Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0650  (Read 3140 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0650
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 04:09:22 AM »
It was lame and dumb of Barnabas to ask her to marry him.  Dose he think that Vickie can't support or take care of herself?  Better yet, how is Barnabas going to support them?

Barnabas just wants what he wants.   He still hasn't regained his 1795 pre-biting adult, sympathetic frame of mind.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
It was lame and dumb of Barnabas to ask her to marry him.  Dose he think that Vickie can't support or take care of herself?  Better yet, how is Barnabas going to support them?

Barnabas just wants what he wants.   He still hasn't regained his 1795 pre-biting adult, sympathetic frame of mind.

I don't entirely agree with that. Asking Vicki to marry him was rather insensitive under the circumstances but it doesn't make him unsympathetic, at least to me. I do like how he agreed to help out at Collinwood. I mean, Barnabas is trying anyway, to become a better man.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
Yes, trying and failing somewhat.   It's not that he's being consciously selfish, but that the selfishness is coming out involuntarily, without his knowing it.   I'm sure an immediate rebound into his arms would be good medicine for Victoria right now, as far as Barnabas is concerned.   That's just convenient thinking though, obviously.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »
As was mentioned before, this was the final episode for Betsy Durkin. [milestone] I agree that it would have been much more effective if Alexandra Moltke was still playing Vicki.  [hall_cry] I was upset when Vicki and Peter disappeared, but I would have been more upset if AM had still been there. It sure was a shame that she wasn't able to stay just a little bit longer.  [hall_rolleyes] That was quite a  Friday cliffhanger, though.  [hall2_shocked]

I think Barnabas was trying to be kind and helpful, even though he was acting rather self-centered. But it also was totally inappropriate. Yes, indeed, it would have been nice if he had told her, "I understand." But that wasn't in Barnabas' character.  [hall2_rolleyes]

I thought it was neat when the watch started again and the blue spectre appeared. I found it to be pleasantly exciting when Peter was able to appear again to Vicki, from the power of her love. She held onto him and was able to go with him! How romantic! [love3]

I agree that it was too bad they didn't resolve the issue of Vicki's parentage.  [devil2]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »
question.

how was it determined that the besty durkin recast had proven to be unsuccessful after just ten episodes?

were the ratings affected?was there a fan outcry or an outpouring of negative viewer mail?

or was it more something that curtis and his team simply had an instinct for?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
It was probably hate mail from the fans.  Back then, they took the fan mail VERY seriously.  They re-tooled Leviathan halfway through based on the mail.

G.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »
They used to talk about how the switchboard would be flooded with calls at ABC when the fans reacted to the show.  The show was about a week ahead of taping at the time so that you can see that after the first airing of  the Betsy episodes  11/22/68  Vickie only appears in five shows  that were taped after fans got to see her in action.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 03:35:37 AM »
Either way I am glad that New Vickie is gone. Her reactions towards Jeff seem completely out of character, like Vicki was going insane. I didn't care for that at all. I think AM would have tone down the reaction.

I did a double take when Barnabas asked Vicki to marry him. Seriously, if I was Vicki I would have discontinued that conversation and asked him to leave. 
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
As for Vicki # 2 out of 3, I like the idea that one can be so much in love that loss of it could rip you apart like that.  I think the whole supernatural element threw her too.   How do you process your new husband disappearing supernaturally before your eyes, when for your whole life "magic" wasn't real, supposedly?   If a book or a vase or something disappeared, that's not the same thing.   I can't really put into words why not.   Added together it's overwhelming, though.    Losing a husband like that must be heart-wrenching yet at the same time, the biggest anticlimax of all time, one moment they're newlyweds, the next moment you're alone in the hotel room.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 03:55:44 AM »
I think the story itself was good on paper, but it just didn't do it for me. Most likely because of Roger Davis and Besty Durkin.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:00 AM »
Besides being selfish, maybe he was trying to be protective.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate