Author Topic: Julia rocks, Julia rolls!  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Julia rocks, Julia rolls!
« on: February 19, 2002, 05:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 19, 2002 at 11:23:33:

Wowee-zowee, I can't let today's montage pass without a very special tip of my hat to the Mysterious Benefactor. You've really outdone yourself! Those shots of Julia FREAKIN' OUT have got to rate as some of the best captures I've ever seen of Grayson Hall's unique body language. FABULOUS!

It also reminds me why I'm certain that Sam and Grayson concocted a lot of this out of Jean Cocteau's one woman play, The Human Voice, in which Grayson won rave reviews when she performed it at the Hedgerow Theatre (near Philadelphia) in 1961.

Can't wait to go home and pull my tape of these shows off the shelf. Truly quality television!

Thank you again Mr. Mysterious. We love you!

Steve

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 10:10:10 PM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 19, 2002 at 16:10:10:

Steve's
I'm certain that Sam and Grayson concocted a lot of this out of Jean Cocteau's one woman play, The Human Voice, in which Grayson won rave reviews when she performed it at the Hedgerow Theatre (near Philadelphia) in 1961.

Hi, Steve! I didn't know that "The Human Voice" might possibly have inspired Grayson's brilliant portrayal of Julia losing it. I can almost hear the applause and whistles from the cast and crew for her at the end of that day's taping.

As I mentioned in a recent post ("All Julia, All the Time"), this "home alone" ep has got to be one of my favorites. I am so glad Grayson got to carry this one practically solo. Few other actors on DS were accorded this privilege and honor. I remember how when the principal cast was out shooting HODS, some of the episodes had gotten a little thin with the second-stringers. I mean, could we stand Amanda Harris whining throughout an entire ep (or did it just seem like it)??

Ben
(heading over to the Blue Whale to toast Grayson's fine performance today with a little brandy, sherry, and maybe even a hot toddy!)

Offline waylonsmithers

• How narcissistic of me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 11:01:39 PM »
Originally posted by Waylon Smithers on February 19, 2002 at 17:01:39:
In Reply to: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Steve on February 19, 2002 at 11:23:33:

Ah, yes! The infamous "Grayson solo" episode! IMHO, this episode alone justifies DS' existence. I can forgive D.C. and Company any mistakes made during the run of the series, simply because they provided us with this amazing episode.

Steve, I did not know that Grayson performed at Hedgerow. I live not too far from the theater. It's incredible to think that Grayson Hall once graced that stage.

Regards,

John

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 11:30:38 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 19, 2002 at 17:30:38:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Ben on February 19, 2002 at 16:10:10:

;D ;D  I just luv her, i can't say any more than that. (Big surprise I know!) It is amazing to me that they decided to do this episode, knew she could carry if off (if not a little over the top at moments but she was stage trained. :) Did I mention here that it is ironic that if they were cutting costs, why did they use the probably 2nd highest paid actor in their company for one entire show? (I assume given her credits, experience and Oscar nom that she was paid rather well but Joan I am sure got most the mullah). J99 ;D ;D
Julia99

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 11:40:18 PM »
Originally posted by Vlad on February 19, 2002 at 17:40:18:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Julia99 on February 19, 2002 at 17:30:38:

The episode reminded me of a similar "tour de force" that Agnes Moorhead gave on an episode of "The Twilight Zone," I think it was, that I caught a while back. (She was being pursued by a tiny flying saucer or something.) It was similarly silly, but not *quite* so campy (can't believe I used that term in reference to DS, but there you go ¢â‚¬¦).

But learning of the association with "La Voix Humaine" does add some gravitas ¢â‚¬¦

:)

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2002, 01:02:56 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on February 20, 2002 at 07:02:56:

Hi Julia,

From some info given to me in confidence by a person who had spoken with a DS cast member, I don't think (at this point, certainly) Grayson was making any more than the other cast members (apart from Joan, of course). I don't know for sure; the only way to know would be either to interview whomever was her agent back then (if that person is still alive) or if DC still has the contracts (which I doubt).

John, if you see this, Grayson did an entire season at Hedgerow in the Summer of '61. They did the Cocktail Party by T. S. Eliot, and one of Sam's plays ... can't recall offhand what else. Wouldn't it be fabulous to see her in those roles?

Believe it or not, all the Hedgerow archives are up here at the Boston U. Theatre Collection. That is cool that you live so close to the theatre.

Steve

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2002, 02:07:32 PM »
Originally posted by Happybat on February 20, 2002 at 08:07:32:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Vlad on February 19, 2002 at 17:40:18:

Good observation, Vlad! The episode you mention is an all-time classic TZ one called "The Invaders". Moorehead's performance is definitely remarkable, but I disagree with you about the silliness of it as I think the script and concept a brilliant one. If you don't recall the episode, I heartily recommend you see it again. :)

Yes, Julia really rocks and rolls, doesn't she? That expressive face, the howl of anguish - priceless! Comparing her to Moorehead's performance in TZ, I would say Julia's is definitely less subtle and more over-the-top. Yes, the word "campy" does spring to mind, as it often does with DS in general! But isn't that one of the reasons we love it?
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2002, 10:15:54 PM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 20, 2002 at 16:15:54:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Julia99 on February 19, 2002 at 17:30:38:

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that they would pay her per each episode in which she appeared. So it would have been the same cost as if she had only been on five minutes. And of course, much cheaper for the lack of other actors. I understood that Alexandra Moltke doing the voiceovers when Vicky didn't appear in that episode was getting too pricy for them to continue with. And about time, too!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Great episode, BUT.....
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2002, 10:19:01 PM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 20, 2002 at 16:19:01:
In Reply to: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Steve on February 19, 2002 at 11:23:33:

It struck me as more than coincidental that so soon after her husband being hired as writer, she gets a solo performance! I'm sure the others would have loved a chance for something similar. No wonder she wasn't terribly popular with most of the cast....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Great episode, BUT.....
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2002, 11:28:38 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 20, 2002 at 17:28:38:
In Reply to: Great episode, BUT..... posted by kuanyin on February 20, 2002 at 16:19:01:

No wonder she wasn't terribly popular with most of the cast....

:(
Where did you hear that from?? The only cast member who didn't seem particularly fond of Grayson was Lara Parker whom she apparently intimidated. . . ??? KLS, AM-I, LE all seemed to have nothing but good things to say, even DH who said she was a 'royal pain in the ass' said he loved her. Also, I think it was KLS or AM-I said everyone had a crush on her. . ??? Now, i don't assume she and Frid were all that friendly but if i worked with someone every day for 5 years and they forgot 1/2 their work (no matter the reason), I might be a bit miffed myself. . . ???

:( still. . J99
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2002, 12:32:45 AM »
Originally posted by Luciaphil on February 20, 2002 at 18:32:45:

Steve,

Do you happen to know if the actors on DS were paid per episode or if they had more of a contractual arrangement?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2002, 01:18:06 AM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 20, 2002 at 19:18:06:
In Reply to: Re: Great episode, BUT..... posted by Julia99 on February 20, 2002 at 17:28:38:

David Selby also said that she was very special to him. . .and I believe Nancy Barrett and she were almost best friends. . .so really, Kuayin, your statement confounds me. . are you privy to some knowledge most of US don't have??

okay now i'm ranting. . .J99
Julia99

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2002, 12:11:35 PM »
Originally posted by JoeyTrom on February 21, 2002 at 06:11:35:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Happybat on February 20, 2002 at 08:07:32:

Some TV shows did have "one person episodes". Maude did one episode with just Maude talking to a psychiatrist (who we barely see and he never speaks) and another one where it's just Maude and Walter arguing about who "Maude" really is.

"MASH" did an all-Hawkeye episode where he has a head injury and dpeaks constantly to remain conscious while in the home of a Korean family and none of them understand what he is saying.

"All in the Family" had Archie in the cellar for 3/4 of the show by himself (though the others appeared in his imagination)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2002, 12:54:44 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on February 21, 2002 at 06:54:44:
In Reply to: Great episode, BUT..... posted by kuanyin on February 20, 2002 at 16:19:01:

The reason Sam Hall gave for why the "Grayson solo" happened was that Dan Curtis did not want to use more than X number of actors per week total and because of having too many actors in other episodes around that time, he wanted to do at least one show with as few actors as possible.

Since they needed practically the entire cast for the seance episode which happened the same week as this, I buy Sam's explanation, disingenuous though it may appear. It is certainly true that after the very early weeks of DS, they never seem to have more than 7 actors in one day's show. I think there was an episode in the late Summer or early Fall of 1968, however, that had 9. Others who are more up on the statistics of the show than I would know this.

Since Grayson had been such a hit in "The Human Voice," which she did perform solo, and since at various times in her career she repeatedly did long solo pieces letter-perfect as a tour de force, I'm assuming that Sam thought it might be fun to have her do something like this as part of the storyline where Barnabas is trying to drive her out of her mind. It certainly does seem like nothing else seen on the television of the time!

As for Grayson's relationship with other cast members--she was friendly off the set with Joan Bennett, Nancy Barrett, Selby, Thayer David (the woman he married, Valerie French, was a friend of G's), Alexandra ... I could lengthen the list but I think I've made my point. She was a woman of unusual energies who clearly could be "high maintenance" as a friend. She was not one to refrain from speaking her mind if she felt it was warranted.

Steve

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2002, 01:18:43 AM »
Originally posted by Vlad on February 21, 2002 at 19:18:43:
In Reply to: Re: Julia rocks, Julia rolls! posted by Happybat on February 20, 2002 at 08:07:32:

Glad to see you've found your way to the new board, happybat! By the way, how are you and Gingercat?

Yes, Moorhead's performance was infinitely more subtle ... I felt a little sorry for her, though, it seemed like she really had to come up with a LOT of things to do! Guess I'm just not much of a sci-fi person, though -- I found the premise sillier than that of the DS episode in question ...

Still would have loved to have seen the truly great Agnes Moorhead on Dark Shadows (per a VN discussion a few years back!)

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995