Author Topic: Jonathan Frid to participate in Johnny Depp movie  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Jonathan Frid to participate in Johnny Depp movie
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:49 AM »
Glad to find this thread. Yes there is a lot of people saying nasty things about Johnny on FB.  And also X'ing out his face and saying JF has pulled out of the film cause he hated it.  I love how people make up things that are not confirmed.  And it still drives me batty that so many people are hateful towards Johnny. We have a MAJOR star pulling for a the little show that could that we love and people start nasty rumors and cross X's through his face.  Very sad.....although I don't know why I am suprised. I am have seen the kooky side of fandom....many times!!!

PS...thanks for the cryptic message Nancy! That is reassuring!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:27 AM »
Not that this has anything to do with the Depp/DS film - but it does go to show that DS fandom isn't the only fandom that has people with possible closed minds and who jump to conclusions before a frame of film is even shot. Though in this case, the studio, director and producer have released statements defending their choices:

'The Hunger Games' Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth: Lionsgate defends casting

Though we'll also recall the brouhaha surrounding Interview with the Vampire, and particularly Tom Cruise's casting as Lestat, with Ann Rice even jumping on the derogatory comments bandwagon before even a frame of film had been shot. However, Ann Rice did a complete 180 once she saw how the film was turning out...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I remember having a WTF moment when I heard Cruise was to play Lestat.  However, when I saw the film, like Rice, I realized I was wrong and he was an inspired choice for the role.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Taeylor, there is something inherently wrong with someone who hates someone or something fictional to the degree you have described.  I suppose that's why it doesn't bother me.  It's out there behavior and nothing any of us can address to the degree it needs to be.  

People have made up stories over the years (opinions parlayed as fact) about why JF does anything.   Let's just say it makes for good entertainment most of the time.;)

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
I remember having a WTF moment when I heard Cruise was to play Lestat.

Though there's a big difference between having a private WTF moment (I think I might have initially had one, too, over Cruise casting [snow_wink]) and running to the Internet to indulge in behavior as irrational as some in The Hunger Games fandom apparently have and what Taeylor is reporting is happening on Facebook with regard to the Depp/DS film. If any of it was happening after the films had been released, at least one could presume whatever is being said/done is being said/done because the people saying/doing it didn't like the finished films. But to display such level outrage and disgust before even a frame of film has been shot goes way beyond jumping the gun. Though at least in the case of DS fandom it could be a case that the same trolls who've ruined a great deal of the discussions that once took place on the Usenet DS Newsgroup could now be attempting to do the same on Facebook. What they're saying and or doing may not even be expressions of their real opinions because their sole aim is to get other fans riled up and to then sit back and have a good laugh about it. And it's no secret that they have a twisted need to try to ruin anything good that could be happening.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
I had not even thought about the trolls who could be nay-saying just to irritate people and get something going. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
I'm surprised because the possibility of it being trolls was the very first thought I had when I heard about what was happening on Facebook. I even made a comment to Midnite that I hoped they weren't trying to ruin DS on Facebook the way they'd ruined the DS Newsgroup.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
I'm just not as with it as I used to be. [snow_rolleyes]

I'm surprised because the possibility of it being trolls was the very first thought I had when I heard about what was happening on Facebook. I even made a comment to Midnite that I hoped they weren't trying to ruin DS on Facebook the way they'd ruined the DS Newsgroup.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the Hunger Games article, MB!  I'm a fan of the books and have been very interested in how the movie adaptation is progressing. I had not heard that the male leads had been cast, and I've never even heard of any of these actors, so I can't render an opinion as to whether or not they'd be a good fit for the parts. The woman playing Katniss definitely does not look the way the character is described (and I mention that because physical appearances are somewhat symbolic in the novels), but I suppose that's what wigs and make-up are for.  Incidentally, the only role that I did cast in my mind was Haymitch, the wily, crusty old mentor.  As I read the books, I kept picturing him as John Karlen!  Such a shame he's retired...

I can understand the concerns of the books' fans.  It's frustrating when actors in a film adaptation don't match the characters you visualized while reading the book, but then how could any film correspond to the individual images held by millions of different readers?  At least I can always go back to the books and see the characters from the page in my own mind if I don't think the movie got them right. 

I'm the type of person who hates remakes, but for some reason I don't feel as strongly about film adaptations of written material (e.g. novels, plays, folktales) as I do about remakes of TV shows or movies that had no written predecessor.  I don't mind the dozens of versions of Dracula, but when The Mummy and The Wolfman were remade, I was very annoyed.  Maybe that's because to me, a fictional character from a novel is like one of Plato's Forms; it has its own pure existence that can be endlessly reinterpreted but never fully captured.  On the other hand, a character that originated on the screen has a definite shape, look, and voice.  Larry Talbot is Lon Chaney, Jr.  Angelique is Lara Parker.  Anyone else portraying those characters is an imposter, IMO. For that reason, I have no interest in seeing Depp's DS movie, just as I've never watched the 1991 series nor sat through the 2004 pilot.  To me, the show that aired from 1966 to 1971 is the only true "Dark Shadows" and that's what I choose to watch.  To each her own.

ProfStokes

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
Taeylor - Little show? What do you mean our little show. In it's original run DS had much better ratings than Star Trek and at one point it had better ratings than any show on day time TV! Some even say it saved ABC. Little show indeed.

IMHO the only reason it isn't bigger than Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings is because it was handled wrong. I'll also say that if this movie is handled right it still can be.

The way I see it Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are the ones that should feel honored.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
The way I see it Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are the ones that should feel honored.

I think they do or they wouldn't be doing this movie. I know vampires have become en vogue at the moment, but I think their heart is in the right place. I think DS is buried in the psyche of those who have forgotten about it for 40 years... My hope is that the "Oh yes, I DO remember that show" thing will have a cascading effect on the populous, but I may be just dreaming again. I'm hoping it will be huge!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
I hope it will be the biggest movie so far, as in break all records.
May you die before you want too.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:16 AM »
I had a WTF moment when I heard that VAL KILMER?? wasa playing Jim Morrison in The DOORS.  I wound up thinkng he was robbed at the Oscars. The movie was a disaster in terms of getting the facts straight. I won't go into detail, but I've read many, many bios of Morrison. No one has ever recounted a story about him trying to burn his common law wife Pamela allive for doing heroin!!  I had prejudgeed the film based upon the casting. It turned out that was the leasrt of my worries. Batman fans, myself NOT INCLUDED, made the same mistake when he was cast as Bruce Wayne.  Again there were other problems with the movie, but Val wasn't one of them.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:27 AM »
i'll never,ever understand this weird competitive stuff with "star trek".

so it's not as "big" as star trek whatever that's supposed to mean. does that somehow negate out experience with the show? [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
Unfortunate choice of words Borgosi.  .  I guess what I was trying to say is:  I was trying to say the show was little, I was thinking in the terms of how I care for it.  Like my my friend Misty, I call her my little friend because of my affection for her.  It's like a term of endearment.   I am probably making no sense whatsoever here but I was trying to say the show wasn't a big thing. I have been in fandom for 20 years and know all the numbers by heart.....I know what the phenomena was all about.

I also mean in a way that DS wasn't One Life To Live or a General Hopstial it was very different! And at first it was the little show that could and it did.

So If I offended you Borgosi...I am sorry....it was just taken wrong.  BTW....Johnny and Burton should feel honored and I feel they do feel that way. I think that is why it will be good.  However, at the same time I feel honored as well.  JMO

I don't talk to the trolls on FB who are doing this I have just heard about it and seen it.  

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/