Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 354724 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #750 on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
It would seem like DS is still holding at 22nd - though there is a small possibility that it could be either 21st or even 20th because, like last week, For Greater Glory isn't being reported during the week and apparently Think Like A Man has also joined that club. Both of those films came in ahead of DS on Sunday (with Think Like A Man only slightly ahead), but we probably won't know what they make each weekday this week until Box Office Mojo posts its Weekly Chart on Friday.

Monday Box Office

(And again, if you haven't checked out one of the lists already, refer to the explanation in reply #537 on page 36 of this topic because the premise is basically the same with the 46th day's list attached here.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »
One thing that continues to be quite interesting is that, as KMR alluded to last Monday (or Sunday if you're not on the East Coast ;)), even though the number of theaters showing DS has been decreasing, its average per screen has been staying fairly much the same:

Fri
Sat
Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
1,550$279$377$253$117$133$117 $115
$278$374$264$117$134$120$124
$272$360$231$114

Basically a pretty similar amount of people are going to see DS in each theater that's showing it - they're simply doing it in fewer theaters.

46 days 16 hours 59 minutes 32 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:40 AM »
Another $9 million added to the overseas gross according to Box Office Mojo.
Worldwide gross now $219 million.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:47 AM »
For a film that supposedly is a bomb, 217 million worldwide is excellent. But may I ask a simple question? Is worldwide grosses  only supposed to be talked about in a positive note when it the Avengers? Which, by the way I liked. I guess because 217 million for DS  doesn't rate because  its Darkshadows. What hypocrites t mass media is.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
Well it has happened.  Now the only place showing Dark Shadows is the cheapy theater - $3.00 per show.  I'd go see it, but it's showing so late!   [ghost_embarrassed]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »
As per usual, DS went up on Tuesday to bring in $37,461, which brings its current domestic gross to $75,825,106.

And as far as its rank goes, it may be 23rd because a film that was lower than it on Monday brought in a more than it did on Tuesday - but it may also be 22nd or even 21st depending on how the two missing films did.

Tuesday's Box Office

47 days 19 hours 4 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
Well it has happened.  Now the only place showing Dark Shadows is the cheapy theater - $3.00 per show.  I'd go see it, but it's showing so late!   [ghost_embarrassed]

Three dollars?  Like I said before, I saw it for the third time at our cheapy theater for 99 cents - and it was a double-feature with The Hunger Games!  You fancy people need to get out of Silver Dollar City and come to the nickelodeon here in Bugtussle!  You can even enjoy Jethrine May entertaining you on the pie-annie before the show begins!

Gerard

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 28, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »
Haha, Gerard.  Yeah, it is mildly disappointing, but that is the cheapest it gets... until the free showing at the local university.  So, if I wanted to see Hunger Games and Shadows, I'd have to pay 6 dollars, since both are currently showing - Hunger Games at the decent hour, and Shadows at the not-so-decent hour.   [ghost_tongue]  Consider yourself fortunate.  I don't even know if the cheap theater here has food...   [ghost_sad]

David

« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2012, 04:36:09 AM »
Depp Shadows plays at the Castro Theater on Wednesday July 18. Four shows I'll finally see it in an old fashioned movie palace!?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »
DS hasn't opened in any discount theaters around here yet, it's still playing in first-runs. But the discounts all charge $1.99 - no 99 cents theaters for us (or double features).  [ghost_nowink]  But that's still cheaper than $3 - and they all offer popcorn, candy, and drinks.

48 days 10 hours 45 minutes 42 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #760 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »
In two first run Bay Area theaters next week, both in outer suburbs. Twice a day in one, five shows a day in the other.
I'm really looking forward to that Castro screening!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #761 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
I don't think we have any $1 theaters in the DC area, either.  The one cheapy theater that is playing DS this week (and I'm relieved to see that it will also show there next week), I think I recall costing $2.50 or $3 the last time I was there.  So "cheap" is relative, I guess  [ghost_grin]  Now that I know it's been extended there one more week, I may try to get there this weekend for what would be my 4th time.  Not certain that I'll make it, though. 

Enjoy the Castro, David-Elijah!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
For what it's worth, DS is actually *gaining* some theaters this coming week.  It'll go up to 365 theaters, which is 63 more than this week, according to Box Office Mojo:

http://boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2012&wk=26&p=.htm

(So I guess it had 302 this week).  I imagine that most or all of these additions are discount theaters, which won't bring in as much $, but at least will keep the film out there for those who still wish to see it  [ghost_smiley]

Also, DS made less Wed. than the other weekdays this week, at only $29,644, which brings the domestic total to $75,854,750.  (Come on, $76 million! We can do it!  [ghost_wink] )

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
Again we were posting at the same time, madscntst.  [ghost_grin]  So, I've removed all the redundant info from my post and the only things I'll still say are these:

It's really getting to be quite fascinating how DS is so closely following Wrath of the Titans' release pattern because Wrath of the Titans also added theaters in its 8th week in release to play in 360 theaters.

And about the only thing DS hasn't been following suit with recently when it comes to Wrath of the Titans is how much money it's been bringing in because its box office has continued to surpass what Wrath of the Titans was doing at the same period in its release - but more on that tomorrow when the full week's numbers are in.  [ghost_smiley]

48 days 19 hours 4 minutes 12 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »
I imagine that most or all of these additions are discount theaters, which won't bring in as much $, but at least will keep the film out there for those who still wish to see it  [ghost_smiley]

We might be surprised because in its 8th week with the additional theaters, Wrath of the Titans brought in $651,413 - which was more than it had made in its 6th week when it was playing in 715 theaters - so I'm guessing all 360 of the theaters weren't discount theaters.  [ghost_wink]

48 days 19 hours 16 minutes 14 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!