Author Topic: Tomb of Ligeia, Continued  (Read 777 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Tomb of Ligeia, Continued
« on: May 08, 2002, 03:37:25 AM »
I had trouble when I searched for the previous thread by this title. I was supposed to enter something about my previous age and my maximum age since last posting, which I couldn't figure out.  Then I went to my profile page and that usually has something at the bottom of the page where you can search for the posts that person has made, but that wasn't there this time -- that may have had something to do with the page taking five minutes to load, so I finally hit "Stop."  Since I wasn't sure if the page had fully loaded, I hit "Refresh" and then got a blank page.  I tried backtracking to my previous page and that made me leave ds boards.  So I closed my Explorer browser and brought up the Netscape browser.  I was surprised to see I was still logged in, but when I tried to begin a new topic, it asked for my user name and password, as if I wasn't logged in.  So I decided to log in (again?), began a new topic, and there was no box to write the message in!  There was only a tiny box about the size of a small "o," but square.   >:(

So now I've gone back to the Internet Explorer browser, brought up dsboards, and it looks like I'm already logged in ... ::)

Boy, I better have something important to say after all that ...

All I wanted to mention was that I was finally able to view the movie "The Tomb of Ligeia," which was recommended by Darren Gross (I hope that's his last name; if not, I don't know where I came up with it ... I seem to have a problem remembering names of characters, actors, and posters ...).  Darren mentioned the movie as having inspired the Angelique/Alexis part of the 1970 PT storyline,  I think it was.

Although I don't remember that aspect of the storyline well enough, I could vaguely see the connection, at least if Angelique had "willed" herself to live even after death.  I think this may have been the point of the original Poe story, too, having quickly glanced at it last night (I know I read it years ago, but don't remember it).

There didn't seem to be as many parallels between this movie and DS as there were between "The Haunted Palace" and DS, but I found "The Tomb of Ligeia" to be infinitely superior.

The movie is gorgeously filmed on the actual site of a ruined abbey, with lots of interesting camera work and subtle performances.  I don't know if it was due to my lack of sleep or not, but this was one of the most confusing and puzzling movies I've ever seen -- very intellectually engaging!  I'm not sure I entirely figured it out, but I definitely want to watch it again.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the 1970 PT storyline (though that's one of my least favorites) and is interested in exploring its connection with this movie.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Search feature and Netscape
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2002, 04:13:18 AM »
Vlad, you poor thing!!!

I had trouble when I searched for the previous thread by this title. I was supposed to enter something about my previous age and my maximum age since last posting, which I couldn't figure out.

Try these search parameters--

Search for:  Ligeia  (leave at match all words)
By user:  Vlad  (leave at all members only)
Board:  Current Talk
Fields:  message +/or subject
Min age: (skip it since "Ligeia" hasn't come up since your original post)
Max age:  the post was made a week ago, so 10 [days] is plenty
Display how many results:  can leave at 25, which is way more than enough

So I closed my Explorer browser and brought up the Netscape browser.  I was surprised to see I was still logged in, but when I tried to begin a new topic, it asked for my user name and password, as if I wasn't logged in.  So I decided to log in (again?), began a new topic, and there was no box to write the message in!  There was only a tiny box about the size of a small "o," but square. >:(

Netscape needs to be a newer version than 4.79 (I think that's the cutoff; now who's having memory problems? ;)) in order to write messages.

Hope this helped!

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb of Ligeia, Continued
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 05:46:15 AM »
I can relate. I think there is more than one reason they call it the web....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton