Author Topic: All-Purpose Pentagram?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
All-Purpose Pentagram?
« on: April 19, 2003, 06:13:57 AM »
So now the five-pointed star repels werewolves and Leviathans? [hdscrt] This is odd, considering the relations between the two creatures, about which we will soon hear more.

BTW, has the pentagram ever been used as protection from shapeshifters in folklore or other media?  DS seems to believe that the pentagram is to the werewolf what the cross is to the vampire.  However, in The Wolfman, the sign of the pentagram primarily marks the werewolf's next victim (a tactic that was also used on DS.)  Maria Ouspenskaya's gypsy character does give Larry Talbot a pentagram pendant, which he then passes on to his sweetie Gwen Conliffe for her protection.  But later he attacks her anyway, so clearly the pentagram isn't much help.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:All-Purpose Pentagram?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:44:53 PM »
Hi Prof. Stokes,

Generally, the Pentagram represents the forces of Protection.  It has a lot of other, esoteric uses as well, but that is its most "generic" use.

The kind of thing Paul tried to set up in his room does require some work beyond just lighting the candles to activate.  The fact that he neglected to mark off the borders between the points with a circle was a sign that he really had not a clue what he was doing.

At least, though, it did shut up that annoying voice-over.  The whole thing seemed like Sat. Night Live does Dark Shadows.

Goithick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 10:51:24 PM »
Oh my, Steve....can't we just see them taking the time to let Paul Stoddard create a sacred circle, raise a cone of power and protection, and finally, draw down the moon?

OY!!  [6184]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 11:33:19 PM »
When you said, "Shapeshifters", I actually thought of vampires (dogs, bats, invisible, smoke).

I vaguelly remember some movie with Sandy Dennis circa 1970....witches?? and she's in a pentagram (if my memory serves me right).

Yes, I believe pentagrams are used to 'repel' witches
(that's with a W, not a B) ;D

Patti...calling the kettle black ;D
(and wearing her pentagram!!)
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 12:24:30 AM »
Oh my, Steve....can't we just see them taking the time to let Paul Stoddard create a sacred circle, raise a cone of power and protection, and finally, draw down the moon?

I think we see something like this in the 1840 storyline.  I know some type of circle or pentagram is marked on the floor, and there is chanting about "astral twins." The Kate Jackson character and "the children" must draw the evil character from another realm into the present dimension.  (Sorry I'm blanking out on all of the characters names!)  If you haven't seen it, you may have something to look forward to!

I vaguelly remember some movie with Sandy Dennis circa 1970....witches?? and she's in a pentagram (if my memory serves me right).

Ohmigosh, Patti!  I remember that movie too!  I think it may have been a made-for-TV movie, though I'm not sure.  I remember Sandy Dennis pulled her children into the sign of protection, whatever it was, and began reciting the Lord's Prayer!  I think I saw that movie again when I was a few years older (rather than 8 or 9 or whatever!) and was less impressed the second time ...

Could anyone recap what the difference is between a pentagram and a pentacle?

Thanks in advance.   :)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 02:21:55 AM »
A Pentagram is a five pointed star.

A Pentacle is a five pointed star inside a circle.  It's a representation of the sacred space that a witch creates around herself  before begining any ritual.

raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 05:57:35 PM »
That Sandy Dennis movie was called Something Evil and directed by Steven Spielberg.  He did it shortly after the much-ballyhooed Duel (which I never saw, the subject matter sounded intensely boring to me).  Darren McGavin was in it, and so was Johnnie Whitaker (who was on Family Affair, the Sebastian Cabot/Brian Keith vehicle).

I remember it vividly too, but haven't seen it since the early 70s.

I'm afraid the use of the pentagram-on-the-floor in the Summer of 1970 sequence wasn't any more accurate than the use of it we just saw, but the incantation was fun.

It was wild that they were doing all this stuff in 1969/1970.  In Maryland, at least, this stuff was very exotic.  Every week I would go to the library for more books to tell me about what I was seeing on Dark Shadows.  It had such an impact upon my imagination.

Gothick