Author Topic: MPI DS DVD problems  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
MPI DS DVD problems
« on: June 06, 2002, 06:25:33 AM »
Even though I had decided to wait awhile, I bought the new MPI DS DVDs today at the local Borders.  Disc 1 started up fine and has superior picture quality, especially when compared to the very first MPI DS VHS video (The Resurrection of BC and the The Introduction to DS).  I fast-forwarded to the second and third episodes--just fine.  But--Discs 3 and 4 had many problems:  both gave me the dreaded notice "This Disc Cannot Be Played."   FYI, I have a Samsung M301 player, which plays 99% of my DVDs flawlessly (I even watched the new release of Blake Edwards' S.O.B. right after trying the DS DVDs--NO GLITCHES OR FLAWS.)

Anybody else experience problems with the DS DVDs?

Thanks.

Brian

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
Re: MPI DS DVD problems
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 12:06:59 PM »
i was reluctant to purchase the dvd due to problems i had with the previous dvd released by mpi. it wont play the nancy barrett tour segment.but i purchased the episode dvd anyway. i have not watched everything in its entirety but i did put each disc in and tested each episode by playing just the 1st few seconds. i did not experience any problems so far. u may want to complain to samsung. my dvd is zenith and i complained and they gave me a newer model dvd player for free! unfortunately even with the new player, it still wont play that segment but maybe u will have better luck.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2002, 03:45:53 AM »
Hi, Joe.

My first player was a Samsung, too, and it didn't play the Nancy Barrett segment either--but it also didn't play a whole lot of DVDs, so I took it in for service, which took about a month.  During that time, I bought a new player, also a Samsung, which DOES play the Nancy Barrett segment--flawlessly--as well as every other DVD I own except the following: RUBY (VCI),  GYPSY (Pioneer), and  MUNSTER, GO HOME (Goodtimes), all of which have some glitches.  Also, I went through 2 copies of PUTTING IT TOGETHER (Goodtimes) before getting one that plays without glitches.  (I have other discs from each of these companies, all of which play just fine.)  Anyway, I returned the DS set today--I'll wait until the second set is released and maybe order them directly from MPI, and try again.

Brian

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 09:57:42 PM »
Sounds like player compatability, Brian.

During QC, most disc companies check the disc against a dozen or more platforms and problematic players to assure compatability. I'm assuming that MPIs QC either isn't as in-depth or the few players it is not compatible with aren't considered doing a re-press (ie tens of thousands of $).

Sounds like you've gotten some real lemons with these Samsungs. Best to get a higher-end player like a Panasonic, and a newer model, so you can play VCDs and DVD-Rs.  I've got a 4+ year old Toshiba and the only thing it couldn't play are VCDs and DVD-Rs, but that's in the specifications for the player.

I do think that the DVDs look and sound terrific- better than both the previous tapes and broadcasts.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2002, 04:19:26 AM »
Thanks, Darren.  I probably will get another brand in the near future, but my current player has had very few problems.  It does play audio CD-Rs and CD=RWs, and MP3s, in addition to all but 3 of my DVDs.  What I've heard is that Samsung's quality is "hit-or-miss," but I've had good luck with other Samsung products.

Now that you mention Panasonic, though, I might look at that brand for my next player:  I recently retired my 1989 Panasonic 20" TV because I bought at 27" TV (Philips, this time--I hope it lasts 12 years like my Panasonic did!) ;)

Brian

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2002, 04:41:29 AM »
I can beat that....the 9" GE TV in our bedroom is 21 years old and the picture is still fine (which is why Hubby won't replace the gawd dang thing!!).

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2002, 07:21:36 AM »
I have a 19" RCA that I bought in 1983.... still works BUT will not get any of the higher channels.

Further more... I have a 19" B/W Montgomery Ward TV given to me... that was bought in 1974 or '75. ANd it works GREAT! However it is rarely used these days... believe it or not.  :D

But I have an early 1990s model 27" JVC that has been in the shop once ($75 to fix) and I had to replace the Remote once too.

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2002, 07:23:55 AM »
BTW.,.... what are the "stars" that are just below each of our names? What do they represent or how do you get them?

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2002, 07:34:43 AM »
I can beat that....the 9" GE TV in our bedroom is 21 years old and the picture is still fine (which is why Hubby won't replace the gawd dang thing!!).

Raineypark

Gee, Rainey, I'm close but no cigar.
I just checked and we've got this tiny portable Panasonic TV with a tiny 3x5 screen that uses nine million "D" batteries but sure as hell comes in handy when the power goes out. I think we bought it the year our daughter was born(1982)so I could watch TV while I fed her in the middle of the night.
Came in handy when we had our freak October snowstorm one year and we were without power for 4 days.  I remember heating up Spaghettio's in an aluminum pan in our fireplace!  Just like 1795. Those were the good old days!

Carol

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2002, 07:40:52 AM »
:I remember heating up Spaghettio's in an aluminum pan in our fireplace!  Just like 1795. Those were the good old days!

Are you sure they had spaghettios in 1795?  :D  Just kidding of course....

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Stars and member status
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2002, 08:55:05 AM »
BTW.,.... what are the "stars" that are just below each of our names? What do they represent or how do you get them?

The number of stars coincides with the member's status:

1 star - Forum Newbie
2 stars - Junior Member
3 stars - Full Member
4 stars - Senior Member
5 stars - Forum God

All new members start with one star, and there's a preset number of posts that are needed to reach the next level.

I learned just recently that some forums include a rule in their guidelines regarding posts made solely for the purpose of making the next level, which is called "fluffing".  I guess there's an internet term for everything, huh?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2002, 02:36:51 PM »
Okay, Midnite - your post is set now at 399; just one away from 400.  But ya make it legit - no fluffing!  And then we'll pop the champagne corks!

Gerard

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2002, 06:59:55 PM »
Thank you Midnite... but of course I have another question or observation for you, ;)

Brian.... has only a few posts.... but he has many many stars!
I want some more of them thar stars...!!! :o  then I will be cool... too  8)  Or is member status not related to the number of posts made?

And BTW Midnite you can can fluff your next post here if you want to make your 400th post!!!! :lol

Brian, I hope you do not mind that I used you as an example.
Gerard, Just kidding around about your post...

I like to kid around some .... let me know if I step over too far. I certainly would NOT want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Have GREAT WEEKEND everyone... I am off this weekend... (off as not having to work not as in off of my rocker)!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2002, 07:17:02 PM »
Brian.... has only a few posts.... but he has many many stars!. . . I hope you do not mind that I used you as an example.

I have those stars because I recently joined the board's team as archivist for Robservations.  MB is getting some details worked out, and I'll be starting soon.  Since there's no pay involved, I guess stars are the next best thing in terms of compensation.  (Works for me!)  :D

No problem using me as an example. . .I don't take it personally (yet!)   ;)

Brian

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2002, 07:28:20 PM »
Brian! That is so cool! Thanks for devoting your time to this board!

I was starting to think that maybe you had reached the top of the counter for posts and that the counter had started over.

Thanks again for what ever it is that you are doing with the board here!!  ;)