Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0788  (Read 518 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0788
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
Robservations #788

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0788

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:48 PM »
Is any explanation ever offered about the restoration of Evan's face?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
I have my own hypothesis, Uncle Roger: [spoiler]I think that the hand switched its powers from Evan to Quentin, so that by the end of this episode we have MFQ and a restored Evan.[/spoiler]

The werewolf transforms, but his face is just as deformed as Evan's--so transformed that Edward doesn't recognize his own brother, despite Quentin's height, clothes, and very distinctive sideburns. Quentin has also lost his powers of thought and speech. A moment after it happens, Magda hurries in and gasps, I don’t understand! What don’t you understand? Edward asks. She quickly covers up and says, You were right [i.e., that the creature is a werewolf]. Edward suspects she knows very well who the werewolf is.

Once Edward is gone, Magda begs Quentin, Look at me. Do you understand nothing of what has happened? But he ignores her and murmurs, The forest--the forest of Aujedon (sp??). They took me there. You don't even know who you are or who I am, Magda laments. As if she hadn’t spoken, Quentin continues, There were nine of them, nine gypsies. The hand has changed you, Magda says, desperate to reach him. The hand! she repeats. The hand, he echoes dully. Edward didn’t recognize you, your secret is safe, Magda tells him urgently. We must get you out of here! But he’s still off on his own tangent: Nine gypsies standing around a fire, nine gypsies coming toward me! I must tell Barnabas what has happened--he’ll know what to do, Magda tells the oblivious Quentin.

Edward tells Judith (wearing a pretty blue satin gown with green trim) about the werewolf, but she's more interested in a dream she had, unfortunately off camera. Minerva appeared to her and told her to beware the queen of spades. She turns away from Edward and screams when she sees a half-finished game of solitaire on the table, even though she hadn't been playing. She picks up the queen of spades and walks out, apparently in a trance.

Judith has arrived at the grave of Minerva Trask, “who departed this life 1897, age 50 years,” the marker tells us helpfully. I’ve come to you, Judith tells her predecessor. What do you want to tell me? Luckily Edward has followed her and catches her when she almost faints. Let me take you home and get a doctor, Edward pleads. Come with me, Judith. She says coldly, I will thank you to call me Mrs. Trask. I will come home when I am ready. Edward finally gives up and leaves her alone. Evidently possessed, she turns away and addresses the empty air: I know what must be done, I know now. The camera homes in on Minerva’s gravestone to end the scene.

Magda arrives at Collinwood, again looking for Beth. Edward is phoning the still MFE Evan and wants him to come over ASAP--he's afraid Judith is losing her mind. When Evan prevaricates, Edward threatens to find another lawyer. Then he turns his attention to Magda. Did you consider what we discussed earlier? Edward asks. Yes, she replies. I thought it over. If I could help you find Barnabas, I would--but unfortunately, I can’t. Perhaps the future you should be concerned about is your own! Edward suggests coldly. Gypsies aren't like other people, Magda tells him. You have your little crises, and they're very upsetting. Our lives are one long, continuous crisis. We know it, we deal with it, we always survive it! [great little speech!] Their conversation is sliding into a quarrel when Judith returns, slamming the door behind her. She gestures at Magda and asks Edward, Who is _she_? And what is she doing here? Edward and Magda exchange worried looks. Well, Judith huffs, isn’t either of you going to speak up? Magda tries to laugh it off, saying, You’re making jokes. We do not make jokes, madam, Judith huffs. We run a very proper school here. School? Edward asks. Miss Judith isn't feeling well, Magda suggests, scared. I'm feeling fine, Judith insists, turning toward her. If you came in answer to that ad we placed in the paper, you are wasting your time! She fingers Magda's clothing with disgust and comments, I don't like the way you dress, and your jewelry is hideous! Send her away, she orders Edward. Judith! Judith! Edward says, trying to bring her back to the present. Judith ignores his plea and tells him, Send my daughter to me. Edward protests, You don't have a daughter. Of course I do, Judith replies angrily, and I wish you'd stop calling me Judith! My name is Minerva, but _you_ may address me as Mrs. Trask She walks grandly into the drawing room as Edward and Magda exchange looks, stunned and puzzled.

At 3:00 p.m., Edward closes the drawing room doors, leaving Judith inside, then answers a knock at the front door. Evan Hanley walks jauntily into Collinwood--his face completely restored (though he’s missing his usual widow’s peak). I’m glad you decided to do the intelligent thing, Edward comments. Just as Evan tells Edward, I apologize for my earlier hesitancy over the phone, Magda emerges from the servants’ door. Shocked speechless (for once) at the sight of Evan’s restored face, she drops her little bag. Irritated at her fear, Edward asks her, What are you staring at? Evan keeps his eyes on Magda as she kneels to pick up her bag. Good afternoon, Mr. Hanley, she says politely. Tipping his hat to her, Evan comments, You’re looking well. Still stooping to get her bag and really scared, Magda answers slowly, You are, too. Then she practically runs to the servants’ door.

Edward fills Evan in on the Judith situation. He says that she seemed to think she was being haunted by Minerva Trask. [No one ever explicitly stated this before--maybe a scene with this information was cut from the script?] And now she thinks she _is_ the first Mrs. Trask. But Edward's real worry is that as long as Judith thinks she's Minerva, "dear Gregory" will take over the house. Evan asks to speak to Judith alone, and Edward retires to the study. As Evan is about to open the drawing room doors, Magda comes out from the servants’ door again and calls, Mr. Hanley! I must speak with you! You and I have nothing to say to each other--GYPSY, he says with a very cold smile. She tells him, You’re very lucky that your face was restored! How did it happen? Wouldn't you like to know? Evan says with a laugh. Was it the hand? she asks eagerly. You're wasting your time, Evan says bluntly--I'll never tell you. I'm asking on Quentin's behalf, she says. There was a full moon last night, and Quentin transformed! The police caught him and put him in the Collinsport jail. Then he changed back this morning, and they know who he is, Evan surmises. No, Magda says. The hand did to Quentin what it did to you. He isn’t recognizable, but if your face is back to normal now.… Then his will be, too, then they will recognize him, and that's why you must help him! she pleads in a rush. You've come to the wrong man, Evan tells her coldly. I have no intention of any further involvement with Quentin--and I have no desire to do anything that would help _you_! Disgusted and furious, Magda spits on the floor at his feet and stalks out.

It’s still 3:05, and Judith is still in the drawing room, playing solitaire. Evan approaches her politely and asks, May I sit and talk to you? She looks up at him and exclaims, You! You are the one! I don’t understand, Evan says. Seizing the letter opener and holding it high, she advances on Evan, who listens in shock as she tells him, You made Timothy Shaw poison me!....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »
Collinsport "Gaol"-- was it still spelled that way?   Ed is blessed to witness the debut appearance of Melty Face Quentin, whose melty face evokes none of the body horror of Evan's, and just looks like the most rushed, unplanned papier mache mask ever made.  I wonder if that was it.  No one competent was available, or they had to do it at the last minute? 

Judith in Drawing Room.... the camera focuses in on her wedding ring.  I like Magda's speech about how gypsies' lives are non-stop crisis, and that they just have to deal with it, unlike the Collinses, to whom a crisis is the end of the world.  Minerva possesses Judith. 

Nice cat-eating-canary scene, as Evan turns up, all solidified in the facey area, and Magda is utterly flummoxed and has to know how it was done.  She assumes the truth even though Evan leaves her hanging though.  So much for Evan's pretending he could control the Hand after all... she must have realized that could not possibly have been it. 

Judith as Mrs. Trask part one goes after Evan slowly with a knife.  Bum bum BUM.  You find out everything after you die... like who really killed you and how and why... a bit of compensation I suppose.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor