Author Topic: Favorite DVD Menu  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Favorite DVD Menu
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:31 AM »
So I popped in my 21st Collection today and what to my wondering eyes did appear? A new menu screen! And my FAVORITE one so far! It's the one with the menu that's overlooking the cliff, Widows Hill maybe?, and the waves are crashing up against the rocks. The music is the Angelique spell music that plays during her spells when she's working her mojo.

That is my favorite one because it's classy and I love to look at it. It's LOADS better than the mausoleum menu screen, which is my least favorite. And the first menu screen with the backdrop of Collinwood and the changing Barnabas faces is right there in the middle.

Just thought I'd post something to express my joy with the new menu screen and see what others had to say about it. I wonder if they'll continue with this cliff menu screen when they release the Beginning DVDs, or if it'll be a new menu screen. Any thoughts?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite DVD Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:02 AM »
 :) Having the DVD's is new to me and I'm just getting used to the menu screens. In order to keep up with the watching project I am watching collection 1, to keep up with the Robservations on Jackie's board I am watching collection 14 (1897 storyline) and I have been watching in my spare time collection 22, the summer of '70 storyline, and this gives me all three menu screens. I don't care for the first menu screen since the numbers are so small and they're squinched on the bottom of the screen and I have a bit of trouble seeing them. The ones from collection 14 are a lot easier, but I have to admit the ones from collection 22 are more interesting. I like the music from this one better too. I'm not sure just which collections have each screen but it's fun to have the DVD's and be able to watch them. This is something I have long wanted.

Oh you asked if this is what is used for the rest of the show, I think so. I did watch through collection 26 and I think it was this particular screen for the rest of the show.

Alondra

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
So I popped in my 21st Collection today and what to my wondering eyes did appear? A new menu screen! And my FAVORITE one so far! It's the one with the menu that's overlooking the cliff, Widows Hill maybe?, and the waves are crashing up against the rocks. The music is the Angelique spell music that plays during her spells when she's working her mojo.

That is my favorite one because it's classy and I love to look at it. It's LOADS better than the mausoleum menu screen, which is my least favorite. And the first menu screen with the backdrop of Collinwood and the changing Barnabas faces is right there in the middle.

I've only seen the first two so far (I just cracked open collection 17) I thought the first menu was beautiful, and think the second sucks eggs. I'm glad to hear you like the third better, I'm looking forward to seeing it. If you or anyone else could post a screen-grab, that would be great -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:34:01 PM »
I like all 3 equally, but for different reasons.  The first one is just too cool for school, BUT it takes too long to get to the episode list.  The second one isn't as nice aestetically (sp?) as the first one, but it gets you to the ep list QUICK and I like that!  The third has the best music, hands down.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:42:29 PM »
Well, COOL.  Looking forward to seeing these new menus.  I had no idea.

Looking forward also to the first reviews of the Beginning set 1 and what menus it has.... :D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
That reminds me, I am new to DVD's, having always used videos, but I was surprised that I couldn't fast forward to the menu. You have to wait through all the preliminary stuff. Yes on the first sets you do have a longer wait. So sometimes I'll stick the disc in and then go grab a cup of coffee or something, then when I come back it's ready for me to select an episode. But I wonder why they won't let you just fast forward to the menu.

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »
That reminds me, I am new to DVD's, having always used videos, but I was surprised that I couldn't fast forward to the menu.

That's actually a feature of the player you're watching on more than it is the DVD itself. Most if not all DVD players and Windows DVD playing software won't allow you to fast forward/skip right to the menu.  ::)  However, Linux software will. Yet another advantage to using Linux.  [b003]

And as requested, here's a screen capture of the cliff menu:

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »
I love the newest menu the most....the music, the graphics. I thought it was time they did a menu with the ocean, the waves and the rocks on it....it just fits in with the show just right.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:46 PM »
And as requested, here's a screen capture of the cliff menu

Thank you , MB - I like it, I like it a lot!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
Thanks so much for the screen grab, MB! I suck at those! lol.

