Author Topic: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today  (Read 5087 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2002, 07:21:36 PM »
Makes you wonder if you were picking up something subconsciously, doesn't it?

Yes it really does make you wonder!
Did you find yourself having dreams after the disaster?  I did - more than once.  Weird dreams about being in the hotel during the aftermath and certain sections being partitioned off with curtains 'cause behind the curtains was rubble.

As you can see, my sister tends to get more accurate vibes than I do - at least while awake.  I tend to dream things. During our entire stay at the fest I didn't have one single night that wasn't filled with very fitfull sleep and strange dreams.  I blame that at least partly on my own physical health at the time which I didn't realize was pretty bad.  Then, after the attacks, like you, I kept having dreams of being in the hotel.  Once I was trapped behind some fallen beams in the beauty shop that wasn't far from the ballroom where the fest was held. It was so real. I didn't watch a huge amount of the coverage yesterday but did manage to catch part of the video made by the two brothers from France.  That brought back the wild dreams again last night. In this one I kept trying to keep track of a video camera and keep dust off the lense.  Weird.

Thanks for posting that on the hotel Connie and thanks to everyone for posting.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2002, 07:35:01 PM »
Probably like everyone here who'd been to WTC, the sense of loss to me was very personal. The fact that I'd spent time there and really enjoyed it made it a lot more than a tragic event that happened "somewhere else." I think about the places around there that Peg and I ate and shopped that are no longer there. I remember the hotel and Tall Ships, the bar/grill there, and the restaurant on the 101st floor (where I drank the most expensive gin and tonics I've ever had) with more clarity than just about anywhere else I've ever spent time. I think knowing the layout and the details of the buildings makes it easy to visualize what the people there were seeing and what it felt like; I often think about -- had it happened while I was there -- what I would have done, where I would have gone. Would I have simply hauled out of there in the grip of fear, or would I have kept my wits and tried to help others? More than anything I think about my wife, who suffers from fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis and isn't very mobile even at the best of times. She could not have evacuated any place very quickly. All my contemplation tells me that the first and only thing I would have done was to try to get her to safety, no matter what happened.

--Mark

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2002, 07:51:24 PM »
I had occasion to visit New York a few short weeks after the horrific events of September 11. A friend of mine who works in the news division of one of the networks took me down there on a Sunday afternoon.

As expected, the streets surrounding the tragic site were filled with people who came to pay their respects, and, in many cases, to try to understand it all.

My friend got us beyond the fences and police barriers and we watched as city crews and volunteers helped clear away the rubble.

Of course, we all saw the images on television, but I didn't realize just how deeply it would affect me--being on the site of this country's greatest tragedy of modern times. All I could think of is the terror those people on the planes and inside the World Trade Center must have been feelings and I prayed for their souls.

When we left, I was uncharacteristically quiet for a long time; finally my friend asked if I was okay. I told him that I was just stunned by it all, and by the fact that this could happen to our citizenry on our very shores.

A year later, it is still unfathomable that this could actually occur. As times passes--even more than for the victims of that fateful day--my heart goes out to those family and friends left behind in the wake of this senseless attack.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2002, 02:22:37 AM »
The 843-room hotel was battered by the collapse of the north tower, then crushed to rubble under the cascading 110-story mass of the south tower.

Two employees and 20 of the 940 registered guests are missing.
Only parts of the Marriott's final hours can be pieced together.
'Like a Movie Set'
Andrew Ward, a reporter for Bloomberg who was staying in a 17th-floor room, heard the first explosion about 8:47 a.m.
One look at Tower 1, barely 100 yards away, told him he needed to run.
"It looked like a movie set, a giant hole where some floors used to be," he wrote.
He left without wallet, keys, computer, luggage or shoes. He banged on doors, telling other guests to ignore the emergency warning system, which "kept telling us to stay in our rooms."

That is quite interesting... My room for the DS Festival was on the 17th floor-Room #1709. I still have the key jacket, which depicts the Marriott Hotel shadowed by the Twin Towers- no doubt a collector's item.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2002, 03:24:16 AM »
My room for the DS Festival was on the 17th floor

Mine was on the 14th floor, also stayed on the top floor with a friend. I think there were 22 floors. When I was flying to New York for the Dark Shadows Festival, I had one of those thoughts like, what if there is a bombing? I just dismissed it. I always figured it would happen again, just not when it did, and not as severe. Everybody was caught off guard. Everything was so peaceful when we were there for the Festival.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2002, 03:55:54 AM »
Mine was on the 14th floor, also stayed on the top floor with a friend. I think there were 22 floors. When I was flying to New York for the Dark Shadows Festival, I had one of those thoughts like, what if there is a bombing? I just dismissed it. I always figured it would happen again, just not when it did, and not as severe. Everybody was caught off guard. Everything was so peaceful when we were there for the Festival.

