Author Topic: Moments that made you go "WHAT?!!!!"  (Read 23740 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Moments that made you go "WHAT?!!!!"
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2006, 02:48:04 AM »
As a point of interest, I just asked JF if he thought the character of Barnabas was a "drama queen."  He totally did not understand why anyone would think that in the first place.  But I can see how people would think that though I don't agree.

The drama queen comments are interesting. The thought of Barnabas being a drama queen never entered my mind in the whole three years I've been watching DS vidoes. I know he has had lots of tragedy to deal with and I must say that it is J Frid's beautiful and sometimes poetic renditions and amazing ability to pull audiences into his pain and anguish that, I believe, is the key to the character's popularity. For instance, his reaction to Josette being buried and calling her from the grave might be considered dramatic or in this instance "drama queen" material. But, I consider Frid's command of these scenes quite beautiful. These are dramatic and painful moments, spoken with a hurt passion that, in my opinion, can make me watch those scenes over and over again. Rarely, if the writing is there to support him, is Frid dull or trite. I don't consider Barnabas a drama queen but I consider his story quite dramatic and Frid pulls you right in.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »
I don't see the terminology of the phrase to mean anything differently.  If someone is something of a drama queen or a drama queen the suggestion is still there the person is overly melodramatic.  If the whole series is operatic, nearly everyone involved was basically on the same pitch in terms of drama. Methinks, anyway. [hall2_kiss]

Nancy

What you should have asked is if he thought Barnabas was "something of a drama queen."  [hall2_smiley]  But it's too late for that because the idea of Barn not being a drama queen is already in his mind.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2006, 05:04:10 AM »
I don't see the terminology of the phrase to mean anything differently.  If someone is something of a drama queen or a drama queen the suggestion is still there the person is overly melodramatic.

True - but there are degrees. At least methinks so, and that's how Zahir and I have been speaking about it:

... If one goes back and reads Zahir's post, one will note that he says Barnabas was "something of a drama queen," meaning he wasn't necessary a full fledged example but someone who exhibited drama queenish tendancies ...

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.  [hall2_kiss]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2006, 06:56:41 AM »
Oh, yes, MB I do understand the definition you and Zahir were going by in your discussion.  I don't think given Barnabas' situation and the fact he was whacked in the head as a result, I don't believe he exhibited the tendencies of a drama queen to any greater degree than others to the point of singling him out as having said tendencies.  He was in unchartered territory for most beings and  fearful of being exposed at every moment.  It is almost impossible to be melodramatic or overreact to much given his situation.

Did he make rash and potentially self-destructive decisions? Yes.
Nancy

I don't see the terminology of the phrase to mean anything differently.  If someone is something of a drama queen or a drama queen the suggestion is still there the person is overly melodramatic.

True - but there are degrees. At least methinks so, and that's how Zahir and I have been speaking about it:

... If one goes back and reads Zahir's post, one will note that he says Barnabas was "something of a drama queen," meaning he wasn't necessary a full fledged example but someone who exhibited drama queenish tendancies ...

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.  [hall2_kiss]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2006, 07:21:16 AM »
Oh, yes, MB I do understand the definition you and Zahir were going by in your discussion.  I don't think given Barnabas' situation and the fact he was whacked in the head as a result, I don't believe he exhibited the tendencies of a drama queen to any greater degree than others to the point of singling him out as having said tendencies.

Well, as I said:
there is no shortage of drama queens or characters who were something of drama queens on DS.
And I definitely agree with mscbryck that pretty much every DS character has something of the drama queen in them. Certainly at one time or another they do. And besides Carolyn, I mean, just look at the way Roger often acts. I love him, but if he isn't prone to bouts of over-dramatization and exaggeration, no one on DS is!  [hall2_wink]  Actually, almost any member of the entire Collins family throughout all its various generations could be Drama Queen Syndrome's poster child.  [hall2_grin]  Perhaps it's hereditary with them.  [hall_grin]

Truthfully, I think we're basically saying the same thing. We're just not necessarily agreeing on what term to call it.  [hall2_wink]

Para L. Time

« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Oh my lord! I just had the biggest WTF moment just last night viewing a new (for me) episode! Episode 794: [spoiler]Angelique reveals to Barnabas that Quentin is going to marry her in return for her removing the curse. Barnabas tells her not to marry Quentin because SHE'S INTERFERING WITH HISTORY![/spoiler]

Hello! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I nearly spit out my coke when he said that. This coming from the vampire who has his fangs in every pie in 1897! Barnabas has broken every law in the Time Travel Handbook and even drives Dr. Who to tears!

Thank god Angelique replied that Barnabas has already interfered much more than she has! That's one thing I love about Angelique, she sees right through his self-righteous, hypocritical bull shit. I know she was responsible for his vampire curse, but no one twisted Barnabas's arm into being more than just a silent observer of the events unfolding in 1897!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2006, 12:19:51 PM »
Actually, almost any member of the entire Collins family throughout all its various generations could be Drama Queen Syndrome's poster child.  [hall2_grin]  Perhaps it's hereditary with them.  [hall_grin]
Wellllll, speaking as both a Drama Queen and Princess - according to recent testing  [hall2_wink] - and based on many years of personal observation I must say that YES it can definitely be genetic. It doesn't apply to everyone but, there are several individuals on my mother's side who you might think missed their calling in the acting profession.  So, I wouldn't find it difficult to see this as an ongoing Collins trait. Of course with their money you're allowed to call them eccentric¢â‚¬¦if they were poor slobs from the wrong side of Collinsport they'd just be plain nuts. But, I suppose that's another can of chowder.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »
I wouldn't find it difficult to see this as an ongoing Collins trait. Of course with their money you're allowed to call them eccentric¢â‚¬¦if they were poor slobs from the wrong side of Collinsport they'd just be plain nuts. But, I suppose that's another can of chowder.

OMG, *so* true!  The strange rich are 'eccentric' and strange PWTT (poor white trailer trash) are nuts!   [hall2_cool]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Para L. Time

« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:55 PM »
Just wondering why my last post was spoilered? I'm not complaining or anything, I just thought that if the whole topic was spoilered, we didn't have to spoiler anything. If we still have to spoiler our posts in a spoilered topic, than I will be more cryptic with plot points in the future.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2006, 08:30:28 PM »
Just wondering why my last post was spoilered? I'm not complaining or anything, I just thought that if the whole topic was spoilered, we didn't have to spoiler anything. If we still have to spoiler our posts in a spoilered topic, than I will be more cryptic with plot points in the future.

Please don't be more cryptic.  You're right that it isn't required in this topic, and it's the visitor's responsibility to note that an entire topic is spoilered.  (Anyone reading posts via the new post links on the home page who is concerned about spoilers, beware, because message icons don't display in those listings.)  I added the spoiler code as an extra safeguard because the plot point is less common, and since it's preceded by the ep #, readers could figure out for themselves if they want to read one from it.  So I was coming from a better-safe-than-sorry place.   [hall2_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
So I was coming from a better-safe-than-sorry place.   (hall2_smiley)

Which is always best.  [hall_smiley]

I hadn't even considered the links from the recent topics list - nor the links from the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature.  [hall2_embarrassed]  I should most probably consider trying to come up with some sort of spoiler warning for those links as well.  [hall2_wink]  But that will have to wait until after we switch to SMF 1.1.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »
nor the links from the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature.  [hall2_embarrassed]

That does display message icons.  But the "View the 10 most recent posts..." feature and the listing of "Recent posts" don't.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »
Ah, OK. (You can tell I use it so often.  [hall2_cheesy])

How odd that "Show unread posts since last visit" and the Search feature results both display message icons, but "Recent posts" doesn't.  [hall2_undecided]

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
I think I just saw the biggest "What the?!?" moment last night.  In 1897, [spoiler]Count Petofi is posessing Jamison, and Barnabas and Magda have the little hell spawn locked up in a cell.  So Petofi/Jamison spends about 10 seconds pretending he's not posessed anymore, and Magda totally falls for it!  Oh, give me a break!  You just can't make charcters behave that stupidly and still expect us to believe they can dress themselves and find their way around the house without getting lost.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2006, 01:32:46 AM »
In regards to Barnabas' reaction to [spoiler]Angelique telling him she is marrying Quentin[/spoiler] His response was even worse, he said "I have done my best to keep history as it should be"!  That was  WTF moment for me.  Given the fact the as soon as he arrived he meddled in everyone's life and caused all that chaos!
[spoiler]of course the one time he should have interfered--Magda placing the werewolf curse on Quentin, he is nowhere to be found!  And the curse was placed by the woman he was controlling.[/spoiler]