Anyway, isn't that menu just beautimous?! I also like these menus because it takes A LOT less time to get to the episode lists, at least on Set 21 it does anyway....It just pops right up and there ya go! Although the first few times I did just sit there and listen to the music and watch the waves crash up against the rocks. I like to listen to the scores all the way through until they loop arond to begin again.

I'm really wondering if this same menu will be on the Beginning Collection, Set 27 et al, or if they'll update it yet again to have a new one.

I think the DVD menus go something like this:

Original Collinwood w/Barnabas Faces Menus: Sets 1-10 (or maybe 1-11)
Crypt Menu: Sets 11-20 (or 12-20)
Cliff Menu: 21-26 (this I know for SURE. lol)
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:23:48 AM »
That's actually a feature of the player you're watching on more than it is the DVD itself. Most if not all DVD players and Windows DVD playing software won't allow you to fast forward/skip right to the menu.  ::)  However, Linux software will. Yet another advantage to using Linux.  [b003]

On my computer DVD player, it allows me to "review playback from last scene" which is wonderful.  I can be watching several different discs and whichever one I place in, it will remember what episode/scene I stopped at.  No such luck on my DVD player.  I know newer DVD players have the feature to return to last scene.

I like all 3 equally, but for different reasons.  The first one is just too cool for school, BUT it takes too long to get to the episode list.  The second one isn't as nice aestetically (sp?) as the first one, but it gets you to the ep list QUICK and I like that!  The third has the best music, hands down.  ;)

I agree with you Buzz, I think the first is too slow at arriving to the episode list.  The others are faster.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:06 AM »
This is Off-Topic as far as DS is concerned, but since the workings of DVDs are being discussed - I might as well try asking it.

If I'm watching a movie and stop it, when I come back, if I press "play," it will sometimes start from where I left off and other times it goes back to the beginning.  As far as I can tell, I do the same things each time, but I have no idea how to make sure it picks up from where I left off.
Josette

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 03:01:52 PM »
This is Off-Topic as far as DS is concerned, but since the workings of DVDs are being discussed - I might as well try asking it.  If I'm watching a movie and stop it, when I come back, if I press "play," it will sometimes start from where I left off and other times it goes back to the beginning.  As far as I can tell, I do the same things each time, but I have no idea how to make sure it picks up from where I left off.

Don't know if this will be helpful info or not, but my player will pick up where I left off IF I TURN IT ON W/THE REMOTE!  If I turn it on by pushing the button on the machine it will start over at the beginning.  Not sure why this is, nor why my recorder, which IS newer, won't keep it's place no matter what. 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 04:01:16 AM »
This is Off-Topic as far as DS is concerned, but since the workings of DVDs are being discussed - I might as well try asking it.

If I'm watching a movie and stop it, when I come back, if I press "play," it will sometimes start from where I left off and other times it goes back to the beginning.  As far as I can tell, I do the same things each time, but I have no idea how to make sure it picks up from where I left off.

I suggest you try the "pause" button instead of "stop".  My machine works like this:  if I use pause and walk away for a length of time, the machine will turn on a screen saver first and then shut off altogether.  All I have to do is use the "play" button again and it turns the machine on and starts the DVD where I paused it.  If I turn my machine off with the "off" button and leave the DVD in the machine, I can start it up again like the pause.  But if I take the DVD out of the machine, I can't start where I left off.  I usually keep a piece of paper with the chapter number on it with the DVD if I don't finish it so I can start it where I left off.  Hope this helps.  :)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions.  I usually use the remote, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.  If I'm just stopping for a short time, I could use pause, but if I'm stopping for the day and not coming back to it until the next day, or, if I'm going to leave the underlying television program on while it's stopped, I normally wouldn't think of using pause.

I'm still puzzled by why it sometimes works the one way and at other times, the other way.  If it's supposed to go back to 0, all right, but then why does it sometimes stay put?!!!
Josette