I believe we were on the 18th floor. Looking at the hotel's west face, it was the first room to the left of where the building angled slightly, which put the corner of the north tower in view of our window when we looked to the right.

You know, when Peg and I took the elevator up to the 101st floor of the north tower, when it got around the 80th floor, it began unmercifully shaking and shimmying, so much so that we were downright nervous. At the restaurant upstairs, we mentioned it to someone on the staff, and they told us that it was because the rails were slightly misaligned from the 1993 explosion. Whether this was true or they were just bullshitting us to give us a thrill, I dunno, but it sounded plausible at the time. Still does. Regardless, I was not particularly comfortable being so roughly shaken 80 floors above the ground.

I can't imagine how horrifying it must have been for people trapped in those elevators. I think I might've just croaked on the spot.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2002, 04:49:08 AM »
I vividly remember the spiral stairway in the Marriott Hotel that lead from the Lobby to the Mezzanine. Probably because I used it several times on Saturday night in conjunction with the Costume Gala.

The other area of the Hotel, (besides Festival areas) that I recall is the Fitness Center on the 21st Floor. Early (about 5:30 AM) every morning, I would use the treadmill, which faced widows looking out over the water. You could see the Statue of Liberty in the distance - a beautiful way to start out the day.

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2002, 05:17:04 AM »
Like many have said, it all seems like it happened just yesterday, yet at the same time, so long ago. Interesting bits of irony some have been mentioned.
Around, 7:25 in the morning, on Sept. 11th, my dad was taking my friend and I to school, like usual and I remember so well my dad saying, "Such a pretty blue sky today." And you could see two airplane trails in the sky, which he said looked so nice against the rising sun. I agreed, never guessing what was to happen that day.
I had never heard much about the WTC Towers until that day. I didn't even know about them being attacked until over an hour later because we were watching a video in Biology about bacteria and we never knew. I remember walking into our Choir room and seeing the t.v. on, with everyone gathered around it, and I knew something serious was happening because we ALWAYS practice in Choir. From then on, everything changed. Teachers were crying, students dazed, and in all our classes we were glued to the t.v.'s.
The ceremony yesterday was beautiful(I got to watch it in Study Hall). The terrorists tried to tear our country apart, but instead they brought us together.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2002, 05:34:59 AM »
I only have a moment to post, but I was thinking of you, Castlebee, and everyone else I met at the Festival in New York in 2001, over the past few days.

My heart felt so heavy all day yesterday, I couldn't even bring myself to do something so "frivolous" as watch DS or check the message board ... until late at night, I finally had to take my mind off the events of 9-11 and capitulated to watching the day's DS eps.

I remember Ben remarking to me about the security levels at the Marriott.  I didn't think much about it as they had the same type of security where I had been working for the previous couple of years ...

I remember the wonderful, friendly staff at the Marriott and the security guards at the two towers ...

Can't believe it's really gone, and some of the people we saw are probably dead.

Now that the first anniversary is over, it seems like a milestone, and we know that time heals.

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2002, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm thought i read that all the Marriott staff and quests were later accounted for but could be wrong.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2002, 09:40:20 AM »
You know, when Peg and I took the elevator up to the 101st floor of the north tower, when it got around the 80th floor, it began unmercifully shaking and shimmying, so much so that we were downright nervous. At the restaurant upstairs, we mentioned it to someone on the staff, and they told us that it was because the rails were slightly misaligned from the 1993 explosion. Whether this was true or they were just bullshitting us to give us a thrill, I dunno, but it sounded plausible at the time. Still does. Regardless, I was not particularly comfortable being so roughly shaken 80 floors above the ground

Right after the tragedy they had a news show on featuring some of the architectures and building crew who helped both build & design the Twin Towers. According to these men they said that once you got past the 80th floor it was a normal occurance for the building to sway slightly from side to side, especially during heavy winds and the higher up you were, the more you felt it.

And if enough hasn't happened here already, yesterday (9-11) a man was killed by falling debris near 58th St. that was caused by very strong winds that we haven't experienced here in a long time.  A tree around the corner from my house was lying across the whole road on account of the wind. The whole day was nothing but wind.  Then today was as calm as they come.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2002, 05:31:06 PM »
When I was back in college, I worked summers at the WTC for the Port Authority of NY and NJ, the agency that runs the airports, tunnels and most of the bridges in the NY/NJ area.  I remember looking down onto Church Street from the eigthieth floor of the north tower (the pedestrians looking like ants far below).  What a view!

