Author Topic: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!  (Read 8497 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

Re: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
 [ghost_wink]
[ghost_cool]
 [ghost_grin]
[ghost_smiley]

YES!
YOWSA!
I can walk to this theatre from home!
Oh, baby!

David

David

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

I've spoken to the manager of the Castro Theatre.
The HODS & NODS screenings will include a presentation by Darren Gross of the missing NODS footage.

Two cast members will also appear.
Not confirmed, but I'm guessing it'll be Kathryn & Lara.

David 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
The HODS & NODS screenings will include a presentation by Darren Gross of the missing NODS footage.

Excellent! The more people who hear about the recovered footage/restoration, the better.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
Great. It will be nice for fans to see Darren's hard work.

nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
More attention to the NODS restoration?  I am all for it and cannot wait for this project to finally come to fruition!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »
The name "Darren Gross" has been washing over me without my noticing (I'm that way with most information), but I'll have to take more notice.  I didn't know this was a personal project for someone who's financing it out of his own pocket.   I've never seen NODS, and now, somehow, eventually I'll get to the real version only, without ever having to see the cut-up version.  It's like fixing my DS past.   

I walked around that neighborhood once on a parade day, 25 years ago or so.  I know of the theater but never saw anything there.   Not interesting to anyone I know, I'm just getting achy and nostalgic for when I was actually getting out and doing things.

We also have no cool theater here so I'm moaning about that too.   The UC Theater in Berkeley, that was especially great....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
Magnus, just to clarify, Darren Gross helms the restoration project, but he is not financing it.  It's hoped that the anticipation of the Depp movie will spur Warner Bros to hold off on releasing NoDS [& HoDS] on DVD until restoration of all the footage is completed; otherwise, we may never see the release of a restored version.  :(  He said at this summer's Fest that the restoration will take at least a year to complete.  Did that help?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
Thanks Midnite.  Someone on the thread linked to thought he was paying for it all personally.  I misunderstood the rest.   I guess I wouldn't see it in the theater now if I had a chance, I'd wait for the reconstruction.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »
My old SF apartment used to sit above the neighborhood and you could see the Castro Theatre signing shining brightly from my living and dining room.  It recently had a renovation I understand.

http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/index.html
Julia99

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »
Hopefully something else that's mentioned in the thread - that the idea of releasing both DS movies on the same disk has been abandoned in favor of them being stand-alones - is actually true.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »
You're welcome, Magnus.

Someone on the thread linked to thought he was paying for it all personally.

Ah, I see what you mean.  (The mods here aren't required to read linked material, thank goodness, or we'd have no lives. ;))  I feel the promoter of Shock It To Me! who started the thread should have corrected that statement about Darren, but that's me.

Also just saw that comment in the AVManiacs thread about the movies supposedly being released as stand-alones, and I was going to mention it, MB.  Gee, that's never happened before. [ghost_cheesy]

Anyway, I adore NoDS, so if I may add my 2 cents, I think you should see both versions of it if you have the chance.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »
Also just saw that comment in the AVManiacs thread about the movies supposedly being released as stand-alones, and I was going to mention it, MB.  Gee, that's never happened before. [ghost_cheesy]

No, never. Right! Just the second time today we've been on the exact same wavelength at the same time.  [b003]  Though evidence of the first time is no longer on the forum...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 02:08:51 AM »
Anyway, I adore NoDS, so if I may add my 2 cents, I think you should see both versions of it if you have the chance.

I agree Midnite and I would love to see both version as well. NODS is by far my favorite of the two.  I think Grayson truly stands out as Carlotta is NOTHING like any other character she played on the soap.  Darren Gross told me it was hard to find a Grayson dub because everyone sounds like Julia.  I think that in and of itself speaks volumes about what an amazing actress GH.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
Although NODS hasn't been properly restored yet, a lot of work has gone into preparing for it's restoration. Tracking down lost footage, ADR work, etc. I'm pretty sure Mr. Gross has done all of this on his own dime. I don't believe the poster in the linked thread meant that Darren would be personally funding the full restoration.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey