Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1217  (Read 827 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1217
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1217
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Waht room was that, that Gabriel set on fire?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
Magnus, I wondered that a little bit myself before moving on to wondering about the portrait of Brutus Collins, and not getting anywhere with that, either.  And then I thought about the corridor off which the room was located, and about how the brick walls of the secret passages are always different from the walls of the unsecret passages of Collinwood, and that's about as far as I got with that bit of wondering.  All very unproductive.

Anyway, now we've got two Collinwood residents with split personalities: Gabriel and Melanie.  If you stick them in a room together and wait long enough, would you get the answers to all the questions that Quentin has been asking?

Jonathan Frid is so interesting as Bramwell!  When Bramwell talks with Daphne, Frid makes me wonder about what's going on inside Bramwell.  Does Daphne wonder, too, or does she think she knows?  Poor Daphne.  There she is, talking about how she's all grown up, while she walks right into marriage with a man who, as she knows full well, cannot have gotten over her sister yet.

And then there's Catherine.  No lines at the end, just that look.  Beautiful.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
The portrait of Brutus looks remarkably like Raphael's portrait of the Renaissance writer Baldassare Castiglione. (Yes, I took the art history survey course!) I know Gabriel is completely insane and murderous (at least some of the time), but thanks to Pennock's loopy portrayal I had to laugh at Gabriel's ranting as he slashes the portrait and sets it on fire. Poor Morgan--not only does he know where all the bodies are buried but now he also has to start a new sideline as a fireman!

JF is wonderful as Bramwell, although I thought it was rather ungallant of him to make Daphne run to him instead of pulling her away from the knife-wielding Gabriel. And poor Daphne, no doubt feeling even more vulnerable after Catherine's tongue-lashing. Really, she has nowhere else to turn but to Bramwell. I agree with you, Lydia, that really she hardly knows anything about him. Maybe she's attracted to the enigma rather than the man--she's so very young.

And yes, Catherine's look at the end says everything. No dialogue needed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
When this ep ran on Sci-Fi in '97, they also ran a commercial featuring Lara Parker hawking ShadowGram:

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
I did a bit of research and the script for this ep describes the room Gabriel finds as Brutus' Secret Room. Apparently it's but one of the many secret rooms located in that secret passageway off of the drawing room.  [ghost_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Thanks, MB! If it's Brutus's Secret Room, that would certainly explain his portrait being there. The architectural plans for the Great House must be very interesting indeed.