Author Topic: Favorite Scene  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Favorite Scene
« on: September 26, 2005, 10:21:53 PM »
What is your favorite scene on Dark Shadows? My favorite scene was when Chris brought Amy to Collinwood after her  encounter with the Leviathans. She hugs him and tells him that she loves him.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Favorite Scene
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:57:33 AM »
In 1840 when Julia almost spills the beans to Barnabas about her feelings but she stops and he then tells her he isn't afraid of anything anymore. . .then walks out into the daylight for the first time in a year or two . ..
Julia99

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:17:42 AM »
Hmm, this is really tough, but I think the scene that has stayed with me the longest is that which has Barnabas and Rachel Drummond talking in the drawing room in 1897 for the first time:  I love her "I'm a romantic, I'm afraid" speech!  That one scene completely encapsulates the feelings and emotions behind DS--you have Barnabas, still longing for his ideal woman, speaking to the ingenue, STY character, but I love the dialogue--I'm such a romantic myself (but less ditzy, hopefully).  Classic DS.

Runner up is that scene when Angelique descends to Hell--did any other TV show even think of transporting its characters to Hell and have them speak with the Devil himself back then?  I doubt that any other soap has done that before or since.  I love the imagery in that scene--Angelique is wearing her long, flowing white gown with her hair like glistening gold.  She looks like an angel of some sort, and there she is, talking to Satan!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:13:36 AM »
My fav scene is 1795 Baranabas' death with Josette - however, I'm getting into some interesting 1895 stuff and just gotta love JF. From the moment he comes back to life "again" the energy starts to crackle. Love Quentin/Petrofi and Edward leading a strangely odd acting Barnabas around trying to figure out if he is the real vampire or a Collins victim. Just WHO was JF portraying? Some Shakespearean character he remembered. Very interesting. And later that evening Barnabas (or is it?) being introduced to Lady Kitty and Edward's engagement. Just watching the mixed emotions coming from him are totally fascinating. How he excuses himself after a few seductive glances at Kitty/Josette. And then seeing Barnabas (by this time I've guessed it IS Barnabas) sadly reflecting in his chair if he must re-live Josette marrying another again. I honestly gaped at the screen and thought about it all day. I adore many of the actors but this guy just blows them away. Also, it was nice to see more confidence from Frid, less hesitation with his lines, and more convincing in a sexual sense. Love this DVD!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 07:30:25 PM »
The reading of Grandmamamama's will in 1897 by Judith before her stunned brothers Edward, Quentin and Carl, informing them that she cleaned up and they basically ended up with diddly.  Everything about it was perfection, from writing to acting.  The scene demonstrated how emotionally charged and classy DS could be.

Gerard

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 07:51:51 PM »
The reading of Grandmamamama's will in 1897 by Judith before her stunned brothers Edward, Quentin and Carl, informing them that she cleaned up and they basically ended up with diddly.  Everything about it was perfection, from writing to acting.  The scene demonstrated how emotionally charged and classy DS could be.

I honestly was drawing a blank until you said that. Mind you, I haven't seen every episode, but that scene in particular sticks out in my mind. Stellar acting on all parts. :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »
Serious Spoilers!!
[/color][/size]

[spoiler]-In 1970PT, when Hoffman is about to stake Barnabas, all of a sudden RT Julia kills her(self)!!!!

Also, when Alexis is saying 'goodbye' to her sister Angelique, then all of a sudden!!!![/spoiler]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:10:12 PM »
Hands down, the Cassandra slap.

I still remember my jaw dropping back in '68...

G.

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 09:47:25 PM »
My favorite scenes with KLS in it.

1.)She sings "LONDON BRIDGE" w/ or w/o Sarah's ghost, I sing along to it.
2.)When she saids to Joe "Look, I take a good book or a box of candies for a gift anyday of the week!" and Joe replied "You would?"
3.)Any love scenes that KLS was in (i.e. with Jonathan Frid, John Karlen, the late Joel Crothers, and David Selby).

That's why she's my favorite character and role-model, and a real sex-symbol!
Spencer H. Karter

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 07:44:33 PM »
I always get a chuckle out of the scene (in 1897) where the possessed Charity Trask a/k/a Pansy Faye is shocking her father Gregory Trask with her randy "ta-ra-ra-boom-di-yay" song. At one point, Nancy Barrett playfully bumps her hip against Jerry Lacy, and the expression on his face is hysterical.

