Author Topic: Meet the producers  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Meet the producers
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:34:35 PM »
Here's a link to an interesting article from the U-San Bernardino County Sun about TV Land's docu-series, "TV Land Moguls," that in part questions why such innovative producers as John Wells and Dan Curtis aren't included.

I have to confess that I've never watched a thing on TV Land, so I have no idea what shows their lineup consists of. But here's an uniformed and potentially wrong theory - maybe Wells and DC aren't included in the docu-series because none of their shows have ever been run on TV Land. The series is entitled "TV Land Moguls," after all.

Just a thought...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Meet the producers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:15:07 AM »
I can't get the article to load, so I can't comment on the content.

I do, however, watch TVLand with relative frequency. For the most part their line up tends to be heavy with sitcoms (Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, Bewitched. Past shows have included things like WKRP, Barney Miller, Soap, Family Affair, Mary Tyler Moore, etc.) and the occasional drama (Marcus Welby, MD, Love Boat) or western or whatever.

Not familiar with Wells' oeuvre, but I do know nothing of DC's has been on TVLand.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 03:20:58 AM »
I can't get the article to load, so I can't comment on the content.

Doesn't work for me either...but I've had computer problems for days so I assumed it was just me..... :-
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 03:26:49 AM »
Hmmm...

It's odd that people are having problems. But I've only tested it in Netscape and it works fine. Maybe it's an IE thing? Though I can't imagine what IE might have to do with it. And it's not like the site is subscription only.

I suppose I should probably log out of Linux and bring up Windows to check this out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:38:22 AM »
The link works in Windows in IE and Netscape. Strange. And I mean Twilight Zone STRANGE...

What exactly are you people who can't access the article seeing/receiving?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 03:40:29 AM »
A blank white page.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 03:52:37 AM »
I can get it fine too.  Have you tried it recently, Rainey?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 03:56:25 AM »
Does it say "done" down in the bottom left corner of IE's status bar - or doesn't it say anything there?

With IE, when it goes to the site it shows a blank white page and says "done" - but after a few seconds it starts to download the various parts of the page, switching between showing the word "done" and the URL of whatever piece it downloads next.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 04:04:13 AM »
It says "done".....

I have let it sit for a bit....just tried it again a few minutes ago....but I'll try it again now, and wait longer.

Of course, it could always still BE a problem specific to my computer....

be back in a minute.....
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 04:14:27 AM »
Okay....I waited 4 full minutes by the computer clock...it never changed from a blank white screen with "Done" unmoving at the bottom. [idontknow]
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 04:18:51 AM »
I wish I had a solution, but I have no idea what the problem could be...

If the people having a problem accessing the page can't get to it by the end of tomorrow, I'll post the paragraph that mentions Wells and DC.  :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 08:39:45 AM »
It came up for me rather promptly in Netscape 7.1.  I decided to try it in IE and it worked for a long time (with the Forum screen still showing) before it finally went to the white page.

It asked about cookies and Active X scripts, which I didn't allow, and then nothing happened.  I thought perhaps it needed the Active X, so I tried a second time.  I still said no to the cookies (I had done that on Netscape without any problem), but I allowed the Active X.  It still didn't work.  It finally ended with the white page and the word "done" at the bottom.
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
It came up fine with me, and I have a crappy computer, used AOHell, and my IE is shot.  Maybe it is a problem at the source of the link that goes on and off.

Anyway, I read the article and a rather good one it is, the author wondering why several producers, including Dan Curtis, were not mentioned.  At first it seemed that the TV Land documentary took into consideration only those involved with shows the networks now airs or has aired, and while that appears to be true in most cases, it is not in all.  There are a couple names bantered about who did shows that have not appeared on the cable channel, while other producers with shows currently running on TV Land (such as Gunsmoke) receive no mention either.  I imagine one cannot second-guess the fickleness of those who decide these things.

By the way, I'm glad that "Green Acres" is once again airing on TV Land.......call it a wicked indulgence on my part - I've always loved that show.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 01:29:16 AM »
I haven't gotten to read the article yet, but I've mentioned in the past and will again say that I think TV Land would be an appropriate venue to rerun the original Dark Shadows.  Although their lineup is heavy with sitcoms, many if not most of the shows -- Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, The Dick Van Dyke Show,  The Beverly Hillbillies -- are the shows that were on TV along with DS during the original airing, and which many of us fondly remember as part of our childhoods.  To me it always seemed a better fit than SoapNet.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995