Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0649  (Read 2766 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0649
« on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0649
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
Oh dearie me, Madam Findley wants to give Quentin peace, and that's the last thing he wants!

This episode reminded me of episode 361 - the one in which Barnabas terrorized Julia from afar.  I started wondering about what sort of medium Madam Findley was.  There's no doubt she was the real thing; she sensed quite a bit.  But had she never come across a truly nasty ghost before?  She was rather naïve and incautious.  Oh, well, I suppose that the living people that she had previously dealt with were mostly gullible morons who had to be persuaded, theatrically, that there was a Presence in their house.  And if in fact there was no Presence in the house of a gullible moron, would Madam Findley persuade herself that there was one anyway?  Still, she had to have some realism in her.  Professor Stokes had apparently been previously impressed by her, and he had no fairy-tale illusions about the supernatural.

I like to imagine David Selby coming in for his second episode, quite some time (I don't remember how much time) after his first, and asking, "So, what's my boy been up to?"

How long has it been since the last full moon?  I wish we could see the Chris and the werewolf in real time - Chris despairing just after the full moon, pretty cheerful around the time of the new moon, and then getting more and more depressed as the full moon approaches again.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
No, Quentin definitely isn't looking for peace right now. Probably because [spoiler] of the circumstances of his demise and also his relationship with Jamison went sour just before his death. With David he sort of sees a second chance to mend fences since he believes the boy to be Jamison's reincarnation. [/spoiler]

I find it hard to believe that Madam Findley never came across hostile spirits before. She seemed so strong and authoritive at first which I think a medium should be however she was reduced to a weepy, frightened woman after seeing the skeleton (representing her I think) in the mirror. IMO Quentin proved to be too much of an hostile spirit even for her.

Seeing her falling down the stairs gave me quite a jolt as a little girl. I was as terrified as Elizabeth and Julia who were screaming their lungs out. Not that I blame them.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »
I was glad they pointed out that it was Madame as then and now it certainly looked like someone else at the bottom of the stairs.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:25:23 AM »
I like to imagine David Selby coming in for his second episode, quite some time (I don't remember how much time) after his first, and asking, "So, what's my boy been up to?"

Of course my eyes would be glued, as they talked about my veryimportant character without my having to do any more work for awhile, but that's me.   Selby may have been out back in a hammock with lemonade, knowing his time was guaranteed to come.   Or maybe he was practicing "scary" in the bathroom mirror, with heavy eyeliner....  Maybe the strange situation (coming stardom combined with utter inactivity) was gradually building up heavy and healthy reserves of irony within him, which he would then release on the show as inspired sarcasm toward Osc... I mean Edward, later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:34:16 AM »
I had to watch it several times, but I am reasonably certain that it was a stunt double who fell down the stairs (the wig is pretty obvious), falls out of shot, then cuts to another camera where Cadava Humphrey is already splayed out on the floor.  Question is, who was the double?  Alex Stevens, perhaps? [hall2_grin]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 05:00:48 AM »
Question is, who was the double?  Alex Stevens, perhaps? [hall2_grin]

Yep, that was Alex Stevens in drag.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:18 AM »
Madame F's tumble down the stairs was great television, and Liz & Julia's screams were priceless. Odd that Chris remained silent through it all, as he was standing in the foyer alongside them. Having witnessed such, I'm surprised he didn't exclaim, "I don't want my kid sister living in a crazy place like this! Two falls down the staircase in 2 days?!" - but his options were limited, I suppose. Certainly the ladies' screams would have awakened the children, Carolyn, Mrs. Johnson, Vicki, etc. but the episode ended before a Collinwood paparazzi gathered at the top of the landing.

Didn't Gothick once mention seeing a Cavada Humphrey (Madame F) lookalike on the bus one day? I would have winked at the woman and offered, "Stay out of the West Wing, honey."  

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:43:55 AM »
Question is, who was the double?  Alex Stevens, perhaps? [hall2_grin]

Well, we all know how good AS was at abrupt decreases in altitude, like between the second floor and the foyer.   Jump over the railing, tumble down the steps, it don't make no never mind to Alex Stevens Esquire, hairy surrogate to the stars, already.

I think it might've been Mister Juggins though.   His wooden constitution woulda had the stamina to survive such a fall, which would have killed a living organism.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »

I love it.  I am from the drag world (I started performing in 1998 and retired in 2004-2005 though) so I clocked MR. Janet Finley a mile away. Cool to know and thanks!! 

Oh, well, I suppose that the living people that she had previously dealt with were mostly gullible morons who had to be persuaded, theatrically, that there was a Presence in their house.

Goddess Lydia that link mad me almost spit out my coke.  It struck me really sarcastic and funny for some reason. Thanks I needed it!  [skelleton_runs]

Onto the review: I like Cavada a lot, although as Lydia pointed out she is very theatrical.  VERY!  Most DS actors are though aren't they?  I love the scenes betwee en GH and JB, two very talented actresses from different era's and back grounds coming together to do this crazy show.  They are a great combonation! I love the commanding presence JB brings to a scene.

Beautiful shot of GH by the mirror. I have been taking pictures and am gonna start a picture thread!  I will post it at the bottom for GH fans!  I love scenes on the landing, glad to see one in this episode. I kind of wish they would have just sent Joe [spoiler]packing instead of hauling him off to Wyndcliffe![/spoiler] Joel looks gorgeous as ever!  I love the sign of the pentagram.  Great introduction to the plotline!  This was some controversial stuff to be on daytime TV in the 60's of course the 70's are around the corner!  [hall2_wink]  I would love to see the church track that was produced about DS in that era.

The producers are really upping the antics with strings and stunts!  GH looks really rested in this EPA and her acting is on par! This episode includes one of my FAVORITE Grayson screams from the whole show!  LOL  I rewound it 5 times the today!  Plus Joan's mixed in! PRICELESS!!

[BOO] I just love that ghost! SO FUNNY!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
The skeleton in the mirror - I guess that is the same one that was Quentin's?  Good job the kids buried it a couple of eps ago!  [hall2_wink]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »
I like Cavada a lot, although as Lydia pointed out she is very theatrical.  VERY!
But was it the actress who was theatrical, or was it the character?  I think it was the character.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
I think it's hysterically funny that the skeleton in the mirror has Madame Findley's curly wiglet on top of its head.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
I think it's hysterically funny that the skeleton in the mirror has Madame Findley's curly wiglet on top of its head.

A screen capture of that was just posted in this topic on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Year 3" board:
Episode #0649

[hall2_grin]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »
Yay!  Thank you, MB!!