Author Topic: Gerard/Judah's Surprising Lack of Powers  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Gerard/Judah's Surprising Lack of Powers
« on: December 07, 2003, 05:49:13 AM »
This has been puzzling me for the past few weeks of 1840.  There have been any number of instances where one would think Gerard would have the ability to discern the truth about situations beyond an ordinary mortal's capacity, yet he hasn't displayed many powers other than giving Daphne bad dreams with his Celtic cross ...  (e.g., he's unaware of Gabriel sneaking up behind him in an attempt on his life).

In one of Thursday's episodes, the Evan Handley character seemingly addressed this, finally, asking Gerard something like why he hasn't been using his powers, or suggesting that he use his powers (this may have been to uncover where Quentin and Desmond were hiding out).

If it's the case of choosing to exercise his powers or not, Judah has had a seemingly curious lack of interest in using them ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
Re:Gerard/Judah's Surprising Lack of Powers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 03:45:40 AM »
Gerard/Judah always came across like he didn't care.  He never really question things that were happening around him.  For example he never bothered to find out who killed Randall Drew.  As far as Gerard/Judah was concerned as long as things like that suit his purpose then he didn't care who did it.

Also, he never really bothered to do any real investigations into who tried to kill him.  He just assumed it was Samantha.  And he didn't really investigate Samantha's claims that Joanna was "dead."

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 11:28:55 AM »
This has been puzzling me for the past few weeks of 1840.  There have been any number of instances where one would think Gerard would have the ability to discern the truth about situations beyond an ordinary mortal's capacity, yet he hasn't displayed many powers other than giving Daphne bad dreams with his Celtic cross ...  (e.g., he's unaware of Gabriel sneaking up behind him in an attempt on his life).
If it's the case of choosing to exercise his powers or not, Judah has had a seemingly curious lack of interest in using them ...

You're right Vlad and it doesn't make much sense either.  For instance, in the times that he did use his powers, such as forcing Daphne to have those dreams to make her fall in love with him, his powers didn't seem appear to be all that strong or long lasting.  Take for example the last spell he cast on her right before they were married,  within a few minutes after the wedding, the spell wore off and she hated him!!!
IMO, he didn't seem to be all that powerful if he could only cast spells that lasted a mere few minutes. Why not cast a spell on her to make her love him for a lifetime?  It seemed like he spent most of his time being a "normal" troublemaker (like Trask) instead of a powerful warlock. 

I think the most powerful spells that he used was when he put Desmond under that choking spell & then again when he took Valerie/Angelique's powers away from her. That at least lasted for some time. But really, what else did he do?  Perhaps being in someone else's body hampered his powers somewhat and he wasn't able to do the same things he could have done if he had his own body intact.

I noticed this because he seemed to be more powerful before he possessed Gerard and was just the "head of Judah Zachary."  He was able to control others more this way, making Desmond sign his name on a document, reading his journal,  having Julia & Leticia try to re-attach his head to his body with that crazy experiment and so on.

Another factor that I thought of was love.  The mere fact that he fell in love with Daphne (or at least claims he was in love) could have put a damper on his powers in the same way that Nicholas Blair faltered when he fell for Maggie.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 04:58:59 PM »
Another factor that I thought of was love.  The mere fact that he fell in love with Daphne (or at least claims he was in love) could have put a damper on his powers in the same way that Nicholas Blair faltered when he fell for Maggie.

That's a very interesting and astute theory.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 05:17:52 PM »
Here is my measly 2 cents worth:

Spiritual possession can be a tricky thing.

Beyond the fact that there would not be much of a story if Judah's powers were all-powerful, there is the fact that Gerard is still there, too.  I keep thinking that there is a perpetual inner struggle going on between the evil Judah and Gerard.  Couldn't it be Gerard, and not Judah, who falls in love with Daphne?  Considering how evil he is, is Judah even capable of loving anyone?  Ultimately, it could be the power of Gerard's love and contrition that weaken Judah's powers and resolve.

Just an idea.   :)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 05:31:56 PM »
Beyond the fact that there would not be much of a story if Judah's powers were all-powerful

A very important and often overlooked point (in many instances on the show - not just in Judah/Gerard's case).

Couldn't it be Gerard, and not Judah, who falls in love with Daphne?  Considering how evil he is, is Judah even capable of loving anyone?  Ultimately, it could be the power of Gerard's love and contrition that weaken Judah's powers and resolve.

Another great theory - and one that balances nicely with Cassandra's.

IluvBarnabas

Re: Gerard/Judah's Surprising Lack of Powers
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:13:37 AM »
I also believe Gerard [spoiler]was attracted to Daphne from the first moment he met her, before Judah Zachery possessed him. Maybe he even did fall in love with her. I think Judah wanted Daphne in as much the same as he wanted Miranda (before she betrayed him that was).

But since Daphne's heart belonged to Quentin, Judah must have known she'd never come to him willingly so he had to bewitch her at certain times, but not all the time, at least not until Quentin's fate was sealed.

Now had the "real" Gerard never been possesssed by Judah, I can't help but think even as himself, he would have set out to steal Daphne from Quentin (though he would have to do it through normal, non-supernatural means.[/spoiler]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »
having just rewatched the end of 1840 , it was Spoiler:
very anti-clamatic with Gerard shot and the head turns to skull.  One would think that Judah would go back into the head or possess someone else.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
When a person is conflicted or consumed by another issue, the brain doesn't do good work on the primary issue because it's being asked to take on multiple jobs.    All the things mentioned are all true or could be... Gerard fighting back inside Judah, trying to control someone else's body.... the Daphne fixation being Gerard not Judah is especially interesting.   Remember that Dawson specifically said Judah has to watch out because as Gerard he can now be killed.   So, his powers are definitely diminished.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
I always thought the same thing too.  However, I kind akin it to Glory on Buffy.  [spoiler]She was a God who ruled over a Hell Dimension and she was kicked out from said Hell Dimension Ala Satan in the Bible! [BOO]  Because she was in a human body her powres were diminished!  There were also a couple of items that could fend her off, one being a very powerful witch and a daphonsphere, which was like a mystical orb, that repelled her.  Also Buffy beat her do death with a Troll God's hammer. [/spoiler]
Obviously Judah didn't get a Troll God Hammer!  [female_skull]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/