Poll

Which version of Barnabas do you find the more involving and look forward to watching the most?

Human (1968/69/1897/Leviathans)
5 (15.6%)
Vampire (1967/1897/Leviathans)
27 (84.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Good vs. Evil - Poll 2  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Good vs. Evil - Poll 2
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:22:09 AM »
Which version of Barnabas do you find the most involving and look forward to watching the most? As a vampire during 1967, 1897 and Leviathans? Or as a human during 1968/69, 1897 and Leviathans?

(Note: The reason why 1795/96 is not being factored in is because that is probably Barnabas' most interesting storyline for his fans, and the poll is looking for a view of this character other than one during his most popular storyline.)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Good vs. Evil - Poll 2
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 07:28:28 AM »
Well, if I had to pick which one was the most evilest, I'd have to say Barnabas from the Leviathan storyline.  He just seemed truly evil to me and I hated the way he treated Julia and those closest to him.

However, the Barnabas that I most looked forward to watching and seeing again was the 1967 vampire storlyline.  I found the whole thing facinating, how he managed to lure everyone into believing he was the long lost cousin from England and so on.   I also loved the whole thing with Julia arriving on the scene and how she so cleverly found out the truth about him while everyone else was clueless.  So, for me, this one was my favorite.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 07:52:47 AM »
That depends - I guess I identify with him too much, so I like him as a human and when he becomes a vampire again, I think, oh no, he's stuck with that again!  However, in terms of the show, he probably had a lot more good parts as a vampire.
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 12:49:56 PM »
I really liked him when he first appeared as the vampire.  The charactor was so complex.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 02:49:22 PM »
As a vampire during 1967, the cousin from England.  I look forward to watching it again.
[crossbones]
MM

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 03:01:44 PM »
As the Newly released Evil vampire ('67).  . . it can be painful but his interactions with Miss Hoffman, psuedo-historian are great-- she's very provocative with him and he just tries to strangle it right out of her. .which he ultimately does  :(
Julia99

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 08:33:51 PM »
     Barnabas, the cousin from England, captured my attention from the start.  Although I was just a little girl,  he thrilled and scared me.  I was in love.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 10:45:04 PM »
As a vampire in 67. Barnabas was at his most interesting when the producers didn't quite know what was going to happen with the character. He had a very appealing ruthless streak in him that I was sorry to see go as he became more sympathetic.

--Mark

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 05:01:23 PM »
Barnabas was outstanding as a vampire...it made me love him more.  But I loved him more as a human.  Especially when he and  Victoria "I don't understand" Winters have a car wreck and Barnabas, poor Barnabas, has to go to the hospital.  Anyway, to make a long story short, when he see's the sun for the first time, he is so elated, that I was elated too.   [blackbat]

That's Entertainment!!!
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 01:54:31 PM »
i liked all of his roles on the show but Bramwell! (and i think it was more the storyline here not Frid's fault)he was great as both human and vampire!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 11:54:52 PM »
Good/evil, vampire/human, spiky bangs/no bangs, period costumes/60s suits, in love/moping, no sense of humor/glimmerings of sarcasm, torturing Julia/giving her hope, psycho/sweetie pie....

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll take him any way I can get him. :-*

Boy Kading, who is so looking forward to this Tuesday!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 01:48:36 AM »
Barnabas was never better than in 1967 - I really wish he hadn't been redeemed so much, as he seemed infinitely more interesting in his earlier, uncontrollable form.

The problem with the added humanity was that it robbed Barnabas of so many facets, and nothing seemed to emerge to replace all those lost qualities.  In the early days he's intelligent, resourceful, plausible - things that give a villain a real sense of danger.  Even Julia doesn't come close to controlling him - he's very much in control and what always disturbs me is the ruthlessness, you really believe he'd stop at nothing to get what he wants.

Those insidious qualities really do make him a cut above other DS villains - others require characters to develop selective stupidity while plotting and vying for control.  In 1967, Barnabas didn't need that - the really scary thing is that people in Sam and Joe's position wouldn't have suspected him for a moment in real life.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 03:00:11 AM »
Barnabas, poor Barnabas, has to go to the hospital.  Anyway, to make a long story short, when he see's the sun for the first time, he is so elated, that I was elated too.   [blackbat]

Terry308...I had forgotten about that....that is a very good week or two!! I like the tenseness he has near Dr. Lang..."I have to leave"...but the good DR knows his secret.
And yes...Barn revels in enjoying the sun (like all of us on the east coast too!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 04:33:09 AM »
From his first knock on the door to his first meeting with Dr. Julia Hoffman.. Barnabas was ever the suave gentleman Vampire. [vampire]

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 03:19:17 PM »
1967 Barnabas by a long shot!! Although I loved him later on when he was trying to help the family through whatever predicament had befallen them this time, it's his earliest incarnation that gets the vote from me. So sinister, so calculating, it's everything a villan should be.

I love the scene after he first appears and he's standing in the Old House with Vicki, explaining how father and son had had a fight on the stairs, and then leaning over the railing laughing about the son's death. (I think that's all in the same scene).

I don't know if it's the loss of black & white, but for some reason, the post-Maggie returns episodes just don't have the same flair. I think the show was spookier in it's black-and white days (the atmosphere I guess).

~Arashi