Author Topic: WHAT'S UP, DOC? on DVD  (Read 918 times)

ClaudeNorth

WHAT'S UP, DOC? on DVD
« on: July 03, 2003, 06:51:25 PM »
Greetings!

I am very excited that WHAT'S UP, DOC? has been released on DVD so I felt the need to share this info in case there are other fans of this movie out there amongst the posters.

Believe it or not, this film does have a DS connection.  Stefan Gierash (sp?), who appeared in the revival series, appears as a hotel clerk in the movie.  So, it's not COMPLETELY off-topic...  ;D

Anyway, WHAT'S UP, DOC? is one of my favorite comedies--a delicious tribute to the screwball comedies of the 1930s.  It's so good, in fact, that even non-Streisand fans love it, and enjoy her performance.  Given her current persona, it's easy to forget that she possesses a true flair for comedy, but she is at her peak in WUD.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, flimsy DS connection and all.

Regards,

John

Nancy

Re:WHAT'S UP, DOC? on DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 07:34:12 PM »
Thank you for sharing this news, John! This is one of my all time favorite movies.

Nancy

Greetings!

I am very excited that WHAT'S UP, DOC?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 10:45:17 PM »
This is one of my all time favorite movies.

Mine as well. It's one of those rare comedies that's a laugh riot from beginning to end and every single actor in it, from the stars to the bit players, have something about their parts that make you laugh out load. It's a true classic. To this day I can't think about Kenneth Mars in that movie without starting to laugh. "I am Hugh." "You are me?" "No! I am Hugh!" And of course, "Don't shoot me, I'm Italian!" [lghy]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 11:10:45 PM »
I went to see WUD with my best friend's mom when it came out. She howled from beinging to end. It's a very special heart-warming memory for me, so glad you posted this, John.

Any goodies (extras) included on the DVD?

dom

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 03:47:40 AM »
Any goodies (extras) included on the DVD?

The DVD includes the original theatrical trailer, scene-specific commentary by Streisand, feature-length commentary by Peter Bogdanovich, and a featurette from 1972 entitled "Screwball Comedies...Remember Them?"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 03:53:24 AM »
To this day I can't think about Kenneth Mars in that movie without starting to laugh.

About a year ago, in their annual Hollywood issue, VANITY FAIR featured a new picture of Kenneth Mars posing outside of a hotel room with four plaid overnight bags!  Needless to say, I was thrilled by this tribute to the movie.

Regards,

John