Another favorite is a simple scene between Barnabas & Julia in the gazebo, around the time Dr. Lang offers Barnabas a cure for his affliction. Barn says something along the lines of "I could be a free man..." and Julia counters, "..Or a DEAD one!" Both Frid and Grayson are in top form during this exchange, and it showed that the two characters were no longer enemies - but now confidants.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:19:40 PM »
There are SO many, but I'll limit myself to the top 12:
1. When Barnabas is told that Josette & Jeremiah are married-the pain and anguish in his eyes & voice, classic!  Thank god Frid convinced DC to let him fix his flub.
2. Sarah's death, you can really feel Barnabas' pain at losing his beloved sister.
3. In 1897, the tower room scene between Angelique & Barnabas when she tries to convince him she's chaged etc...Excellant dialogue perfectly executed by Frid & Parker.  A true keeper!
4. 1841-the "Don't be gentle..." scene between Catherine & Bramwell after their one night of passion.  More great dialogue from the writers & awesome chemistry between Frid & Parker.
5. When Angelique curses Barnabas in 1795.  It couldn't be duplicated which is why, I guess, the 1991 didn't do the same kind of scene.
6. 1897-Barnabas is comforting Jenny who's feeling down about herself.  It's such a sweet scene to see our favorite vampire making a crazy woman feel good about herself by telling her she IS beautiful & worthy of being loved.
7. 1840-when Barnabas presents himself to Trask who'd thought he was dead.  The best part is when Barnabas says, "Goodnight" w/a look of pure relish on his face.  You could practically see the canary feathers in his mouth!
8. 1967-the scene where Barnabas tells Vicki & Carolyn about the night Josette died.  Frid must have rehersed that over & over as he was spot on & didn't go up once or look for the teleprompter.  A truly wonderful, & creepy, scene.  Classic DS!
9. When Maggie escapes the celler cell & Barnabas is chasing her through the secret corridors of the Old House.  Truly haunting, I'm glad they only have that on kinoscope as it makes it all the more frightening, like an old Bela Lugosi flick.
10. Barnabas' death in 1795, Josette is grief stricken, good acting by KLS.
11. First ep of 1995 when Roxanne dies & Barnabas is lamenting it.  Julia makes a comment to the effect that "one can learn to live w/heartache if they must" or something like that.  The angst Grayson pulled off is amazing!  And the guiltly look by Barnabas/Frid, when he realized his faux paus, was great too.
12. 1840-when Barnabas finally I-Chings himself into his 1840 body & convinces Julia he's the Barnabas of the future.  Love that hug!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 08:28:50 PM »
Okay, one more I forgot about.  The scene in 1968 at the Gazabo between Nicholas & Angelique/Cassandra when he accuses her of acting "like a common suburban housewife w/little human problems"!  I literally laughed out loud the first time I saw that scene.  :D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 05:20:14 AM »
i loved the julia and cassandra "moment" as well!

like gothick jaw dropped.i just listed a few others at the dvd volume 12 thread too.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 11:32:55 AM »
My fave is the one where Barnabas tells Willie that the difference between him and Miss Winters is a gap as wide as the sky. Barn goes on to talk about growing old and ugly and how nothing can touch you when you're immortal and Willie replies"Nothing except lonliness."

Then there's the scene where Sam Evans is in the Blue Whale. A girl is frantic because she saw a bat outside. Sam comments that there are bats all over the place (or something to that effect). As he's leaving he points to the window and cries, "Look! A bat!!"
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
Buzz-- great list and thanks for the elaboration.

Just some that occur at the moment...

Yes, the cursing scene in 1795.   You don't see real, gut-level desperation and hatred like that on TV, much.    We see this innocence and vulnerability from BC over Sara, then the bad rubber bat on the string (too bad about that part) rips all of that humanity right out of him.   That yell of Frid's is perfect and heartbreaking.

Briefly, since I've said these before I think:

[spoiler]Trask entering parallel time and dying at the same time, and having to come to grips with both in the space of a few seconds.[/spoiler]

I'd better think of some I haven't mentioned before.   Later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor