Author Topic: Spotted two DS alumni on TV today  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Spotted two DS alumni on TV today
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
To Jeannie--

I have the Honey West set, and the show in my not-so-humble opinion is fabulous!  It's very different from the Avengers and it seems a shame that it got bumped off ABC's schedule because they could only allow one strong female foe of crime on the box back in the day.

I don't recall any DS actors appearing on Honey West offhand, but 16 magazine "fave rave" Bobby Sherman appears as a wayward teen rockstar.  This was before Sherman had actually hit it big with the boppers.

Happy viewing!

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:35:47 AM »
Honey West is another show I would like to see.  If I am not mistaken Aaron Spelling produced it.  However, he said America wasn't ready for a female detective series until CA changed that!!  I need to get it if it's on DVD! :) 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:46:04 AM »
Sandor says 2 thumbs up for Honey West. Anne Francis (Honey) was also the tortured young woman amongst the department store mannequins in that classic Twilight Zone episode ("Marsha! Marsha!"), so she radiates the same kind of B-movie dementia that our DS stars so often do.

And speaking of them, caught both Lara Parker and John Karlen in back-to-back Kojak episodes recently (the DVD is out). Karlen was especially good as a junkie, and Lara was nice in her scenes with Telly Savalas. Enjoyed Kate Jackson on Charlie's Angels, and even The Rookies, but never cared much for her as Daphne on DS. Probably because I was loyal to KLS and Alexandra Moltke as the resident dark-haired ingenues.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:34 AM »
I don't recall any DS actors appearing on Honey West offhand, but 16 magazine "fave rave" Bobby Sherman appears as a wayward teen rockstar.  This was before Sherman had actually hit it big with the boppers.

Thanks for the reassurance on Honey West, Gothick and Sandor.  I only have vague memories of the show (do remember having the doll -- excuse me, action figure  [ghost_wink]).  Found all the books remaindered when back in Jr High or HS, and enjoyed them (there're here in the house SOMEWHERE).

LOL on Bobby Sherman (who seemed to alternate with the DS Hunks on 16, as I remember it) guesting on the show way back when.  Never was much into him in those days.

Finding early stuff by actors is always a hoot. I'm very glad that in the first frantic webcrawl that came when I first rediscovered DS a few years ago, I ran into MsC.'s DS Alumni site.  Wonderful resource -- saved a LOT of the work it took, pre internet, to find early obscure guest star roles by the Trek actors, for example. (Blessings on the archivists at the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts, whose collection was one of the better, though time consuming, methods of finding such things in those dim, dark pre-internet days.  [clap2] [9050] [9050] )

Speaking of which, I got a bug in my head this past weekend and was watching Classic Trek.  Is it just me, or does William Campbell (Squire of Gothos) bear a more than passing resemblance to Dennis Patrick?

Oh and for anyone who wants "before they were famous" amusement, check out the episode of the Partridge Family where Laurie's date has a crush on her mom.  Said date is played by Harrison Ford.  There's also his ep of Ironside, done in 1966, where he looks all of 14.  [ghost_wink]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
THAYER DAVID is also in the original ROCKY movie, THE EIGER SANCTION, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. some other tv roles include WILD WILD WEST and the pilot for NERO WOLF and im sure there are many others.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
Thayer David is in the first episode of the campy late 70's Spiderman TV show... He plays the evil scientist who uses subliminal mind control to force unsuspecting victims to carry out his evil deeds... Including Peter Parker!! He's really great and menacing in that. Just the sound of his voice is enough to scare the bajeebez out of you! Don't think its out on DVD yet. I have an old worn out VHS copy I pulled out for my kids... I think they were a bit underwhelmed by THIS spiderman since they are used to the big budget movies of today. On a campy level its really great, especially if you watched it as a kid as I did.

RQ.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
I saw Roger Davis in The Twillight Zone last night! :) 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »
Hi T...  At the end of an Addams Family tape today, I found the beginning of a Dan Curtis late 70s film with Oliver Reed and music by Robert Cobert, Burnt Offerings, taped accidentally.   There was just enough there to make me tear my hair out a little.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:21 AM »
I saw Kathy Cody recently on Gunsmoke. She looked great! I think she made several apperances on it!