Author Topic: Betsy's Vicki(aka The Icky Vicki)vs Amanda  (Read 2758 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Betsy's Vicki(aka The Icky Vicki)vs Amanda
« on: September 18, 2002, 06:20:03 PM »
I know Minja brought this up in the chat the other night but have  to say that watching Betsy yesterday thought she wasn't as bad  as her first few days and her voice seemed softer, toned down maybe she was trying to hard and did come in to take over another's role but there is no excuse for Amanda Harris Ick! she get my vote as the worst of the two!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Betsy's Vicki(aka The Icky Vicki)vs Amanda
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 08:04:36 PM »
I loathe Amanda Harris.  She is ten times worse than Faux-Vicki, plus she's around a lot longer.

That said, my impressions of Durkin really didn't improve.  I realize that she was in a difficult situation--replacing an actress who had been doing the role for some time and with an impossible part--but it was so over-the-top with her in her bedroom talking to Jeff's timex and then to the blob of light.  Maybe if she'd gone for a more lost quality instead of the John Barrymore hamminess it would have worked better . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 08:09:36 PM »
That's really funny, I found her more strident and out of her league! Perhaps it was just the terrible nature of what she was supposed to be doing. Very similar to Lizzie's rantings about death, and very unpleasant to watch....

I am suspecting the cameraman didn't care for her either. I have never seen such unflattering shots on the show! Did anyone else notice it? I noticed it a few days ago also. EXTREME closeups with an unattractive angle placed on her jaw line. I suspect a more experienced actress would have raised hell about it. (I don't agree at ALL that she is fat, I think she looks quite nice, but she DOES have a full face that could have received a kinder treatment.)

Is the end of Betsey Durkin for the show?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 09:12:20 PM »
Yes it is her last show maybe that is why she was less annoying to me and i know the other one is coming soon!I don't know if Betsy D did anything else there is no other credits listed in IMDb.

jennifer
This Vicki was in 10 shows Amanda is in about 25!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 03:26:11 AM »
Dear Jennifer,

Yeah, it's just too bad that Amanda Harris didn't take up singing or dancing or something!

Bob the Bartender, a big fan of Cassie, the young lady dancer with the legs that just don't quit!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 04:00:44 AM »
IMHO, Amanda Harris is one of the most unbearable characters ever created for DS.  A boring, shallow, fickle, annoying, cardboard cut-out with no redeeming qualities whose greatest talent seemed to be whining, I hated to watch her.  It's unfortunate that the writers tried to build so much of a story around her.  I can't say that I think very highly of Donna McKechnie's acting abilities either.  To be fair, I've never seen Ms. McKechnie in any other role, so it's possible that DS just wasn't the place for her.  I could actually live with Betsy Durkin, but Ms. Harris is another story entirely...  

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 04:14:21 AM »
To be fair, I've never seen Ms. McKechnie in any other role, so it's possible that DS just wasn't the place for her.  I could actually live with Betsy Durkin, but Ms. Harris is another story entirely...

I saw her on Broadway's musical stage in PROMISES, PROMISES and she was just fine in those surroundings.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 07:30:03 AM »
Amanda Harris...how I dislike her.  Maybe it was because someone (who shall remain nameless) and I were talking about Quentin and "the many girls" he had, and "person" says that  Amanda Harris was the one that Quentin loved.  

I started laughing at this comment, and that asked if she had watched the same show.  Then I added that if Beth Chevaz was here she'd claw your eyes out.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2002, 07:35:30 AM »
Betsy Durkin is definitely the Queen of Ick, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I never minded McKechnie.  She's no Nancy Barrett, by a long shot, but IMHO, not that bad.  

I thought Lee Beery was OK too...sorry Bobubas!

Now with Betsy gone...I'll be pretty nice about my comments until we get to Whiney Harrie/Carrie![vylnt]
[/color]

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja [vryevl][/shadow][/size]
My sister-in-law saw McKechnie in Youngstown, Ohio with the Kenley Players in Cabaret along with Billy Crystal and thought she was great!  She also saw Lee Beery there in Show Boat (Lee played Julie) and liked her too.[/color]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2002, 10:55:36 PM »
Didn't Donna McKecknie turn out to be some big Broadway star or leading lady?

I don't know much about Broadway history, but I've heard her name pop up three or four different times as if she went on to become this big Broadway icon or something...  Maybe on the Tony's?

(She's even mentioned in the lyrics to one musical... In Malty & Shire's Baby, where 3 pregnant women sing about their heroes:  Madonna!  Donna McKechnie!  Donna Reed!)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2002, 01:03:41 AM »
Didn't Donna McKecknie turn out to be some big Broadway star or leading lady?

I don't know much about Broadway history, but I've heard her name pop up three or four different times as if she went on to become this big Broadway icon or something...  Maybe on the Tony's?

She won a Tony Award for the role of Cassie in A CHORUS LINE. You could read more about her stage history under Cast on www.collinwood.net if you are interested.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2002, 01:46:40 AM »
I remember seeing her in an episode of Cheers. It was a really big coincidence, mainly because I hate the show LOL. She was in the second episode of the series and played Sam Malone's ditzy ex-wife. A book entitled TV Land to Go said it was one of the best episodes of all time. Maybe DS just wasn't Donna's place.

Connie

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2002, 02:08:21 AM »
Icky Vicki vs. Amanda.
No problem here.  Could not stand Betsy Durkin's performance.  A case of severe over-acting.  Felt like I was watching someone in a high school play.
Amanda didn't bother me much, but then I'd always been under the impression that she wasn't a "serious" actress, but a dancer who'd gotten the part.
What I COULDN'T understand was why Quentin was all of a sudden in love with her -- figured I must have missed some shows.  But that's the writers' department.  
Anyway, Selby's performances had me convinced that he WAS in love with her, so I just went with the program.  LOL
(Selby's performances ALWAYS convince me).  ;)

If you think about it though, how SHOULD Amanda come across?  I mean, granted, there isn't much there - she's pretty vacant - but how could there be?  She was created out of a few brushstrokes.  She has no past, no real defining character, etc.
She doesn't bother me nearly as much as say...
Hallie/Carrie (can't watch her AT ALL)  LOL  or Nancy Barrett's whiny, fretful Melanie in 1841.

Oh well...everyone's bugged by different things, no?

-CLC :)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2002, 03:02:41 AM »
Oh well...everyone's bugged by different things, no?

-CLC :)

Like you ;)

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2002, 06:10:31 AM »
Amanda Harris is the patron saint of insufferable women.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP