Author Topic: OT Hawkes Harbor  (Read 661 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
OT Hawkes Harbor
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
a neighbor recently moved and left a stack of books out in the hall...

one of them was 'hawkes harbor' by s.e. hinton. I picked it up.

can someone please refresh my memory on this. doesn't this have some sort of loose DS connection? is it a backstory of some sort on the willie loomis/jason mcquire relationship? I feel like it was something of that nature.

has anyone read it? is it worth a read?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT Hawkes Harbor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
It was suppose to be an installation in the HarperCollins rebooted DS novel series (kicked off with Angelique's Descent).  The story interestingly enough focused on Willie Loomis and jumped back and forth between the "current day" with Willie as Barnabas' companion and his life leading up to meeting Jason Maguire.

Although it would've been a homerun slam to have an author as impressive as Ms. Hinton making a contribution, apparently HarperCollins rejected the novel because of several rather racy parts and then the HarperCollins project collapsed completely.  Ms. Hinton renamed all the characters and locations (Collinsport became Hawkes Harbor) and published it as a stand-alone work, but any DS fan will recognize clearly who is who.  Somehow, she left a name unchanged just one time, a nice surprise for DS fans.

I found it a wonderful read and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Be warned, though, the end is a tear-jerker.  I actually wept.

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Hi Michael  i just  googled  it  by typing in " Hawkes  Harbor  it will give you all the info on the book.
           Hope that helps.     Love  Anne   [ghost_smiley]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
thanks gerard...

on your recommendation i'll give it a look. I've always found the willie/jason relationship to be an interesting and underexplored side of the story.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.