Author Topic: OT - Who CAN Get On  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT - Who CAN Get On
« on: August 15, 2003, 11:45:40 AM »
Yesterday, when the power outages were first happening (well, right AFTER they said no terrorism), I started thinking about:

Raineypark
MB
Birdie
JoeyTrom,
etc, etc.

Who, in NE region, can get out/who has power?

Happy Friday y'all....

Patti

Be Careful...Anne :-*
What a Woman!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Re:Who CAN Get On
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 01:47:34 PM »
We lost power around 4:30pm yesterday while I was at work. We thought a power surge occured due to the heat and a/c usage but on way home heard the news on car radio. Traffic lights were out but traffic was flowing well at major intersections with everyone being cautious and observant of others; some intersections had police or firemen directing traffic. Many fast food places were closing; malls eventually closed; hospitals used generators.

I fixed supper on the grill making burgers and cooking corn in the husk.
Also, we have a 20yo battery operated portable TV for just such emergencies and it was a lifesaver. We kept up to date with the outage.
Just when we started lighting candles and using flashlights, the power came on!  Kept the a/c off to conserve power.

I was back online last night to check email. Hope everyone else that was affected check in.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Who CAN Get On
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 02:28:39 PM »
Thanks for your concern, Patti. :) Luckily, I never lost power. But then, I live two complete states away from some of the people who unfortunately had.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Who CAN Get On
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 08:28:30 PM »
We have power but rolling blackouts...so won't be on much for a while.

Hubby made it home this morning after a night sleeping on his office floor, but he's one of the lucky ones... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 08:38:05 PM »
My house was in some sort of weird isolation area. I got home expecting the worst, and for like 3 blocks in all directions, we had power.

Today was intriguing. Power went out entirely for 2 hours in the library. Patrons walked into the pitch black library and kept trying to turn on the computers. . . didn't quite seem to make the connection (pun intended) between no electricity=no computers  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 11:56:57 PM »
Today was intriguing. Power went out entirely for 2 hours in the library. Patrons walked into the pitch black library and kept trying to turn on the computers. . . didn't quite seem to make the connection (pun intended) between no electricity=no computers

Hmm. Dim bulbs.

--Mark

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 08:24:12 AM »
Hi Patti,
  I was at the pool yesterday when the power outage occured at 4:11pm E.T. We first noticed that the sprinkler system shut down but figured it was some malfunction with the filter since the sprinklers circulate the chlorine throughout the pool. (The pool is almost a landmark and is about 80 yrs.old so we figured anything can go.)

Then the Lifeguards blew the whistle for everyone to get out of the pool. My daughter who's a Lifeguard there came & told us that there was a power outage. Again, we figured it was just the pool & bathouse involved.
 But then the Cops came and told us what had happened and that most of N.E. region had blacked out. People started wondering if this was some kind of terrorist attack and we just wanted to get home.

The traffic lights were all out but everyone was pretty curtious. My Parents have one of those battery operated TV's which was great. (I swear Im getting one of those soon!!)
 Everyone was outside. I sat out with my neighbors until 2:30am. So, between all the candles, flashlights & lanterns, we managed to get by. The heat was too much though! My daughter's wound up sleeping in the livingroom because it was somewhat cooler than upstairs.

Then at 7:50am this morning the power came back on! And I thought, well just in time to tape DS!!!

God only knows how people survived years ago before electricity was invented? You never realize how much you appreciate these things until you have to go without them!

Hope everyone is ok,
Thanks Patti.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 08:44:04 AM »
There was an interview on CNN with a young woman and her aunt who were visiting NYC.  She was looking at colleges (I think NYU) and that's where she was when it happened.  She mentioned having to walk 60 blocks!!  They showed the shoes she bought to replace the nice ones she had been wearing for her interview!  They were on the 37th floor of the hotel.  Everyone was in the lobby but later, they had a generator to get one elevator working and they'd take everyone to the 6th floor and so on.  Well, being the 37th floor, by the time they got to them, the elevator broke!

I think she then told about climbing the stairs - I guess they had some kind of light, because on the 16th floor they lost that!!!

But, what got me was at the end, he mentioned that they had had a chance to see a show this night and asked what they had seen.  They said it encapsulated the experience - "A Long Day's Journey Into Night"!!!!!!  ;D
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 08:50:41 AM »
I think out of all the places to be stuck during the black out being in an elevator had to have been the all time worst!  I heard they had to rescue 800 people from stuck elevators in N.Y alone! What a nightmare!

A friend of mine was right in the middle of having his tooth drilled in the Dentist's chair!  Now that had to be bad.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 04:02:37 AM »
I think out of all the places to be stuck during the black out being in an elevator had to have been the all time worst!  I heard they had to rescue 800 people from stuck elevators in N.Y alone! What a nightmare!

A friend of mine was right in the middle of having his tooth drilled in the Dentist's chair!  Now that had to be bad.

i don't know if the drill went off i think i would have been glad [eek]
the elevator would be tough Matt L was interviewing a woman for  hours and asked her how she went to the "ladies
room" she told him she had some containers with her and he said "too much sharing" well you asked![lol2] always wondered about those DS people too( Trask in that room, locked in wall etc)

jennifer
sorry i always need to know where The WC is!

Massachusetts missed it this time but i remember
1965 [eek]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV