Author Topic: OT: VCR's??  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: VCR's??
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:02:29 AM »
My first VCR was 1000K!

Wow - in what year did your father buy that VCR? Or was it that your family wanted one so badly that you didn't wait for sale?

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 02:13:47 AM »
On that note I will also say that videotapes were MUCH better back in the early 80's. Much more oxide and thicker tape. I have stuff I taped 28 years ago that still plays like it did then but blank tapes from the 90's were crap. Then you'd spend an extra 5 bucks on those Gold Maxell tapes that were at least passable. Price goes up and quality goes down. Its the way of things! Unfortunately.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 02:29:09 AM »
Well, not all the tapes from the '90s were crap. The ones I used to tape DS on the Sci-Fi Channel have held up quite nicely. They still look as bright and crisp as when I first made them between '95 and '97. Though I will concede that that's most probably because I bought all extra high grade tapes for DS (and I'll also concede that the tapes I made in the '80s when DS was in local syndication are probably even better). Any standard tapes that I'd used back then have long since been thrown out. But then, I haven't recorded anything with a VCR in I don't know how long...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:28 AM »
My father had a great job and he wanted one when they first came out so he got one! It had to be around 1983 because I still have the tape I tapped "SHE BOP"  by Cyndi Lauper when it premiered on MTV.  It's interesting that this has turned into a topic about VCR's...it's cool!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
no one answered magnus question. "the dvds are edited?" some of the dvds have bloopers edited out. most notable was the BATHIA MAPES blooper where someone off camera is heard yelling out her lines. in the dvd release that audio has been removed.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
I didn't know he was referring to the series or I missed something!   [ghost_wacko]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »
Thanks Joe.  Unfortunately, that's an excellent reason to hold on to VHS forever... unfortunate since old VHS is really all I'm liable to get my hands on.   Oh well, I have most of DS.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 05:14:01 AM »
A bit off topic but not completely. Magnus do you have all of the show through the end so you can continue the WP???  I sure hope so as I love your posts.  Yeah it sucks that they edited that famous blooper but thankfully its on the Bloopers DVD and they quit editing them out.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »
That is a travesty if they have edited some episodes... What about the message that comes up on some DVD volumes saying that the episodes containing technical problems have NOT been edited. I guess I'll have to rely on the blooper compilation from now on. My life is forever changed now. I have been living a lie.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »
RQ that was an accident from what I gather from the technician who worked on that volume.  If I am wrong anyone correct me....were there any other bloopers edited out?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 05:31:57 AM »
Taeylor, I do have the rest of DS to the end.   I'm missing most of 1966-7 pre-Barnabas, and a bit of 1897 with zombie Q and the arrival of Laura.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:37 AM »
There are topics on the various Current Talk boards that discuss what has been edited out of the DVDs.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:25 AM »
Okay thanks MB for the heads up. We will get our information from there and back on the VCR topic.   I wish they were made like they were in the past.  Luckily my friend is sending me a SHARP that is about 5 years old and only used for a few months complete with remote.  I thank everyone for their suggestions!