Author Topic: Interest In New Dark Shadows  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
Interest In New Dark Shadows
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:10:01 PM »
Looking over the numbers of replies to the different subjects in Current Talk I noticed the high numbers for the 1991 DVD, 122 at this time, and the 2004 pilot, 58. This shows that the number of people interested in a new Dark Shadows are pretty high. If a new show were to come out and of course have great writing, great acting, great sets, and great FX, the interest in everything Dark Shadows would go up. Don't you think?

Misa

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Interest In New Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 10:23:37 PM »
I think so...But which form of media for Dark Shadows do you think would be the MOST popular?

Daily soap opera like the original?
Weekly primetime drama like the 2004 pilot?
Box-office movie?

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »
I'd want either a major motion picture or a primetime show. It would be nearly impossible to make the time to watch a soap opera, and they really don't have the budget that a movie or night time show would have.

Misa

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:30:14 AM »
although this would never happen i think it could be cool to do a verbatim re-telling of the original show.
sort of like when gus van zant re-told psycho.it would be quite radical.

they could combine two episodes to create a one hour episode(like most other soaps)which would make the whole thing faster paced and the story could be told in two and a half years rather than five.perhaps one of the more progressive cable channels could run it.

just a thought.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 02:51:18 AM »
I think so...But which form of media for Dark Shadows do you think would be the MOST popular?

Daily soap opera like the original?
Weekly primetime drama like the 2004 pilot?
Box-office movie?

Supernatural soap operas aren't big at this time. When Port Charles ripped off Dark Shadows, it didn't last too long and the ratings were poor. Passions cut back on their supernatural stories since the last time I watched the show and I believe it was because of ratings. It doesn't look like soap opera form would work for DS again.

I must be one of the rare fans who hates the idea of a remake. It would be a copy of the original and that would be pointless to watch. If it was like those Superman shows (Lois & Clark, Smallville) which have different settings and stories, than I would watch it. But like the 91 version, they seem to want to redo the 1795 story, how Barnabas first came into the show, and everything else. I love how the original did their storylines and wouldn't care to see a different take on it. And I'm sure I'm not the only fan who feels this way.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 06:18:43 AM »
I personally believe the only thing that could find widespread acceptance among die-hard fans as well as the general public would be a next-generation type show in prime time.  This could be a story involving Collinsport and the new (and some of the old) generation.  It could have a new title and stand on its own for a new audience... but be true enough to its history to interest DS fans.

And excellent direction, writing, and acting would be a necessity, of course.

At least that's what I'd love to see!!  :)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »
I think a weekly prime-time show could be a hit.  I can't think of the names of all of them but the fall tv season is going to have a lot of super-natural, horror type programming.  One is called 'Threshold' but  I can't remember any of the others. The demographics for today's tv is a lot younger than I am so the actors would have to be perfectly beautiful and as little imput into the storyline as possible by anyone over 30. Ha! I would be ready to like it anyway.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 03:48:49 PM »

I'd also like a next generation type DS with new storylines and characters combined with some of the original characters and some of the older storylines coming back to haunt the new characters.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 03:57:02 PM »
I think a weekly prime-time show could be a hit.  I can't think of the names of all of them but the fall tv season is going to have a lot of super-natural, horror type programming.  One is called 'Threshold' but  I can't remember any of the others. The demographics for today's tv is a lot younger than I am so the actors would have to be perfectly beautiful and as little imput into the storyline as possible by anyone over 30. Ha! I would be ready to like it anyway.

I totally agree with you that a new DS would be a sure fire hit. I agree that the casting needs to be on the young side although I am hoping that a new Barnabas will be over 30 years old. Ben Cross did fine in the 91 series. Hopefully MGM will market the hell out of the 91 series dvd release to draw attention to the franchise and prove to the networks that there is plenty of life left in this immortal show.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »
Hail Satan!
I agree wih you regarding the idea of a remake.  If it were a REALLY different angle on some of the characters and themes, that would whet my interest much more.  I have to say that the reports of the 2004 pilot made it sound as if the people behind it were bringing some genuinely fresh material and ideas to the subject matter.

If it were a remake, it would invite comparison with the original, and I just don't think it's a good idea.  How do you equal something that was so magical in the first place, with such an extraordinary cast?

I also don't agree with KLS that the scripts of DS are like Shakespeare, and we could see just anybody playing those roles.

OK, I feel a rant coming on, so it's time for me to stop.

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 08:43:34 PM »
Dang it G, you beat me to it... ;D

If it were a remake, it would invite comparison with the original, and I just don't think it's a good idea.  How do you equal something that was so magical in the first place, with such an extraordinary cast?
I also don't agree with KLS that the scripts of DS are like Shakespeare, and we could see just anybody playing those roles.

Not to sound redundant, but for the most part, I agree wholeheartedly...

OK, I feel a rant coming on, so it's time for me to stop.

Rant on dahling, rant on...[wink]

kiss kiss,

H

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »
In addendum to the above post (so people don't misinterpret where I'm coming from). I'm NOT opposed to a new fresh take on DS - however, I do wary of a remake at the same time...JF and GH will always be Barnabas and Julia to me (sigh). One of the many curses of being a Gemini - I always have two opinions working at the same time. It's madness I tell ya!  LOL

Anyhoo, Just my opinion -  I could be wrong (darlings).

Hugs,
Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »
Supernatural soap operas aren't big at this time. When Port Charles ripped off Dark Shadows, it didn't last too long and the ratings were poor. Passions cut back on their supernatural stories since the last time I watched the show and I believe it was because of ratings. It doesn't look like soap opera form would work for DS again.

I agree with what you're saying here, but I saw the trailer to the new DS and thought it was spectacular. As a prime time programmer, it may have worked. I was impressed with the actors, the art direction, and the storyline. My take.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 05:16:04 AM »
The new pilot sounded very interesting I would love to see TPTB use the script, or just finish the pilot and air it. If it gets good ratings then they can recast and put the show on TV.

If a new Dark Shadows is on the air the interest in all things Dark Shadows will be revived and more people will become fans of the original too.

Misa

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 07:55:56 PM »
If a new Dark Shadows is on the air the interest in all things Dark Shadows will be revived and more people will become fans of the original too.

Yes indeed.  There is a good possibility that someone would begin airing the original.  The 2004 Pilot was well written and had a fresh take on old material.  I believe with some polishing it would have been a hit for the WB.

Whenever you have a hit of the new, the old catalog moves along with it.