Author Topic: Adam & Carolyn doing the deed?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Adam & Carolyn doing the deed?
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
Re Watching my DS DVD's . My mind had an idea it had never had before In episode 549 the last time we see Carolyn and Adam. Adam will not give Carolyn the key Adam throw it on the floor when she tries to get Adam kisses Carolyn. The next time we see Carolyn she is out of the room and goes to call Professor Stolks in Episode 550. What happens after the kiss is it possible that Carolyn gave in to suppressed emotions for Adam and had sex with him. Which Carolyn regrets soon afterwards or am I reading too much into it.
Dan

IluvBarnabas

Re: Adam & Carolyn doing the deed?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »
Interesting question. I personally don't think Carolyn did the deed with Adam (not willingly anyway) and I hate to think that Adam would rape her. The writers kind of left us in the dark about that....or more likely left it to the viewers themselves to decide what happened after the episode.

I think she just broke away from him eventually and got the heck out of there. Either that or maybe Harry (unintentionally) saved the day by coming in the room at the right moment.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:47:32 PM »
i remember finding that this incident had an extremely disturbing "rape" subtext to it(or at least some type of attempted sexual assault was strongly implied.)

back then a rape storyline would not have been possible but i think something like that is what the writers were trying to get across.

during this plot was the only time in the show's run that i disliked carolyn extremely.i thought she used incredibly poor judgment across the whole storyline.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:02:31 PM »
If I am remembering correctly, was this after he started being influenced by Nicholas, telling him to "take what he wanted"?

Even so, I doubt Adam would have forced Carolyn to do something she didn't want to do, and given how she feels about him (friendship and pity) and knowing he feels much more strongly for her, I doubt Carolyn would have done the deed as that would have made things infinitely more complicated.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »
I agree Nelson. I got the strong impression that Carolyn called Stokes because she felt something had to be done because she feared Adam didn't understand why something sexual couldn't happen between them and she was at a loss to get that through to Adam herself.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »
If I am remembering correctly, was this after he started being influenced by Nicholas, telling him to "take what he wanted"?

Yep.  He proclaimed to her "I am a man" and "Take what I want!"  My feeling is that the writers wouldn't have cut away during that scene had they not wanted to give the implication that he raped her.  And when we next see Carolyn as she descends the stairs to phone Stokes, her hair is disheveled, and while speaking to him she seems very out of sorts.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Yep.  He proclaimed to her "I am a man" and "Take what I want!"  My feeling is that the writers wouldn't have cut away during that scene had they not wanted to give the implication that he raped her.  And when we next see Carolyn as she descends the stairs to phone Stokes, her hair is disheveled, and while speaking to him she seems very out of sorts.
I'm watching this storyline right now, though I have not gotten to this specific episode yet. However, I can sort of see it coming. First, Adam is fascinated with the concept of love via his reading, and Carolyn brushes him off. Then, Nicholas introduces the idea of masculinity as taking what you want, offering Adam an alternate course of action. The stage is set for a rape subtext before the actual scene Midnite describes even takes place.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 10:31:54 PM »
I always thought Adam had raped Carolyn (or at least tried to) from the time I first saw this episode; subsequent viewings only reinforced that opinion.  It was a very shocking scene.

I don't believe Carolyn felt anything but friendship for Adam (definitenly not at this stage, and posibly not ever) and certainly would not have willingly had sex with him.

ProfStokes

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
I always thought Adam had raped Carolyn (or at least tried to) from the time I first saw this episode

I do think there's a very strong possibility that Adam may have tried (especially given the ideas that Nicholas was filling his head with) - but purely going from my memory of how everything played out and my impressions at the times I've watched it all, I don't think he succeeded. In fact, I don't think Adam even got much more than cuddling from Eve. I'd speculate that Adam remained a virgin during his entire time in Collinsport - which might go a long way in explaining why he was so irritable most of the time.  [b003]

Offline JVjr

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:42:31 PM »
I think in the Adam & Eve storyline, not a whole lot made any sense anyway, so i guess you could almost imagine almost anything happening and it probably happened. I really didnt like that part of the show anyway, and to this day, i dont know how Barnabas became a vampire again when as long as Adam lives, Barnabas would be free of the curse.  JVjr

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »
Well, we know that so long as Adam lived, Barnabas was free of Angelique's curse. Who knows if Adam's life actually completely guarded Barn from other forms of attack.  [idontknow]  The thing is nothing in the DS universe seems to be as it appears at first view. For example, Quentin's portrait appeared to make him [spoiler]impervious to physical maladies and attacks and to make him immortal - yet whenever Quentin was buried alive (and lucky, lucky him - that happened to him twice), the show made it a point that there was a very real danger that he would die if he wasn't rescued in time. And until Jeb's curse, with the exception of Ang trying to reinstate her curse, which may have been a special case, nothing was ever allowed to play out long enough with Barn for us to find out for sure one way or the other whether Barn really was guarded from it because of Adam  - though we certainly saw how Adam was affected by Ang's attacks on Barn. And with that in mind, I've always thought that it might have been a very real possibility that when Barn became a vampire under Jeb's curse, Adam did as well. I even began writing but was never able to find the time to finish a fanfic with that very premise as one of its plotlines.[/spoiler]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
 I assume the connection between Barnabas and Adam was severed when Barnabas went back to 1897.  However, that doesn't explain the other inconsistencies with the bond between the two of them.  For example, when Adam [spoiler]took a nosedive off Widows' Hill Barnabas should have felt it as well.[/spoiler]That didn't seem to happen.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:46 AM »
Oh, yeah - I forgot about that incident with Adam. How very odd that Barnabas wasn't physically affected as well because we know for certain that Adam did indeed sustain some injuries - it wasn't as if [spoiler]jumping from Widows' Hill was simply like jumping a few feet for the rest of us.[/spoiler]

You also make an interesting point about 1897. Barnabas' physical body did remain in the I Ching trance for a time, and presumably its connection to Adam remained as well, but [spoiler]then it disappeared to who knows where after Edward disrupted Barn's attempt to return to 1969 - not to return until presumably the Leviathans were somehow able to reunite Barn's 1969 self with his 1969 body and rechain his 1796 body and self in the coffin. So, the disappearance of Barn's 1969 body may have severed the connection with Adam...[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:50:35 AM »
I assume the connection between Barnabas and Adam was severed when Barnabas went back to 1897.
That would turn the Barnabas/Adam/Julia part of Sam Hall's TV Guide article into nonsense - just in case it wasn't nonsense to begin with.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 04:02:23 AM »
Ah, and then there's that - which I'd also completely forgotten about. So, then apparently the writers didn't intend for the connection between Barnabas and Adam to be severed...

Actually, though, the writers had indeed intended for some of the things in the TV Guide article to take place on the show had it continued into present day 1971.