Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0460  (Read 1086 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0460
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
Robservations #460

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0460

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Unfortunate edit about Forbes not having hit Barnabas's heart, since Mr. Frid left that out in the videotaping.   Nathan was buried during the commercial break!   Such a strange moment, Joshua and Barnabas looking at each other for the last time.   Peter and Vicki actually have a good final scene, writing, acting.   Didn't I hear that A Moltke was giggling uncontrollably, during multiple blown takes of her hanging scene?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
Joshua and Barnabas say farewell--very sad. And very telling that Barnabas's two last requests to his father--to free Ben and to try to save Vicki--are entirely unselfish.

More great scenes with Ben and Joshua. Ben enters the secret room on NOT hearing Joshua shoot the sleeping Barnabas. Now he feels only compassion for the man he once hated.

Joshua has Ben brought to the study. Fun to see how completely flummoxed Ben is when Joshua actually invites him to sit down. Mindful of the dirt on his clothes (he's just buried Nathan's body in the woods and chained Barnabas in his coffin), Ben carefully perches on the very edge of the only wooden chair. Besides freeing Ben, Joshua gives him a hundred dollars, probably the equivalent of a year's salary for a working man.

And a very touching final scene with Vicki and Peter. It would be funny if AM really did keep cracking up when they were filming it.

Meanwhile, in darkness and silence, the coffin waits….

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »
Barnabas pulls out the arrow and goes towards Nathan. I would have preferred they show him bite Nathan and drain his blood leaving him lifeless on the floor.  Joshua declares he will rewrite history leaving the way for future sloppy writing to be expalined away.
Suddenly Vickie is told she has not been granted a stay of execution from the Governor. She has five minutes to live.  Peter says, "I'll find you."  Their best scene so far. Vickie goes to gallows and is hanged until dead. Too bad the entier 1795 storyline hadn't been as fastpaced as the last few episodes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
I would have preferred they show him bite Nathan and drain his blood leaving him lifeless on the floor.

Well, in DC's mind it was still far too provocative to actually show a male vampire attack a male victim. Ridiculous by today's thinking (and even the thinking later in the show), but what can we say - the mid-'60s were a different time.  [easter_undecided]

Didn't I hear that A Moltke was giggling uncontrollably, during multiple blown takes of her hanging scene?

Possible. Though I don't honestly remember hearing that story. But maybe I've just forgotten it. We hear so many stories that one can only remember so many of them - usually only the ones that make an impression for one reason or another.

One thing we can be on the lookout for is AM doing her damnedest not to crack on camera during her 1968 scenes with RD because apparently he was terrible about trying to make her do so - and a few times he came close to succeeding.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »
Barnabas does eventually get to [spoiler]chomp on Nathan's delightful neck in #663 (I think), the weird timeslip back to 1796 which is riddled with continuity errors ... however, it does contain Angelique's best "return from the dead," so I always enjoy it.   [easter_grin][/spoiler]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
You missed! You die! As Magnus notes, terrible editing/voice add (don’t know what to call it). The Collinsport Strangler strikes again! I wonder if any purposeful thought went into having Barn strangle so as to not create more vampires? Nathan gets his (finally!) and is buried in the woods (is there a body count for woods burials?). Joshua tells Barn he will end his curse with silver bullets but in the end settles for a silver cross and chains – handled by Ben. I can barely wrap my head around Joshua’s final decision but I guess you have to walk a mile in someone’s shoes….

I was surprised that Joshua didn’t ask Ben to do it. Ben gets his freedom and deserves it. At least there was one happy ending in this storyline. Vicki hangs – another great Friday style cliffhanger. This must have been gut wrenching for fans in ’68.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Glad you're back and catching up, dom.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
Thanx, Magnus. I felt a little weird posting old reviews/opinions but I don't want to stop watching and I don't want to have wasted my time, either. This is going to be my style for some time, playing catch up. But I'd rather catch up than give up.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
I'm reading/appreciating every ep. commentary of yours today.   Today just happens to be a day when I don't have a lot of replies in me, for anything.   I hope you don't feel absolutely obligated to catch up with the last week or two, but I'm glad you did.   These are still very recent episodes, hardly really old.