Author Topic: The Great Debate  (Read 4582 times)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Debate
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2003, 11:30:40 PM »
Quentin's nice.....but Barnabas, well..............

I know just what you mean.......lol.

Barnabas certainly does have substance.  And so much more.  He just seems to be more reliable (at least in 1897).  It seems that if you had a problem, you could go and talk to him about it and feel better, even if he couldn't help you.   And he has a tremendous presence that at times seems overpowering, at least to the members of the board here like myself and Terry and Robin.  We just want to put our arms around him and hug him.  And feed him.  And tuck him in.  And so on and so on.

Are there any other members of the board like us?  If so, I demand that you come out of the shadows and post your love for Barnabas at once!

Ahem, sorry, just got carried away.  ;D

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2003, 06:00:10 AM »
I vote for Barnabas.    I could go for living in the old house by candlelight.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2003, 06:10:00 AM »

Ya know, once a couple of years ago, I got into this silly message thing back and forth with someone who said Quentin had cooties.  So I said Barnabas had cooties, and it went back and forth for I don't know how long.
LOL

[silly]

Connie...you are SO funny!

You're from Joisey, right, capice??
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2003, 06:19:23 AM »
Hey this is kind of fun!

Well of course I'd have to choose Barnabas.  His eyes and facial expressions and voice...aaah!  And, such a nice  face I might add! Quentin, very nice to look at but not for the long haul I'm afraid.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2003, 02:19:59 AM »
Nope, the answer is still ROGER. I'm too old for Barney and his melodrama bores me now that I'm not 13. Quentin is adorable, but I want someone who will be faithful and not running off falling in love with a twit. (Doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking though...)

Roger and I will be very happy together.

Quentin would probably be great in the sack, but you'd probably also catch something fun like syphilis or gonorrhea from him. Then there's the other Mr. Dependable. No way.

Maybe we can share Roger ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2003, 03:05:39 AM »
Well, let's see:

Quentin is good for fun & one night stands. I wouldn't plan on any long term relationships with him.

Barnabas could be, and I say COULD BE, a reliable good friend if you were in need & in his good graces. Otherwise, you'd be left in the lurch.

Roger is too uppity for me. He'd have the resources but his personality would turn me off.

I should pick Willie but I don't need to mother someone.

My choice is Bob the Bartender! He has his own business, he's his own boss,  and is quiet & seems reliable.  That's my choice.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Connie

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2003, 03:59:21 AM »
Quentin would probably be great in the sack, but you'd probably also catch something fun like syphilis or gonorrhea from him.

I, for one, object to this remark!

>:(

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2003, 04:03:16 AM »
Lucia. . you are very right about ole Quentin. . .he's probably picked up several cases of the clap given his wandering needs .. .
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2003, 06:28:47 AM »
Luciaphil wrote:
>Quentin would probably be great in the sack, but you'd
>probably also catch something fun like syphilis or
>gonorrhea from him.

I, for one, object to this remark!

>:(

Well, one of my favorite moments in 1897 is when Charity accuses Quentin of wanting to go to the village to see "some slut" rather than stay at Collinwood with her. Somehow I doubt Charity was pulling that possibility out of thin air so far as Quentin proclivities went - and turn of the century prostitutes weren't exactly known to practice "safe sex" - so I'd say Luciaphil's remark is most probably not all that far off the mark. [lghy]

Reality check, 1897 Quentin fans - your boy was hardly a saint. But truthfully isn't that one of the reasons you like him so much? [winkb]

Connie

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2003, 10:48:13 AM »
Reality check, 1897 Quentin fans - your boy was hardly a saint. But truthfully isn't that one of the reasons you like him so much? [winkb]

I was just KIDDING!!  LOL

But actually, if we're going to be technical about it and take everything at face value, if Quentin has spent his adult life screwing around with VD-infected prostitutes, he'd either be dead, or very sick by now since penicillin wasn't invented yet in the late 1800's.  He certainly doesn't appear to be afflicted with any sort of venereal disease to ME!!  LOL

Yes...it's true.  One of the reasons we like him so much is because he's "hardly a saint".  But another reason is because he's just the most PRECIOUS thing.  (At least to me).  ROFL

:-* ;) :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2003, 11:24:38 AM »
But actually, if we're going to be technical about it and take everything at face value, if Quentin has spent his adult life screwing around with VD-infected prostitutes, he'd either be dead, or very sick by now since penicillin wasn't invented yet in the late 1800's.  He certainly doesn't appear to be afflicted with any sort of venereal disease to ME!!  LOL

SPOILER...

That poor, poor portrait.  No wonder it was so fugly (thanks to Robin for the word!) by 1969. ;)

Yes...it's true.  One of the reasons we like him so much is because he's "hardly a saint".  But another reason is because he's just the most PRECIOUS thing.  (At least to me).  ROFL

:-* ;) :-*

LOL!  Quentin inspires some to say "yummy"; I say, "Praise the Lord and pass the penicillin!"

(??!!)

Connie

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2003, 11:40:18 AM »
SPOILER...

That poor, poor portrait.  No wonder it was so fugly (thanks to Robin for the word!) by 1969. ;)

No...but I mean in 1897.  He's in his late 20's.  So if he's spent the last 10 years or so with hookers, he'd have already had VD for quite awhile -- ya know what I mean?
I mean in the show right now.

[wavey]  Hi Midnite!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2003, 12:36:05 PM »
No...but I mean in 1897.  He's in his late 20's.  So if he's spent the last 10 years or so with hookers, he'd have already had VD for quite awhile -- ya know what I mean?
I mean in the show right now.

[wavey]  Hi Midnite!

Hi, sweetheart.  I know what you mean, and I was just having a little fun too.  But if you want me to put my nurse hat on (on no, not THAT!), untreated syphilis might progress to the phase in which it causes serious effects within those 10 years (it usually does in 3 or 4), but it could also remain latent for many years.

:-X

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2003, 06:49:16 PM »

Hi, sweetheart.  I know what you mean, and I was just having a little fun too.  But if you want me to put my nurse hat on (on no, not THAT!), untreated syphilis might progress to the phase in which it causes serious effects within those 10 years (it usually does in 3 or 4), but it could also remain latent for many years.

:-X

That's right. The chancres appear and then appear to go away, but it stays in the system doing all kinds of damage. :P

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2003, 10:44:25 PM »
Without Barnabas, I don't think there would be a Dark Shadows beyond the first year. He is the common denominator in every story---------------he is sinister, sexy, and sensational. Quentin is a "pretty boy" who has mucho girls. He is definitely sexy and certainly turns me on!  Bottom line: For me, Barnabas all the way. I think Quentin throws some humor into his role and that's what I enjoy most in his character. But who would I take home with me? BARNABAS.
                                                    Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!