Author Topic: OT Carol Burnett "Lost Episodes"  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
OT Carol Burnett "Lost Episodes"
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:19:57 AM »
I hope this post doesn’t annoy too many people, since it does not have anything to do with DS—directly, that is—but I have been watching shows on “The Carol Burnett Show—The Lost Episodes” set since last week when I received the collection and I must say that I am in heaven watching these shows, many of which ran concurrently with DS in the late 60s—early 70s.  As a DS fan of a “certain age” (oh, well, I’m almost 60!), CB was another show from my youth.  If I can watch CB and DS to the end of my days, I will die happy.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT Carol Burnett "Lost Episodes"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:27:58 AM »
Does it include the Guess What's Coming to Dinner skit? I thought that was just hilarious when I saw it back then.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
I can't say which disc it is on, but I remember seeing that skit listed while perusing the episode guides for the show.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:37:45 AM »
Sounds wonderful.  Carol used to make me laugh so hard I would literally roll around on the floor.  I'll never forget my first viewing of "Sunnyset boulevard."  grand stuff!

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
I'm surprised TCBS never did a spoof-skit of DS, since our beloved soap was so outrageously popular at the same time.  They could've called is "Dank Shadows" or some-such.  Ms. Burnett would've been great as "Dr. Coughman;"  couldn't you see Harvey Korman playing "Blunderous Collins?"  And Tim Conway as the bumpstead "Nillie" (causing Korman to crack up).

Who remembers when the classic Eunice-and-Mamma skit aired when Tim Conway started to adlib about the siamese elephants?  They just kept the cameras rolling and did air it.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
I remember a skit that I think was set in a classroom and Carol was the teacher.  Suddenly everything started shaking--it was an earth tremor.  Without missing a beat (I think she was actually walking across the room), Carol said, "Stay calm, children, I just felt the earth move."  You could hear the audience going wild. 

I could imagine something similar happening on DS though of course, they did not tape with an audience.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »
I don't ever recall TCBS ever doing a spoof of any classic horror movies or TV shows, other than passing comments incorporated into a skit.  I wish it would have. 

Anyone else here remember another classic TCBS blooper (and, again, they just kept the cameras rolling and incorporated into the broadcast) in a skit based on a Garland-Rooney movie (put on a "show" in a barn to save the day) as Carol Burnett was singing and the horse behind her started to do its business?  A stage-hand had to quickly dress in a "country" costume and go behind her with a bucket to clean it up.  The audience started to roar in laughter and at first Ms. Burnett thought it was because of her number but realized it was something more and turned around and saw what was going on.  All characterization ended as she broke down in hysterical laughter herself.  She asked the stagehand:  "Is he through?"  Then she called out to the director:  "Should we pick it up from #1 or #2?"  Like with DS, those were the days of wonderful, on-the-cuff TV.  You don't see that anymore today.  The closest was when Hot In Cleveland broadcasted a few episodes live and when things didn't work out as intended the actresses/actors had to just go with the flow and ad-lib and they turned away from the cameras to not be seen cracking up.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
As far as TCBS doing 'horror', it was the 70s; I do remember them doing 'somewhat mental anguish' spoofs.

What I'll always remember is the outstanding coverage of "Gone With the Wind", because, they did it after the FIRST TELEVISION AIRING of the movie. I was 13, and you could go to ANY of your friend's houses, and EVERYONE had it on. The men didn't complain (which always made me think it COULDN'T have aired on Monday night re: Howie Cosell).

Patti

PS...I may be having a faulty memory....but, in my mind's eye, do I see Carol Burnett dressed as Bride of Frankenstein??
What a Woman!