Author Topic: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!  (Read 8493 times)

David

Re: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

I'll be at the Castro with board member Joe Integlia & a few local fans.
None of us will be in costume, but Joe & I will be wearing our DS T shirts proudly!

Wed. is welcome to hang with us!

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
WELCOME WED.  I hope you guys have fun at this event.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Wednesday

• View Profile
    • Wednesday's Korner
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »
I read on the Shock It To Me Myspace blog that Ticketweb should start selling tickets next week!

Offline Wednesday

• View Profile
    • Wednesday's Korner
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 04:47:34 AM »
link to ticketweb for tickets to the double feature at the Castro: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=343514

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
Only two days to go (only 1, if you're attending day one which is Spider Baby and Night of the Living Dead, both unmissable) until the event.

It should be a great time.  My presentation and my HODS print are all prepped, and it's a great schedule.

On Saturday the doors open at 545 for the evening events (there are earlier afternoon screenings) with NODS on at 6:30, my presentation at 8:30, KLS and Lara interviewed by John Stanley at 8:50, with HODS in beautiful IB Technicolor at 9:30.

I look forward to sharing some fun material with the SF crowd.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
Best of luck Darren. Wish I could go. I certainly hope they have provided you with all the time you need for your presentation and the scheduled time seems very good.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
Hi Darren, it all sounds tremendously exciting; wish I could be there!

Can you tell us more about the hoDS print you'll be screening?  It sounds fabulous!

Best luck,

Steve

David

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
 [candle_in_skull_2]
 [hall2_grin]
[hall2_smiley]

Joe Integlia is driving here today from LA.
He & I, and three local fans who don't post at boards, will be there with bells on!

At last, a DS event I can walk to from home!
YOWSA!

David

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 09:38:41 PM »
Just came across this article and it also mentions the new DS movie.

http://www.ktvu.com/events/17740388/detail.html

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
HELLO TO ON THE DS BOARDS. I AM NEW TO THE SITE. MM#7. was curious to know how the screenings if House and NIGHT went in San Francisco went. Any news on the up and comings DVDS on them. Thankyou.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »
Welcome to the Boards, MM#7.  I am also looking forward to hearing news of the screenings.  I'm sure it was a wonderful evening for everyone.

Please do feel free to express your thoughts about our favorite show and related projects here.  We have threads going on the original 1966-71 series, are currently cycling through episodes of the 1991 series on a one-episode-per-week schedule, and have had several discussions of the films as well.

Best wishes,

Gothick

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
i am here at davids and leaving to head back to hollywood soon. im sure david will post a lengthy report.  i sat thru 4 movies, horror of dracula, curse of frankenstein, n..o.d.s+ h.o.d.s. darren was able to show his n.o.d.s. presentation without the technical problems he had at the festival. it was very enjoyable. the thetre got a great turnout for all the movies shown that day. lara+katryn were on hand for the entire day, signing autogaphs upstairs and later apeaed on stage with horror host john stanley. john confessed earlier in private to david+i that he didnt know much about d.s. he was doing  fine job interviewing untill he made the mistake of stating that lara+kathryn were in both d.s. films but he was jokingly corrected. i got some pictures+video and will post asap. 

David

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
 [hall2_smiley]
 [candle_in_skull_2]

It was a GREAT day.
I saw Horror of Dracula (terrific print) then had to leave to feed some cats (I have a pet sitting service)

At 5:30, Joe & I had dinner at the Cove Cafe across the street from the theatre and watched the crowd line up.
We went in around 6:10.

John Stanley, who interviewed the ladies,  was a TV horror host on KTVU TV in the 80s: he continues to review films for the SF Chronicle.
I run into him at press screenings all the time, (I write for the gay press in SF, Sacramento  & San Jose) so he & I chatted.
Joe & I sported DS T shirts purchased from MPI, and I had a DS baseball cap on.
Kathryn saw me & said that I was making quite a fashion statement!
"What the well dressed geek will wear," I said with a laugh.

I'd say that around 800-900 people showed up for the DS movies.
I met a lifelong local fan who brought her grandkids!!

The NODS print was terrific.
And let's face it, it's a beautifully shot, atmospheric film.
Even with the cuts, it's a creepy little story.
I think NODS gets a bum rap it does not deserve.

Darren Gross' presentation was wonderful. Joe & I moved to the front row for him & for the actress Q & A.
One of the newly dubbed dialogue scenes was shown with full sound.
In the scene, set in 1810, Angelique plays Quentin's Theme on a piano, while he kisses her. Laura comes in & accuses Angelique of witchcraft.

They also showed a silent scene of Tracy which Gross provied the dialogue for. This scene gives the Tracy character far more depth.
The spooky as hell seance scene from the film, with Angelique's face hovering above, was also shown.

Gross said that Warners was again getting interested in the restoration due to the upcoming Depp/Burton movie!!!

The Kathryn/Lara interview lasted about 40 mins and was quite lively. About half of what they said was familiar.

The HODS print was OK, but hardly the technicolor wonder it was made out to be.

The audience was clearly "into it", and had a great time.
It was great to see HODS & NODS in such a huge, single screen movie palace, and the turnout proves that DS still has a big, big following.

A great, great night!

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 07:48:52 PM »
Thank you for the reports, David and Joe!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
What a wonderful evening.  Even if not a technicolor wonder, being able to see hoDS in a film print as opposed to a projected DVD or other formatted disc must have been a wonderful experience.

I never saw NoDS in the theatre (we were out of town the one week it played in my local cinema--I remember well the poster showing up and how excited I was), and I'll admit I actually contemplated coming to SF for these screenings.

I remember the scene David describes with Angelique and Charles at the pf. and Laura coming in.   That is marvelous that the soundtrack has been fully restored!  A wonderful coup for Darren!

My personal guess is that it will be three to five years before Depp Shadows is completed and released (more likely to be five years, I would guess, given the schedules of Depp and Burton), and it will be a shame if we have to wait that long for Warners to release the 1970s feature films on disc.  But you know how the suits are.

G.