Author Topic: The BEST of Jonathan Frid  (Read 2339 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
The BEST of Jonathan Frid
« on: June 07, 2004, 04:46:36 AM »
In all fairness to Mr. Frid I felt compelled to create a discussion in balance to the "JF bloopers" post. Yep, his dialogue flubs were doozies but I'd like to point out some JF highs, if I can.

i can think of lots but there is one scene that comes to mind:

1) 1795, Barnabas becomes a vampire and starts a killing spree on the town prostitues. Classic JF...early victim waterfront scene with high-spirited, mischievous but good-hearted Ruby Tate (who was that actress?). Barnabas approaches quietly in the fog as Ruby is expecting her married lover (or someone). In direct response to her cheerful nature Barnabas goes through all sorts of emotional turmoil. First he's quietly sadly menacing in his approach and like a smart vicitim (unknowingly) Ruby humanizes herself by recognizing him and stating his name. The dynamics change. After some dialogue they connect and laugh about Reverand Bland writng a sermon over her and looking like a duck. After a pause he is menacing again and asks if she's expecting someone. I especially enjoyed Barnabas'/JF's dry laugh when Ruby slyly tells him her lover isn't important, as anyway, he probably couldn't get away from his wife. Then, when Ruby giggles that she can't wait to tell the "girls" she's been out with Barnabas Collins he suddenly raises his voice in fear and, moving in closer, tells her she musn't tell anyone she's seen him. Dangerous and unpredictable... yet just as abruptly, haltingly, with those sad eyes, sais he has to leave. She flirtratiously coaxes "you don't REALLY want to leave, do you?" "no", he sais, his voice heavy and leering. Totally menacing now as the vampire he approaches her, she falls back in fear and into the water. He shouts in horror and sadness "Ruby!!".  Poor Barnabas, I'm thinking, and he was going to kill HER. What struck me so much about that scene was the amazing give-and-take chemistry between JF and the actress and JF's sensitivity that he was able to so cearly reveal Barnabas' traumatic internal struggles between the vampire and what was left over from his human self in the shadings of that performance. His human characteristics being a natural warmth and an obviously sympathy towards Ruby.

I did not sense any dialogue flubs, hesitations or wrong notes. It was simply perfect in every respect.

ClaudeNorth

Re: The BEST of Jonathan Frid
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 07:38:04 AM »
A few for the list...

2.  The scene in which Barnabas first returns to the Old House and addresses the portrait of Josette.  Frid's delivery of that monologue ("I was a Collins.  Why didn't you protect me?") is superb.

3.  The scene between Barnabas and Burke in which they compare their relationship to a duel and to a game of cards.  This is probably one of my all-time favorite scenes from the entire five years.  (This would make an interesting scene for an acting class!)

4.  His portrayal of Bramwell.  Frid showed great confidence and a surprising amount of sexual charisma in this role, leaving behind all traces of Barnabas' self-loathing and wounded romanticism.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 07:56:52 AM »
I'm sure there are lots of scenes that I can't begin to remember, but one that particularly stands out is when he's first telling the story of Josette to Vicki and Carolyn.  I think there was a storm and everyone was uneasy and he starts this long narrative and explains how she was running from her lover, obviously without identifying the lover, all "as though he had been there" (as they obviously don't know he was).  He creates quite a spell and has them completely under it.
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 12:20:29 PM »
Perhaps not his best scene, (I don't remember if it was letter perfect or not), but the one I count as a personal favorite is his scene with Lara Parker in the tower room in (I believe) 1897. I only remember for sure that I thought it was one of the best exchanges between Barn & Ange in the series. It made sense, was intellectual, tender, and superbly written. I think Barn needed her help and summoned her, or agreed to meet her there. They spoke of their past, present, and future. It was amazing and perfectly acted - as in, not over the top. I think had he not pulled it off, I wouldn't have thought so highly of it. Wish I could recall it better so that I could praise him more precisely as opposed to generally.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:45:11 PM »
my favorite too Josette. i didnt see it in the original run, but after it came out on tape, i thought "this guy can actually be pretty darn good" After watching his "i will be, not sitting here accepting this" and "that night must go nothing wrong" was pleasantly surprised to see him able to spellbound an audience.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 12:39:11 AM »
Perhaps not his best scene, (I don't remember if it was letter perfect or not), but the one I count as a personal favorite is his scene with Lara Parker in the tower room in (I believe) 1897. I only remember for sure that I thought it was one of the best exchanges between Barn & Ange in the series. It made sense, was intellectual, tender, and superbly written. I think Barn needed her help and summoned her, or agreed to meet her there. They spoke of their past, present, and future. It was amazing and perfectly acted - as in, not over the top. I think had he not pulled it off, I wouldn't have thought so highly of it. Wish I could recall it better so that I could praise him more precisely as opposed to generally.

