Author Topic: OT: Shades of DS  (Read 498 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Shades of DS
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
Fans,

This morning over breakfast I happened to stumble upon some clips from 1960s underground film schlockmeister Andy Milligan's 1969 film TORTURE DUNGEON.  This one in particular made me think somewhat of DS, I guess due to the baroque set and costume designs and acting techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlNfT5vXEw&t=4s

I always knew that line about being a "trisexual" was really old--it was interesting to see actual documentation of this.

If you check out other clips from this epic on youtube, there's one that was included in somebody's vlog where the guy recounts meeting John Waters and discussing Milligan's work.  Milligan was the subject of a book length biography, THE GHASTLY ONES, which provides an interesting glimpse into 1960s NYC sleaze culture and how this actually intersected occasionally with the avant-garde. A lot of these films were shot in various locations on Staten Island or elsewhere.

Not really related to Dark Shadows but it all makes me think of the milieu of the time--I am not sure that younger fans may comprehend why I think this way...

Best, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Shades of DS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:32 AM »
This one in particular made me think somewhat of DS, I guess due to the baroque set and costume designs and acting techniques

Definitely.  Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]