Poll

Who do you think should have had the honor of doing the final voiceover at ep's end?

Thayer David
5 (10.9%)
Grayson Hall
1 (2.2%)
Lara Parker
1 (2.2%)
Jon Frid
12 (26.1%)
K. L. Scott
1 (2.2%)
David Selby
1 (2.2%)
Louie Edmonds
2 (4.3%)
Joan Bennett
7 (15.2%)
Nancy Barrett
1 (2.2%)
Alexandra Moltke
9 (19.6%)
John Karlen
1 (2.2%)
Diana Millay
0 (0%)
Roger Davis
0 (0%)
Don Briscoe
0 (0%)
Kate Jackson
0 (0%)
Jerry Lacy
0 (0%)
Dennis Patrick
0 (0%)
Donna Wandrey
0 (0%)
Marie Wallace
0 (0%)
James Storm
0 (0%)
H. A. Astredo
0 (0%)
Clarice Blackburn
0 (0%)
Chris Bernau
0 (0%)
Terry Crawford
0 (0%)
Chris Pennock
0 (0%)
Joel Cruthers
0 (0%)
Virginia Vestoff
0 (0%)
Mike Stroka
0 (0%)
Mitchell Ryan
0 (0%)
Anthony George
0 (0%)
David Ford
0 (0%)
Dan Curtis
5 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: December 27, 2006, 04:27:09 AM

Author Topic: Ep 1245's final voice-over  (Read 4065 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Ep 1245's final voice-over
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:48:25 AM »
Pick up to three. Feel free to discuss your choices. Happy voting!

IluvBarnabas

Re: Ep 1245's final voice-over
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:19:04 AM »
Well Alexandra Moltke is out of the question since she was long gone by the time the show ended, same for Joel Crothers, David Ford, Anthony George.

I would say Joan Bennett, Louis Edmonds or Nancy Barrett.....it should have been one of those three to do the honor since they were the only original actors from the very beginning to stay to the end (even if Joan and Louis did take extended leaves from the show from time to time).

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:23:25 AM »
I figured as long as they weren't dead, they could be invited back and given the honor. That's why I picked A. Moltke as one of my choices. I meant to put Dan Curtis as an option but I forgot.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:29:54 AM »
I just added Dan Curtis. I think that would have been cool.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 04:30:47 AM »
I picked Jonathan, Joan, and Dan.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:54 AM »
I figured as long as they weren't dead, they could be invited back and given the honor. That's why I picked A. Moltke as one of my choices.

Actually I wouldn't have minded if Alexandra had done the last voiceover, maybe even put in a cameo appearance. Did Dan ever ask her, or was he still holding a grudge against her for refusing to return to the show as Vicki?

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 07:19:34 AM »
I picked Alexandra, since she started it i felt she should have ended it.

followed by Joan and Jonathan...if AM wouldn't then one of the others would have been good

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
I picked, in order of preference:  (1) Alexandra Moltke, because she started it at the beginning; (2) Dan Curtis, because he was the creator of the show; and (3) Jonathan Frid, because he was the major star of the show.

----- Sally -----

[santa_cool]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:24:05 PM »
I picked Alexandra, since she started it i felt she should have ended it.

followed by Joan and Jonathan

Those would have been my sentimental choices, too.  [santa_smiley]  But storylinewise, having Keith Prentice/Morgan, who was also in the episode, do the final voiceover might have made more sense. Still being very much alive, Ben (or Bramwell or Flora) could have been looking back from some perspective in the future - but that wasn't actually made as clear as it might or should have been. However, as has been an often used literary device, Morgan [spoiler]in death could have been aware of future events,[/spoiler]and he would have been capable of laying them out exactly as the final voiceover does. Though, of course, I realize that the very idea of Prentice/Morgan doing that final voiceover would be positively horrifying to some.  [santa_shocked]  [santa_wink]

Interestingly, I seem to recall reading that the closing voiceover doesn't even appear in the final script. It was something that was decided upon at some point later on after the script had already been completed.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 03:06:02 PM »
Still being very much alive, Ben (or Bramwell or Flora) could have been looking back from some perspective in the future -

A little off topic, but you got me thinking about something MB.  Ben, in 1841 PT, was [spoiler]relatively young, but in 1840 RT he was an aged man.  Makes me wonder if PT Ben was actually Ben Jr., and the Ben counterpart of 1795/1840 Ben was deceased.[/spoiler]

Hmmmmm......   [santa_cool]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 06:00:22 PM »
I picked A. Moltke, Grayson Hall, and Thayer David.

It would've been nice to have Vicki come back and do the final voiceover, as others have said, since she was the first character we saw and then she'd also be the last we heard. It seems appropriate.

I picked Grayson because I always enjoy her VOs, no matter what time period it is.

And as far as Thayer David goes, I agree with whoever said in this thread or the one it sparked from, that Prof. Stokes was acceptable to me doing it because he naturally fit the "summing it all up" role of the show.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 03:26:51 AM »
i haven't seen the 1841 storyline so i don't know what character thayer david plays but he does seem like an odd choice to me.

since jonathan and grayson were essentially the "protagonists" by this point i would have assumed it would have been one of them.

alexandra is the sentimental choice since she recited the first episode voiceover but since she was already long gone it wouldn't have made much sense(indeed viewers who tuned in during the later part of the show's run would not have known who victoria winters was).especially since this was a "parallel time" storyline that bore no direct relationship to the 1966 characters.

so my vote goes to joan,nancy and louis since they were the only actors who stayed with the show from begining to end.joan bennett in particular had that cool patrician tone that would have suited the final voiceover nicely.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 06:13:42 AM »
The voiceover was definitely not in the script, since it undoes what just happened in the scene immediately preceding it (saying the bite wasn't from a vampire).     I imagine Thayer got the "honor" because he was handy and in the building.    Things were rushed on DS, even at the end.

A Moltke makes sense.    Come to think of it, that would have been a sweet moment (first time in my life I've ever used the word "sweet" positively!) and would have meant something.    Frid... okay but obvious.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »
I wonder if they picked Thayer David simply because his voice sounded so good.  There was a regal, but earthy, character to it, having authority and presence.

Gerard

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:39:29 AM »
I missed this vote.  If I had voted, it would have been for JF.  I love hearing his voice.  Since their practice was to use an actor that was to play in that episode, they would have had to have many of these people listed come back and be on the show.  I think Thayer David did the ending voiceover and his voice would have worked for the opening voiceover too.  I'm glad Grayson Hall did it.   ;D
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/