This is one of my favorites too. Angelique yearning to start over, Barnabas' stubborness and not willing to forget the past.  It didn't get much better than that. Excepting of course when he first discovers just what his curse is in the mauseleum with Angelique. His face, his eyes....the expressions. Oh my!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »
One of my all time favorites was when Barnabas finally comes face to face with the ghost of his little sister Sarah at the old house.  That had to have been one of the best emotional scenes that I've seen JF do on the show.  You could clearly see & feel his happiness when he sees his sister for the very first time in years, and then the pain & sadness upon knowing that she's never going to appear to him again.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 06:38:05 PM »
I can't remember the exact details of the scene, but it's in 1795 when Angelique has caused Josette and Jeremiah to fall in love and they run away.  Barnabas goes looking for Josette, but can't find her.  He goes back and enters the Old House where Angelique is waiting and tells her that he will always love Josette.   He's very powerful in that scene.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:05:12 AM »
i agree with josette,the scene where barnabas tells carolyn and vicki the story of josette collins is mesmerizing.i also love the scenes when vicki is trapped at b's house during a storm.he so wants to take her blood but cannot(these are some great vicki/willie scenes too).in 1795, the scene when ben tells him why angelique started the curse is great,as is his scene with a dying naomi.but my favorites are his scenes with grayson hall.thier chemistry is awsome.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 05:32:03 AM »
1795, the scene when ben tells him why angelique started the curse is great,as is his scene

That's one of my fav's too. The write "V" for Victoria or "A" for Angelique in the dust. I also think the first time Barnabas enters Collinwood with his elegant 50's hat and overcoat after escaping the coffin, when Ms. Johnson oggles him in shock at the door and exclaims "from ENGLAND?!" should be classic TV. I wsh TV Guide would include it as one of the 100 TV's best. Oh well, one of the reasons I wrote such a detailed scenario of my pick is that JF really does invite repeated viewing. I've watched my scene many times and have to admire how completely he IS Barnabas. How every word he utters has meaning, feeling and inflection. Never does this guy coast, he'll forget lines, but (for better or worse) gallantly stuggles on never loosing his Barnabas persona. I've never seen him zone out either.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »
I enjoyed the scene when Abigail goes down into the cellar just in time to see Barnabas open the casket and rise.  He glares at her and says with such coldness:  "Aunt Abigaaaaaail.  What are YOU doing here?"  It's just the way he delivered that line, with such deliberation.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 12:47:56 AM »
i just saw that scene recently,and thought it was great.frid and blackburn were the consumate proffesionals,and a scene that might have been corny with lesser actors really worked with these two.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 01:55:25 AM »
One scene I find most compelling is when Barnabas and Willie are in the secret room of the mauseleum.  Maggie was in the cemetary, Barnabas had planned on abducting her there but Willie had called Vickie and tipped her off where she could find Maggie.  Vickie, Burke and Sam then went to the cemetary and found her.  Barnabas was furious, he knew Willie had tipped them off and the anger and sheer evil on his face was both electrifying and horrorifying.  This scene is one reason that the evil Barnabas had more depth than the good one, IMO.

Murph

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »
To me Barnabas was always a very fascinating character to watch, he was always very complex (whether he was a vamp or human).

Poor JF always gets singled out for his bloopers that some people love to make fun and ridicule him for it (not talking about anyone on this forum, I know many of the members on here have great respect for his acting ability, I am talking about other DS fans I know personally on a day-to-day basis) but he was the reason I started watching DS in the first place.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »
His portrayal of Bramwell.  Frid showed great confidence and a surprising amount of sexual charisma in this role.

Yes indeed!  Bramwell was sexy as hell, and I don't consider JF sexy at all!  But his *portrayal* of a Heathcliff-esque character brought out some sex appeal in him.  [hall2_wink]  And yes, I think the new character gave him a fresh energy to his acting on the show.  Besides, he and LP had such great chemistry together!  Which is why 1841 PT is my favorite plotline, tied w/1795.

one that particularly stands out is when he's first telling the story of Josette to Vicki and Carolyn.  He creates quite a spell and has them completely under it.

Another one of *my* favorites, man does not make ONE mistake or look for the promptor once.  He must have been up ALL night memorizing that scene, and it showed!  [hall2_grin]

Perhaps not his best scene, (I don't remember if it was letter perfect or not), but the one I count as a personal favorite is his scene with Lara Parker in the tower room in (I believe) 1897.

ITA, another of my faves.  He and Lara were spot on and the writing was wonderful.  And again, no flubs or teleprompter searches.

One of my all time favorites was when Barnabas finally comes face to face with the ghost of his little sister Sarah at the old house.  That had to have been one of the best emotional scenes that I've seen JF do on the show.  You could clearly see & feel his happiness when he sees his sister for the very first time in years, and then the pain & sadness upon knowing that she's never going to appear to him again.

Yep, love this one too, and when she disappears and he's near tears?  Heartbreaking.  Right along this same line is the scene where Sarah dies in his arms in 1795.  Get a hanky!  [hall2_cry]

I've never seen him zone out either.

He kinda does once in 1841 PT as Bramwell, but not because HE goes up, it's Lara!  And he's looking at her w/this look on his face like he's thinking, ¢â‚¬ËœOkay Lara, I know *I* didn't blow a line, let's go!' and she's DESPERATELY looking at the prompter!  [hall2_cool]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"