I thought that if a really bad fire occurred in the buildings, it would probably resemble a scene from Irwin Allen's disaster film, "The Towering Inferno."  Who would have ever thought that terrorists would crash two hijacked jetliners into the towers?  (Well, maybe Tom Clancy envisioned a similar scenario.)

I worked in the Merrill Lynch building, on Church Street directly across the street from the WTC, for five years.  You could run into the Brooks Brothers store on the first floor of the building to do some last minute Christmas shopping.  Down on Church Street, across from Trinity Church, is the Stapleton Shoe Company, a great men's shoe store that has been there for years.

I was fortunate to meet many out-of-town Dark Shadows fans at the 1999 festival at the WTC.  When they asked what to see in downtown Manhattan, I recommended that they check out the great J & R Music World, arguably the finest record store/stereo equipment dealer, over on Park Row across from city hall.  You could also spend a great deal of time at the Strand Book Store on Fulton Street as you made your way over to the old Fulton Fish Market, enroute to all of the shops and restaurants at the South Street Seaport over on the east side of the financial district.  There were a number of terrific Friday night rock concerts at the seaport, where thousands of financial workers would unwind and get loaded at the end of the work week.

As I watched the twin towers collapse from across the Hudson River on 9/11, I heard a reporter on WINS radio announce that the Merrill Lynch building might topple down after the WTC across the street.  (Thankfully, the building, like the Millennium Hotel next door, was spared.)  I later learned from a friend on the police force, that the firemen had used the Brooks Brothers store as a makeshift morgue that day.

As a college student and, later, as an adult in the so-called "real world," I always enjoyed the financial district.  People may not know, that with so many corporations and law firms downtown, there are literally hundreds of computer professionals and attorneys working round the clock.  (One of my friends at a large firm on Water Street, used to joke about the undersized "sleeping rooms" that were maintained to allow harried attorneys to get some much-needed sleep during some hectic and prolonged litigation.)

I particularly enjoyed stolling through Battery Park with my "significant other," on a quiet Sunday afternoon in the city, before an early evening dinner at the seaport.  Yet, today, I don't believe that I could ever enjoy frequenting some of those wonderful downtown locations again.  It would seem almost sacrilegious to enjoy oneself, knowing what transpired on 9/11, a very  sad and tragic day in our nation's history.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2002, 11:40:01 PM »
a man was killed by falling debris near 58th St. that was caused by very strong winds that we haven't experienced here in a long time.

How terrible! We get high winds here too. I remember not long after I moved to Las Vegas, someone got killed when the wind blew down a sign from The Hilton. At the hotel, they were replacing the sign, reconstructing it or whatever, and they had this sign just hanging there for several months. It finally came down and killed somebody. I myself even walked underneath it when I was pregnant!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2002, 02:25:31 AM »
I remember the wonderful, friendly staff at the Marriott and the security guards at the two towers ...

To give you an idea of how extraordinary the Marriott Staff was just listen to something they did for me.  The Festival was being held on the weekend prior to my birthday. During a conversation with a member of the Loss Prevention Depatment who was fixing the safe in my room, I jokingly mentioned that Monday was that special day and I should stay longer to celebrate.  When I returned to my room after breakfest the morning of my B-day and day of departure, a huge gift basket was sitting on the table with a card. I will never forget the kindness...

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2002, 04:46:18 AM »
To give you an idea of how extraordinary the Marriott Staff was just listen to something they did for me.  The Festival was being held on the weekend prior to my birthday. During a conversation with a member of the Loss Prevention Depatment who was fixing the safe in my room, I jokingly mentioned that Monday was that special day and I should stay longer to celebrate.  When I returned to my room after breakfest the morning of my B-day and day of departure, a huge gift basket was sitting on the table with a card. I will never forget the kindness...

That is quite a nice deal. I had very pleasant experiences with the hotel staff as well; in general, they seemed quite the opposite of then-stereotypical cranky New Yorkers (which I sometimes ran into on previous trips there).

Almost ironically, on the last day of the '99 fest, we had already checked out of our room, but I still had some functions left to attend; I asked the bell captain if I could leave my bag with them for several hours, and he replied that they'd hold it for me as long as I wanted. I was certainly gratified, but my first thought was, if I wanted to blow something up, what a perfectly easy and innocuous way to plant a bomb on the premises. Certainly incapable of doing such severe damage as even the car bomb in '93, but if--at the time--I were asked to predict another disaster at WTC, I would've certainly said something along that line as opposed to what really happened.

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]