Author Topic: Adam & Carolyn doing the deed?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Adam & Carolyn doing the deed?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:06 AM »
Oh, yeah - I forgot about that incident with Adam. How very odd that Barnabas wasn't physically affected as well because we know for certain that Adam did indeed sustain some injuries - it wasn't as if [spoiler]jumping from Widows' Hill was simply like jumping a few feet for the rest of us.[/spoiler]
Here's my question about that:
[spoiler]When Barnabas was mistakenly buried alive by Julia and Willie, we see Adam holding his hands above his chest in the same position that Barnabas would have his to try to push the coffin open. So, when Adam took that leap, did Barnabas take a pratfall in the middle of whatever he was doing?[/spoiler]  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 04:39:17 AM »
Um, I don't think so - [spoiler]wasn't Barnabas on Widows' Hill at the same time that Adam jumped? He was there trying to save Carolyn, right?[/spoiler]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:19 AM »
Um, I don't think so - [spoiler]wasn't Barnabas on Widows' Hill at the same time that Adam jumped? He was there trying to save Carolyn, right?[/spoiler]
It happened before the 1897 storyline, so I don't remember it too well.  ;)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »
Geez! I've been trying to post to this topic for days but each time I try a computer malfunction screws it all up! And THEN when I just NOW tried to click "reply" that pig mask floated over top of it and I ended up calling Jeb a "cheap, insufferable pig" instead. At least THAT had pleasent results.

Anyway, IMHO, it's more than likely that Adam and Carolyn DID NOT do the deed. Because IIRC Adam still was in stupid-mode at this time, not knowing what was what or how to talk. So it's unlikely that he would've known how to have sex. Or even what it was.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 06:24:55 AM »
I watched this episode -- actually, I should say these episodes -- last night.

[spoiler]Adam has Carolyn locked in the room with him, he throws the key on the floor when she asks for it, and then he grabs her when she tries to get it and holds her by the arms. The two are on their knees and he is forcibly kissing her when the scene cuts away. That's the last image we have the two of them together before the episode ends. The next episode begins with Carolyn walking downstairs to call Prof. Stokes. She's visibly upset, and her hair is messed up. It's a definite hair/wardrobe decision, not some incidental carryover from the previous scene.[/spoiler]

I think it's possible to read the scene either way, though the important point is that Carolyn is now terrified to be alone with Adam because he has forced himself on her (to whatever degree) after being told repeatedly that she isn't interested. Either way, there is a physical violation involved.

Frankly, what disturbs me more after watching it is the extent to which she continues to sympathize with Adam, but I never quite understood that whole situation in the first place.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 06:52:06 AM »
I don't think Adam and Carolyn did the "deed" nor do think think Adam raped her but I think Carolyn feared that if she didn't have him removed from her care, something like that could occur in the future.  It seemed like it could have gone that way but I think if it had, the writers would have written it differently.  Remember in the 1841PT when Bramwell kidnapped Catherine and took her to the Old House? You know without a doubt there was sex involved because they are on the bed, Bramwell is fixing his tie and later she announces she's pregnant with his child.  We never hear or see anything close to that happening to Carolyn.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
I got another question: [spoiler]When Barnabas was bricked up behind the wall by Trask's ghost, he had to be, to put it lightly, mighty uncomfortable, what with strugging for air....how come Adam wasn't doing the same thing? He did when Julia and Willie had buried Barnabas in the woods....was this yet another snafu by the writers?[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »
As for Quentin and the portarait, think of it this way:  if Q had died from being buried alive, he would have been dead, but would have continued to look the same as before.    The portrait would have continued decomposing for him.    He'd be a perfectly preserved corpse.    The portrait doesn't make you immortal.    It makes you unchangeable in terms of how you appear.

Whether Q is alive or dead, the simplest and most straightforward way of making you continue to look the same is to stop deterioration, from age or death.    It can't stop anything from coming along and damaging Q, like a vampire trying to drive a car.   The portrait doesn't repair anything, it just prevents decay.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor