Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0345  (Read 1093 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0345
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0345
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:20:14 AM »
This is the most Awsome show.  It was really strange that the last show was in black and  white and really spooky( As Jonathan would say). The next show then in color.  Then there waas a great change to come. The downed plane with Burke.

This was a perfect set up for Barnabas to be the Knight in Shinning Armour. He was basicly doing this for his own purposed. He would all but love if Burke didn't come back.  I guess that they didn't decide about the 1795 coming up.

I bet Julia wanted to push Barnabas off Widows Hill, when he told her to go back to the house once  Vicki showed up.  >:(
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 03:14:18 AM »
It was touching, watching Barnabas confide in Julia about his love for Josette....for that brief moment he opened up to her, he let her in, for that rarest of moments up to that point they become close....then Vicki shows up and the moment is ruined. He returns to his usual, chilly attitudes towards Julia, closes himself up again and basically tells her to take a hike so he can hit on Vicki. Poor Julia, why she didn't just up and leave Collinwood and leave Barnabas in the lurch right then and there, I'll never know.

SPOILER ALERT:

As for Burke, well you have to say Barnabas did get his wish in that instance.....the question is did Burke really truly die? I always thought he did, though others have speculated he somehow survived. I wouldn't rule it out, but since he never returned (and with Vicki eventually leaving and the show eventually cancelled in a few years time) I guess he really was one of the very few on Dark Shadows who actually STAYED dead.

Great episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:20:49 AM »
This is an episode to treasure.  Dark Shadows wouldn't be nearly as much fun if it all made perfect sense, and today was the day that Barnabas told the Josette story that we did not see in 1795.  Thank heaven Dan Curtis and the writers thought the episodes would never see the light of day again so that they could throw this story out the window!

This is not to say that I dislike the story that was told today.  It couldn't have been acted out, because it took place over years instead of months - but it's a good story, and it deserves fan fiction treatment.

On another subject...boy oh boy did Barnabas ever behave like a cheap insufferable pig to Julia today!  And not just in the end, but at the Old House as well.  lori54 is right: Julia definitely should have given him a shove off of Widows Hill.

So Liz keeps little pink pills by her bed?  Very interesting.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »
I wonder if Barnabas could have been tricked into going to Widow's Hill, and pushed off.    Would that have gotten rid of him?     No, he just flies away or disappears back into his comfortable chair in the Old House.  Never mind.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »
as much as i love the show it doesn't often have me reaching for the hanky however...

the scene here where vicki is going on about how happy she is about liz offering her and burke the west wing as a place to live with liz and mrs.johnson knowing that burke's plane had crashed did get me to tear up a bit.

there is a nice line from mrs.johnson about ships that go out on cloudy nights as doing the "widows dance".it's loaded with alot of symbolism...you know,liz,mrs.johnson and now vicki as symbolic "widows"...some of which will later prove to be untrue but it made for a powerfull scene here.

again all the pity for julia here leaves me ice-cold.true barnabas never did return her feelings but considering the horrible fates that most of the other characters on the show endured the nonstop pity-party for dr. hoffman always leaves me somewhat stupified.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:03:59 PM »
We learned an interesting bit about Mrs. Johnson's family today, that she has a sister who also lost a husband. Too bad we never got to know much more about her family, accept for her son.

I wonder what sound is being made to simulate the widows' wail?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:31:39 AM »
SPOILER ALERT:

As for Burke, well you have to say Barnabas did get his wish in that instance.....the question is did Burke really truly die? I always thought he did, though others have speculated he somehow survived. I wouldn't rule it out, but since he never returned (and with Vicki eventually leaving and the show eventually cancelled in a few years time) I guess he really was one of the very few on Dark Shadows who actually STAYED dead.
I believe I heard somewhere that they originally intended for Burke to come back after the 1795 storyline ended. However, Anthony George decided not to stay, so that story was abandoned.

END SPOILER ALERT

Barnabas again treated Julia horribly in this episode. He essentially told her to get lost so he could console Vicki. I felt sorry for Vicki - and I could relate to her. I probably would have felt like jumping off Widow's Hill, too! [shkdg] That sure is a spooky sound - the wailing widows in the wind. I wonder how they created that sound, too. [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]