Author Topic: Goddess Grayson Hall  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Goddess Grayson Hall
« on: May 21, 2002, 07:44:43 PM »
I just have to share the perhaps unwelcome observation that Dr. Julia Hoffman's Dream Curse sequence may be one of the most brilliant bits of videotape in the history of American television.

I have also seen the fan version but the original is SO much better.  My two favorite moments are when Mrs. Johnson is silently beckoning Julia to the door and Julia is hysterically asking her, "Why are you doing this to me???" and it looks as if Mrs. J is about to grab Julia's breast!  I can imagine "Sister Wendy"'s comment on that!  "The religouth thignificanth of Dr Julia Hoffman's BREATHT"  THEN the climactic scream as the Death Bride is revealed is so transfigurative, transcendental and, well, just a HOOT to witness.

I really wish there was video of Grayson and Clarice discussing that scene after taping. I'm sure both ladies had some hilarious comments to make about shooting it!

As far as I am concerned, moments like this are DS at its most inspired.  I know others do not agree, but I had to just TELL THE DREAM.  Now I can rest ...

But no, cigarettes do NOT calm my nerves,

Gothick

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Goddess Grayson Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 08:55:46 PM »
I just have to share the perhaps unwelcome observation that Dr. Julia Hoffman's Dream Curse sequence may be one of the most brilliant bits of videotape in the history of American television.

I have also seen the fan version but the original is SO much better.  My two favorite moments are when Mrs. Johnson is silently beckoning Julia to the door and Julia is hysterically asking her, "Why are you doing this to me???" and it looks as if Mrs. J is about to grab Julia's breast!  I can imagine "Sister Wendy"'s comment on that!  "The religouth thignificanth of Dr Julia Hoffman's BREATHT"  THEN the climactic scream as the Death Bride is revealed is so transfigurative, transcendental and, well, just a HOOT to witness.

I really wish there was video of Grayson and Clarice discussing that scene after taping. I'm sure both ladies had some hilarious comments to make about shooting it!

As far as I am concerned, moments like this are DS at its most inspired.  I know others do not agree, but I had to just TELL THE DREAM.  Now I can rest ...

But no, cigarettes do NOT calm my nerves,

Gothick

I '.m going to have to go back and look at that again
Steve! haven't been paying that much attention to the dream curse!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 03:05:52 AM »

*                *                 *

I have also seen the fan version but the original is SO much better.  As far as I am concerned, moments like this are DS at its most inspired.  

Gothick, I haven't had much time to keep up day-to-day with DS these last few months, but your post inspired me to pull out the videotape and track down Julia's dream.  What a hoot!  LOVED her raspy scream at the end (I wanted to stand up and applaud).  The exposed fog machine added to the charm!

I must confess that my favorite Grayson over-the-top episode is what I fondly refer to as "Home Alone" at Collinwood -- when she is haunted by the ghost of the recently departed Dr. Woodard.  I especially enjoyed hearing her echoing voice thinking out loud.  

I truly enjoy how Grayson could display rock-solid strength and courage, yet reveal moments of panic, nervousness, and terror.  

Now what's the "fan version" to which you are referring?

Ben

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 03:18:55 AM »
::laughing:: My sister and I call it the "patented Julia scream"

That was a great scene!

~Arashi

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 05:35:44 AM »
Julia's dream...ah yes.  Loved the slow motion bit!  Dear Grayson could really affect a scream too.  The part I particularly like is afterward when she is talking to Barnabas and is trying to avoid Mrs. J.   :-X   She's a wreck!  Great GH moment with the nervousness and fidgits.  Then after telling the dream she's so calm and placid.  
Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 09:17:26 AM »
You know as I watched the episode the other day, I know others here and elsewhere (about to meet hundreds of them next month) feel that Grayson was odd and over-the-top but as I watched her, I got the sense she might've thought. .

I don't have to prove my abilities  to these people. .i need to eat, cloth my kid and throw FABULOUS parties. .I've got the Oscar nom, books of fabulous theatrical reviews, I'm gonna do weird/wild sh*t on this show, who cares. .who's gonna remember??"

Thank God some of us do care and remember. . as Lara Parker said, Grayson was never afraid to do "her thing". . .

Julia99

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 09:14:48 PM »
J99 wrote:  Thank God some of us do care and remember. . as Lara Parker said, Grayson was never afraid to do "her thing". .

For which many of us say Hallelujah!  :D  Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
And Praise the Lord!!  I absolutely love this scene with Grayson and the curse.  I could listen to GH scream all day.  I agree with RJ as well.  GH seemed to have fun with DS.  It was weird, it was wild, and it was cutting edge.  Who the hell wouldn't have wanted to be a part of that.  I know I would love to be a part of something like DS.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/