Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0326  (Read 1593 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0326
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0326
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:52:48 AM »
Very Good Show. David did a great job. As was said earlier, who make David have the dream. If it was Barnabas he was the one the gave away his condition. He only has himself to blame. If he wants to misdirect David in his thoughts why was he so mean to him. Doesn't that just enforce the idea that David has right now.

If Julia is a Historian, wouldn't ti be strange that she would moonlight by doing hypnosis, being a child phsycologist. ODD. Vickie gets smart for one episode and then she get dumb again. STRANGE.   David now knows that Julia is working with Barnabas. Very creepy show. Everyone is now doing Dumb things, especially those who should know better, Barnabas and Julia.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 02:05:45 AM »
I spent a large portion of today's episode looking at Julia's wig, trying to figure out if it look weirder that usual, or if it was just that I hadn't seen it in a while.  Or maybe it got mishandled when somebody else wore it for David's dream on Friday?

Yes, the dream is strange.  The medallion part comes out of thin air.  I can't imagine that it would come from Sarah; it's just not her area of interest.  One doesn't like to criticize, but...the writers are trying to get somewhere, and I don't think they're taking the best route.

I liked Barnabas's description of Willie as half-alive and half-dead.  At the moment Barnabas and Willie have more in common than they've ever had before.

Liz was shrewd today.  Joan Bennett does that so well.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:25 AM »
I liked Barnabas's description of Willie as half-alive and half-dead.  At the moment Barnabas and Willie have more in common than they've ever had before.

I don't recall this.    Potentially cool.      I haven't looked at Julia's wig for any extended period of any kind.       I owed it to subsequent centuries to settle this issue.   So there.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:17:36 AM »
Very Good Show. David did a great job. As was said earlier, who make David have the dream. If it was Barnabas he was the one the gave away his condition. He only has himself to blame.

I don't think Barnabas caused David to have the dream.......he's so desperate to keep his secret safe from anyone and everyone,  so deliberately exposing his secret to the boy in a dream doesn't make any sense. David is already suspicious of him enough, why should Barnabas want to encourage it any further?

As to who caused the dream....who knows? I don't think it was Sarah either, certainly she wouldn't have wanted to put David's life in danger. I mean, she has kept him in the dark so far about her origins, where she came from, who her family is.

LOL at Lydia's comment about Barnabas and Willie finally having something in common....so true, so true.

Great episode.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 03:24:41 AM »
Barnabas was so upset about how Julia hadn't made sure that Willie had died. I forgot I like the comment about the  memoir.  >:D ;D. There were some great lines in this show. The writing is getting better. They are kind of getting where Barnabas is coming from.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:58:27 AM »
It had better be getting better.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:07 AM »
I don't think Barnabas caused David's dream either. However, an argument could be made that if he did, the intent wasn't to expose his secret to David but to discredit him in a similar way to how Barnabas will be going about discrediting David in a future episode (involving a certain beloved prop on a stick  ;)).

I believe the most likely cause is that David's own intuitive powers brought about the dream. His experience in the mausoleum coupled with Barnabas' overreaction to it have caused David's unconscious mind to stumble upon the truth that Barnabas is indeed one of the undead - and David's pyschic intuition warned him about Julia, though he wasn't sure just who the woman was until the incident with Julia and her medallion actually took place. That scenario seems perfectly in keeping with David's character and the intuitive abilities he's thus far exhibited on the show. And in that way the writers are going about things in the perfect manner...

Changing the subject, I love the following two screen captures from this episode. Talk about a study in contrasts!  :D

Julia supremely confident her hypnosis techniques will save the day:

Then disheartened when she fails:

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:37:29 AM »
I spent a large portion of today's episode looking at Julia's wig, trying to figure out if it look weirder that usual, or if it was just that I hadn't seen it in a while.  Or maybe it got mishandled when somebody else wore it for David's dream on Friday?
That's a wig?  Gee, it looks so real! [winkg]
I believe the most likely cause is that David's own intuitive powers brought about the dream. His experience in the mausoleum coupled with Barnabas' overreaction to it have caused David's unconscious mind to stumble upon the truth that Barnabas is indeed one of the undead - and David's pyschic intuition warned him about Julia, though he wasn't sure just who the woman was until the incident with Julia and her medallion actually took place. That scenario seems perfectly in keeping with David's character and the intuitive abilities he's thus far exhibited on the show. And in that way the writers are going about things in the perfect manner...
That makes sense, MB, especially since Sarah later acted like she knew nothing about the dream when David told her about it.  Very astute observation! [ideag]
This was a great episode!  DH did an especially good job today again! [cheer]  I also enjoyed the line about Willie writing his memoirs!  It was a hint of things to come much later. [cheesyg]

The part of the dream which had Julia with her hair over her face seemed very familiar - like something I might have seen on The Twilight Zone!!  So spooky! [shkdg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 03:21:28 AM »
It's true, the dream sequence WAS more effective in black-and-white...all Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with the twisted and distorted geometric backgrounds.

David is astonishingly good in these episodes..so natural and unaffected as he portrays a boy teetering between terror and curiosity.

I like how the writers found a way to keep David from falling under the spell of Julia's hypnosis and I love the final shot of Julia at the end when David is calling for Miss Winters so he can tell her about the crazy "historian" who tried to perform some hocus pocus on an innocent little boy.  Julia looks genuinely worried that she may have finally found herself in a situation she may not be able to talk herself out of.

Great stuff.