Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1236  (Read 1017 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1236
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1236
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:21:46 AM »
Prentice with webs on face, trying not to sneeze no doubt.   I like Julia's sympathy for the two spirits; people don't sympathize with spirits enough.   C Pennock good, with Catherine begging/threatening for money.   "Nothing became his life more than the leaving of it."   Who wrote this?   I thought Julia would be tougher.   How'd Melanie find Julia and Morgan?   Where was she coming from?

Brutus calls to Gabriel-- who are you? asks Gabriel I believe.   Shouldn't these two have chatted a lot by now, considering he's possessed?    It would be fun if instead of L Edmonds' voice being the ghost of Brutus, it was really a lost ghost of RT Daniel, just to confuse things unnecessarily.   By the way, I've long wondered if there might be spirit-world bleed-through between time bands.   Some beings ought to find that boundary a bit permeable.

"Everything is possible, if we only will it so."  Don't ever fall for that one!   As Melanie says she's going to LIVE for the first time (with Gabriel appearing with his knife a moment later), I decide that characters really need to stop saying things like that.   Tempting fate would be an understatement.  Melanie now joins RT Edith in the Ironic-Last-Words, Oh-Look-There's-Gabriel Club.   Didn't Catherine take away his knife?   One of Brutus's possessed stabbers has now stabbed the other.  This would have been the perfect moment for Melanie to have one of her laughy-stabby attacks...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:40:26 AM »
"Nothing became his life more than the leaving of it."   Who wrote this?
Malcolm in Macbeth, talking about the Thane of Cawdor.

I thought Julia would be tougher.
Me too.  But I guess she's lived with the fear of this Room all her life.  She may well have had childhood nightmares about being dragged into it.  She recovered from it all pretty fast, however, and was able to talk sense to Melanie about Melanie's plan to marry Kendrick.  Not that Melanie listened.  Someday Melanie's going to wake up and find Kendrick stabbed to death beside her.

Didn't Catherine take away his knife?
Yup.  But apparently it went running straight back to Daddy Brutus as soon as she turned her back on it.

Today was the first day that I started to feel that Morgan had fallen in love Catherine not for herself but because Bramwell had loved her.  I don't know, was I being blind?  When we first saw Morgan and Catherine, Bramwell wasn't even mentioned.  He had been away for so long that it didn't seem likely that Morgan was thinking about him.  But now Morgan is so obsessed with Bramwell that it's hard to believe that malice towards Bramwell wasn't simmering away on Morgan's back burner all along.  Of course, if I were to go back and watch those first parallel time 1841 episodes I'm sure I'd think that wasn't the case.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
I thought it was kind of nice that Julia felt sorry for James and Amanda, even though she completely lost it when she thought one of the bodies moved and Brutus locked the Iron Door. And yes, I'm sure everyone in the house has had Locked Room nightmares, probably starting in utero. Julia and Justin's own father--or maybe an uncle--must have had to spend a night in the room. What dreadful lives the Collinses must have lived, knowing that one of their generation would have to go into the room, yet also being obliged to reproduce, knowing that one of their own children would have to make the sacrifice for the next generation to spare the rest of them, or at least enough of them to keep the family business going, and so on and so on....

I've always thought Catherine wakes up screaming right about the time that Julia thinks one of the bodies moved, but maybe that's just my imagination working overtime.

Everyone underestimates Melanie's real strength of character, kindness and unselfishness--I liked her heart-to-heart with Catherine. If Melanie and Kendrick can survive long enough to get married, they should be very happy together. Julia did give her good advice under the circumstances, but I had to cheer when Melanie actually got angry with her!

And I agree that Morgan seems to be one of those people who want something all the more if they think somebody else has more of a hold over it than they do. Bramwell may be a very, very rough diamond indeed, but thinking of Catherine as a possession is not one of his faults. Perhaps in another time and place, the story might have explored the possibility--which only just now occurred to me--that Morgan's real attraction was to Bramwell--? I suppose there's some slash fiction about that somewhere.

More fun with mad Gabriel. But Catherine is a good enough negotiator that she kept him from killing her. Loved the comment about Daddy Brutus's knife.  [ghost_grin]  Too bad he has only one, and that Gabriel has it instead of Melanie. Maybe Brutus has been giving Gabriel mental instructions all along, but with Gabriel actually about to leave the house (and Brutus's sphere of influence?), Brutus probably figured he had to put the fear of-- well, of Brutus--into Gabriel.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
"Nothing became his life more than the leaving of it."   Who wrote this?
Malcolm in Macbeth, talking about the Thane of Cawdor.

Thanks, Lydia.  [spoiler]Was the character's end anything like Gabriel's?[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:31:56 AM »
In answer to your spoilerized question, Magnus: I don't know.  I haven't read Macbeth since high school.  I recognized the quotation as being from Shakespeare (although that may not be the case in parallel time) but I could not have told you which play it was from until I googled it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »
And yes, I'm sure everyone in the house has had Locked Room nightmares, probably starting in utero.
That was inspirational!

Re: Episode #1233