pouget wasn't going to be in the show as much but the producers liked her so much they included more.  Was Maggie just gonna be a kind of side character??

I for one was outright aggravated that Carolyn called Victoria "Vickie"!  UGHHH!!  First of all I thought that was rather rude.  She could have said, "May I call you Vickie"  I thought it was quite presumptuous on her part.  Plus if anyone ever notices in my post I never refer to Victoria as Vickie because I feel that when you reduce Victoria to Vickie it ruins a EXQUSITE name to a common sounding name!  I have always said if I am blessed with a daughter one day I will call her Victoria and defy anyone to call her Vickie and she will grow up knowing she isn't to be called Vickie!!  No offense to anyone out there that uses Vickie.  I just find Victoria more regal and if I remember correctly Barnabas '91 never calls her Vickie.  Which I think is perfect.  I cannot see a 18Th century man calling Victoria, Vickie!  Sorry for the [Rant_Emote]!!

Great high shot of the Victoria, Carolyn, and Elizabeth as they excite the Foyer.  A storm is brewing which is never a good sign.  As Willie goes back and for between the lion and the dove there is a great LOW shot of a tomb that has COLLINS emblazoned on the side of it.  Wonder which ancestor is interned in it? The possibilities were endless....:(  I kinda of wonder how bats got into the secret room and how they survived?? 

The staircase is my favorite. Now that is a GRAND STAIRCASE!!  I wonder who the man is in the other portrait on the landing??  I also like the fact that no one really knows how many rooms there are in the house.  Very cool.  I think that was a great way to go as it opens up a lot more possibilities.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is a great little actor and I knew he would go very very far one day.  I suggest Latter Days. If you are a gay man it will pull at your heartstrings and if you are gay friendly it will too.  I also suggest his movie he did  with Greg Araki called Mysterious Skin.

I suspect Barnabas really made a lot of money from those old jewels.  I suspect this is where he attains his monies from at least for a while. I guess he could also invest in business ventures as long as he could conduct his work at night.

I absolutely love the shot of Barnabas walking towards Collinwood. Beautifully shot with all the elements in place. I also love when Barnabas gazes all around the Foyer and sees endless portraits hanging on the wall.  GOOD LORD what high ceilings!!

I love the scene with Barnabas, Carolyn, Elizabeth and Roger. I also love the fact that the "ORIGINAL" Barnabas helped to elect John Adams "...along with Thomas Jefferson as his Vice President"  I am gonna forgive their error because this is the world of Dark Shadows and they can make their own rules.  I swear Carolyn looks as if she is sizing up her own cousin! LOL She is so slinky!!  Also I read it here or some reviewer commented that Ben Cross was too tan to play Barnabas. However, I disagree.  He had fed on Willie and drained poor ole Daphne almost to death hence the color back in his skin.  If you will notice later on in the series, [spoiler]he is very pale before going to bite other victims.[/spoiler] My favorite scene of this first part is Barnabas telling the story of how Collinwood was assembled.  He told it with such conviction and verve. I believed every word and it was a wonderfully written monologue perfectly executeted by Ben Cross.  "Money is of no consequence" Barnabas tells his cousins as he says he wants to restore the Old House.  I think to myself.  IT MUST BE NICE!!!  [ghost_wink] "I can't believe it!  Our family's first home in America come back to life" Elizabeth  "Yeeeeeeeeeeees"  Barnabas  I absolutely loved how Ben Cross delivered that line.  As David comes into the room he seem to almost be in a trance.  GREAT closeup on Ben Cross as he looks upon Sarah's portrait.  He has nice lips!  [happy7]

I love the closing scenes of Barnabas making his way toward The Old House.  Great cinematography.  I love the final shot as he says, "Father!  I have come home" 

B+  Only because I think this episode did a good job of laying the groundwork however I think it could have been improved in some areas. For example: A drunken Willie driving Victoria and the rushed plot.  And also because I think better installments are to come which will warrant a higher score.

I again want to extend my thanks to our WONDERFUL mods for granting my wish, my hats off to you both!!  [wavey]  I look forward to reliving this glorious series in the next few months!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 04:49:48 AM »
Taeylor, I was so happy to read that you're feeling better!

My Joanna Going is one lovely woman and I think  there was no other actress who could have played Victoria '91.  Or maybe I am just parcel?? LOL

I think she was a perfect Victoria too, and I was shocked to learn that she almost didn't make it past her early audition.  Apparently we have Dan Curtis to thank for realizing the mistake.  Go figure.

It's interesting that you like the detail that the Collinses don't know how many rooms are in their family home.  That bugged me a little.  Yes, it's huge, but it's no Buckingham Palace... and we do know how many rooms that has.

"I can't believe it!  Our family's first home in America come back to life" Elizabeth  "Yeeeeeeeeeeees"  Barnabas  I absolutely loved how Ben Cross delivered that line.

Me too!  My favorite line so far has to be, "(Barnabas:) My business has always been rather consuming."  Ha ha!

And Willie trying to impress Roger by telling him that instead of working he was spending the time reading, starting with the old books-- too funny.  (Yes, the [Egyptian] Book of the Dead is a real collection of ancient texts.)

Willie can read??!!

Thank you for taking the time to rewrite your review, cuz I know you said you'd lost the first one.  And many thanks for the kind words.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »
If you meant Chapter 5, could you please hold that thought until next week's discussion?  This week's episode completes the DVD's Chapter 4.

Oops, sorry about that - I'd forgotten that a viewing schedule was posted giving these guidelines ... I don't have printer capabilities at the moment, otherwise I would have printed it out to refer to.

About Elizabeth's accent ... perhaps Jean Simmons hasn't completely shed her own accent and this may be her own normal way of speaking.  No doubt she could do some kind of "American" accent, but it was probably decided that this "fit" the character because of her cosmopolitanism, education, etc.  Ben Cross's accent serves him well since Barnabas supposedly spent time in England.  But since he actually hadn't gone to England, then he must have decided to do his best approximation of an accent, which just happens to be indistinguishable from that of a native Britisher.

I agree, I always felt that Carolyn was presumptuous in calling Victoria "Vicki" before she even met her.  Like you, I have nearly always referred to "Elizabeth" and "Victoria" in my posts in the past; it seems more respectful.

I noticed Ben Cross's tan (or dark makeup) as well, and would have preferred a pasty vampire look in his early days out the tomb after 200 years.

Good going with the "Cross" comment, I hadn't thought of that.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
the Collinses don't know how many rooms are in their family home. 
Carolyn: I'll have my staff get back to you on that....
 [ghost_tongue2]