Author Topic: Will We Ever See A New DS? Or would you want to?  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Will We Ever See A New DS? Or would you want to?
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
I am new here.  Hello I am Taeylor.  I discovered DS in about 1986 through my moms old record!   I loved the music.  A couple years later, I of course found out about the 1991 version and watched and was hooked.  I was terribly upset when it was cancelled.  So for me that was my first (visual) DS experience!  Then after that I was so hungry for more DS I started watching the original and love it just as much. 

I was wondering if anyone thinks after 2004's failed pilot (which I was so excited about, the WB should have worked on it and fixed it, why through 6 million down the drain??!!?!) there will be another incarnation in the future!  I really hope so.  I know DC is gone, and some will probably think it will never happen, but I would LOVE to see a new successful version!  But I would want it done right! What about you guys???  Thanks for having me on the boards.  I love it here!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Will We Ever See A New DS? Or would you want to?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:24 PM »
Welcome Taeylor! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

I think a lot of us were disappointed that the 2004 DS was rejected, I would have at least liked to have seen the pilot. And yes throwing 6 billion bucks down a rathole was stupid but I guess they do this every day. I could make better use of that kind of money.

I liked the 1991 DS, but having grown up with the original, being a "ran home from school to watch DS" kid, nothing else can compare. It's a shame that the 1991 DS ended after only 12 episodes, especially with that cliffhanger at the last.

What characters and storylines do you like in the original DS? How much of it have you seen?

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 11:09:11 PM »
I would always compare it to the original. I hate to see it if they went over the same old ground again. Now if they moved forward they might not have to replace Barnabas and the other charactors the way that we remember them. That might be better.  There is only one Barnabas. I was one of the run home from school kids too!

Welcome Taylor  ;)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
Welcome to the DS forum Taeylor!!  You are bound to have fun if you are a DS fan!  ;D

My first exposure to DS was back in the last 60's, after it had been on for years.  I remember the story with Barnabas and Quentin as main characters/heros.  I also fell in love it the original and no others compare.  I was pig-headed in the 90's and refused to watch the revival because I couldn't imagine anyone else being Barnabas Collins except Jonathan Frid.  Thankfully, a few years ago a friend lent me her videos of the first 6 episodes of the 91 revival and keeping an open mind [this time] I enjoyed it.  Since it was a rehash of the original Barnabas/Josette/Victoria story, it wasn't new to me but they did make some changes that were interesting.  When the DVD version of the Revival came out, I bought the set to add to the complete DS DVD collection I now own.

Your question is would I want another new DS series?  Personally, I'd like to see new stories instead of rehashing the old ones that were already done by the original cast.  I'd like to see the setting in present time, with the children and grandchildren of the original Collins and having the children from the past be the adults now.  Another idea I'd love to see materialize would be for the story to start in 1971, after Barnabas, Julie and Prof. Stokes return from their trip in the past, and see what happened.  There are so many great fanfic stories about this already that some could be great for a TV series.
  [book2]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:16:54 AM »
Welcome Taeylor!  8)

I would like to see a Next Generation DS set in modern times (perhaps flashbacks could be to eras that weren't visited on the original show, like the 1920s or 1860s so that we wouldn't have to worry about re-casting Judith or Joshua).  However, I dislike remakes and have no desire to see another version of Victoria on th train or Barnabas being released from his coffin.

ProfStokes

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Taeylor! Hope you have fun posting here.

I must confess I never warmed up to the 1991 series....I never cared much for the new actors (except Jean Simmons and Joanna Going). Another problem I had with the revival was there just wasn't enough character development in the twelve episodes that was aired. It was all gore, but little substance.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'd be against another attempt to bring DS back on the air, but they would have to #1 find the right actors for the characters this time and #2 do a better job of fleshing out the characters and the storylines than the 1991 show did.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:27:04 AM »
Hi Taeylor. I too, extend my welcomes.

I recently viewed a number of clips of the 91 series on You Tube and was quite impressed by it. I've heard many negative reviews of it, and was discouraged from watching it. I'm planning on picking up a copy for viewing sometime in the near future.

I saw the 04 Pilot, and it DID have problems. It was interesting, but upon reading a little more into the 91 series, it seemed to be VERY similiar to the pilot of that series, so not much was missed I guess if you didn't see it. (BTW--I wrote up a complete synopsis of it in my 06 fest report, that's on this board-- I believe it's in the Calendar/Events 06 section. I'd link it myself but it wouldn't work because I have IE7 (blast!) and IE7 don't mesh. lol Maybe one of the Gods will help me out *wink*)

I liked the 04 pilot, except for the last scene, and agree that it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE waste of time and money to dump 6 mil. into it and never make anything of it. It came out rather well and I would've liked it to continue.

I agree with the others who have said that DS needs to be updated. The kids--David, Amy, Hallie, etc etc--need to grow up and be the adults. DS: The Next Gen, basically. I'm writing a pilot script myself for fun right now based on that very idea, and if I EVER get it done, I plan to post it online and hopefully people will read it and say whether they like it or not.

It's widely agreed upon that since DC is dead that DS has a better chance of coming back and being better than it was before. DC was terribly protective of his "baby" and wanted to rehash the same old story time and time again, which is why it became so dry after a while. So, now that's he gone and can watch over from above, it's more likely that a new production team and writers will be able to take bigger leaps with the overall story.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:02:31 AM »
Where did you see the pilot Brandon?

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 05:24:50 AM »
i would love a new DS..

either the traditonal re-hash or a next-gen series would be enjoyable.

maybe do a version that finally reveals Victoria's parentage...

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 05:26:43 AM »
Was Vicki's parentage even an issue in the 91 series?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 05:51:06 AM »
(BTW--I wrote up a complete synopsis of it in my 06 fest report, that's on this board-- I believe it's in the Calendar/Events 06 section. I'd link it myself but it wouldn't work because I have IE7 (blast!) and IE7 don't mesh. lol Maybe one of the Gods will help me out *wink*)

Click the link, then scroll halfway down the post to the heading:

The Pilot--...

;)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »
Thank you, Midnite *bows ever-so-graciously* I knew you'd come through!

And to dom-- Saw the pilot at the 06 Fest. I'm sure they'll screen it at this years fest too. If I'm not mistaken they screened it at the 05 fest as well.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 06:27:45 AM »
I have no objection to it though a rehash of the same plot would be dull.  I watched the earlier part of the revival but thought the casting and direction was bad so I didn't keep watching it.  I saw the WB pilot and it was fine.  As long as viewers understand there wasn't editing permitted at the time of the original series' airing, I would like to see the original back on the air in several markets.

Nancy

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 06:31:36 AM »
Thanks for answering my question, B. I saw it in '04. I was wondering if they had changed it because it was a pretty rough draft we saw in Tarrytown. I'll check out the link Midnite provided to read if it was the same in '06 as it was in '04.

PS - I like your optimism re: an '07 fest.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »
Was Vicki's parentage even an issue in the 91 series?

I saw the 91 series and I don't remember Vicki's parentage ever coming up or being an issue.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/