Author Topic: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 05:00:07 AM »
Well for my part, I rather liked the Peter Bradford character and Charles Delaware Tate-old and young but couldn't stand Ned Stuart Ugh! I don't know how Lisa Richard got through it with him.  By the way, I really liked the Charles Delaware Tate storyline.  I liked him as Jeff Clark for the most part.  He showed a lot of passion for Vicki but I think she was kind of passionless. They were totally miscast as soul-mates for each other.   But as far as Roger Davis goes, I always thought he was one of the nicest looking men on DS.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
I actually LIKE Ned Stuart, because he had a reason to be so abrasive and irritating.  Jeff Clark, on the other hand, did not.  Sure, he may have been involved in some mental institution or something, but really...I think he was given a crappy storyline with annoying dialogue, and I hate seeing him and Vicki together.  Jeff waffled about and never really accomplished anything, whereas Ned made everyone at Collinwood squirm in just a few episodes.  I especially love that scene in which Ned insists on waiting at the cottage for Chris with B & J, both of whom are extremely ill at ease and eager to get rid of him.  I like the early scenes with Dirk; it's implied that he and Beth had something going on before Quentin returned, yet that plot's quickly dropped once Laura shows up.  I really dislike those episodes:  Diana Millay is great, but those repetitive, boring let's-chant-these-made-up-incantations scenes get on my nerves, and Dirk is in a lot of them.  Dirk the vampire was semi-fun, though, and I enjoyed a little bit of Charles Delware Tate (that scene with him and "Pansy" when the blinds fall is hilarious).

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
I actually LIKE Ned Stuart, because he had a reason to be so abrasive and irritating.

Good point, I never really thought of his character in that way.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 07:58:26 PM »
for me all of roger davis' characterizations on the show are variations on jeff clark thus i can never really handle them.i have never seen him in anything else but on d.s. at least he exibited limited range as an actor.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 01:07:16 AM »
Interesting variety of opinions here.  First of all let me qualify that I've never had dealings with him at a Fest.  In 2003 he was MIA (I'm told in the bar) when I went through the autograph line; thus I don't have a PERSONAL opinion on his conduct one way or another.

As to characters, I would say Peter Bradford was my favorite.  He seemed the most balanced of the RD characters.  Tate was pretty good too -- he was supposed to be a tempermental egotistical artist with a mean streak and that's what RD gave us.

Least favorite is pretty much a tie between Ned Stuart (and why oh why one wonders, was he brought back as Carolyn's husband in Return to Collinwood?) and Dirk Wilkins.  Both were pretty one note verbally abusive bullies.  If anything I would say Ned is worse, simply because in Dirk's case that sort of conduct was socially acceptable in his time.  I don't go for historical revisionism in any fiction with any time period.  You can't judge the behaviour of a fictional character by the mores of OUR time, but of the culture and standards of THEIR time.  By those standards, if Beth had gotten more serious about Dirk than the implied just casually "keeping company" with him, by Victorian standards she would have made herself a good catch.

As to Jeff Clark, he's just sort of middle range annoying.  Digging up  decaying body parts is enough to make anyone a little freaky.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 02:58:19 AM »
Ms. Dreadful... I will not judge Dork* by the standards of his time; why not?  Because I judge by my personal standards, not some shifting conformist standard that I just soaked in passively and mindlessly from the "times" I happen to be living in.    The present day world doesn't measure up awfully well to me.

I do try to take context into account, though.    I judge people for doing crappy things, but judge less severely if there really was absolutely no one in a person's environment saying this or that was wrong.     In general, though, I do pass judgement on automatic conformity to standards of the "community", just to get by and get along, and be popular.

*-- A genuine Freudian typo, I guess!   (Dirk)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor