Author Topic: The Revival Series DVD release sucks, and this guy is pissed!  (Read 2975 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The Revival Series DVD release sucks, and this guy is pissed!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:16:05 AM »
Whoa, that's some rant. But I feel his pain. And I especially feel bad for the fans of the series who don't read the various DS boards online and who were expecting the DVD set to be an excellent keepsake only to discover how butchered the release is. At least those of us who do read the boards knew what we were getting into before we bought our copies. Not that that excuses what Sony did - but at least we went in with our eyes completely open...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »
Wow, it lasts 20 minutes, and yet somehow, I watched till the bitter end.  I did get a cackle out of him holding up the DVD set and the big red scare letters DON'T BUY THIS appearing on the screen.

I wonder which classic series/movie MGM will mangle and desecrate, uh, I mean, release on one of their lovely DVDS next?

cheers, G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
Leave Barnabas alone!  He's a huma.....no, wait, he's not.  Well, anyway, don't buy this X%$*# DVD - I mean it, or else you'll have to deal with me!

Gerard

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
BRAVO!!! Man, that was great. I've been saying the same things to anyone who cared to listen for years, but this guy probably articulated it better than I ever have. He even brought up the same problems with KUNG FU and V that also pisses me off.  I feel exactly the same way as he does. Give us the show in the aspect ratio it was filmed/framed and intended to be viewed. How difficult is that?

Long before MGM/SONY released this butchered DVD set I emailed MPI to find out when they'd be releasing the 1991 series on DVD and they said "after they finished releasing the original series". I wondered why that was then, since it's not a sequel, but now it pisses me off because they missed their chance to do it. and they definitely would've done it right like they did with their VHS releases.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Love this video. It definitely is some rant. And, of course, I'd expect most DSR fans to agree.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
I watched part of the rant and I agree that it shouldn't have been put out in this manner. Now I know not to buy it. I've always been amazed at the thought processes of those who put together these DVD releases. Seems to be no sense or consideration. Why bother?
Sally Collins

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
Apparently Sony's mission statement as far as releasing shows on DVD goes is to do everything possible to ruin everything and anything possible about collecting DVDs. Check out their latest disaster: The Worst DVD Packaging Ever?

Obviously we could have warned them that Sony quite obviously doesn't put the consumer first.  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the link, MB.  Ugh, what an abomination.  I really feel for the fans of those shows.  Soap played an important role in the history of gay men's representation in the media, too, from what I can recall--I was never able to watch the series.  It was what launched Billy Crystal's career, wasn't it?

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »
It was, and from what I recall, it was the first TV show to have a major character being openly gay, causing quite a stir.  We're talking about the seventies here, so that was something really big.  And Soap also had a DS connection - it had an entire storyline wherein Billy Chrystal's gay character manages to have a child with a female character, and the baby eventually ends up being possessed.  (Not because his father was gay, by the way.)  I remember the "cliff-hanger" conclusion to one episode, where the baby's parents bid the child goodnight and leave the nursery, and suddenly things start levitating, windows blow open, and an evil, gutteral laugh echoes.  It was really creepy and the audience reacted with a shriek of fear.

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:23 AM »
I take that partially back.  It wasn't Billy Crystal's son; it was another character's (who, I believe, was having an affair with a priest and fathered the child).  Show's how your mind can wander when you haven't seen something for a gazillion years.

Gerard

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 05:39:32 AM »
I'm glad I watched this on the YouTube. I have the complete VHS set of the 1991 series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 05:41:36 AM »
And the best thing about the MPI VHS set is that it includes extra footage that isn't included on the DVD set.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Yeah I don't know why MGM did'nt include the unseen footage. I guess it was a huge mistake for MGM to
release the 1991 series on dvd, instead of MPI.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:59 AM »
Wow that video was pretty hilarious!! There's something funny about someone emphatically analyzing why a DVD set sucks, LOL...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"