Author Topic: Fest Report / was Re: Time to "sign in".  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
Fest Report / was Re: Time to "sign in".
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:41 AM »
Well, I got here mid afternoon, I have to say that I am not that impressed with the hotel, it really is in the middle of nowhere and you are are kind of stuck here with no car, but still, had a nice time today--reconnected with AngeliqueWins and some of her friends, and got some stuff in the dealer's room, several copies of Jonathan's new DVD and some other goodies...KLS, Lara, Marie, and Jerry Lacy were in the dealer's room doing autographs for awhile--the autographs are in there due to space constraints, and they are kindly willing to sign your program or whatever you have without having to buy the star's books, etc, though I did some of that.  I was warned they might sell out of weekend registrations by tomorrow, so anyone coming tomorrow do that first (I did that for a friend coming in tomorrow who has not been to a Fest in years and is coming mostly since they are a JF fan).  John Karlen and Marie did the first panel, some scenes shown and Q&A, never had seen JK at a Fest, he is looking good--during that panel Jonathan came out for a cameo and got a warm embrace from JK and Marie, okay, of course I am going to say I wish Jonathan had come out during the following panel when Lara, KLS and Jerry Lacey were onstage, but there may still be hope for J and L on stage together during the cast reunion tomorrow, MAYBE).  Then like I said the following panel was Lara, KLS and Jerry Lacey on stage with scenes and Q&A, some interesting scenes like with Trask and Cassandra, and 1795 when Angelique gives Josette the amulet for her wedding dress (good scene).  I had never seen Mr. Lacey at a DS con either, so that was interesting for me, too.  Then after awhile they showed a "surprise" screening of the 2004 pilot, I missed most of it, but since I had never seen it what I saw was interesting, but I can maybe see why it did not sell, though I liked Alec Newman as Barnabas.

There was a lot of talk about the DS reborn CDs, there are new ones out, for those who are interested, and I think the stars have enjoyed doing them, but the only one I have is the audio book of Anqelique's Descent (gee, wonder why?????)

Another things, Lara gave more info about her third DS novel, which includes several plotlines, including a flashback back to the 1920's and Flapper Liz, that might be interesting---she also has a deal to maybe get Angeliques' descent republished by Tor in addition to her third book, so that would be interesting..

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Fest Report / was Re: Time to "sign in".
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
Then after awhile they showed a "surprise" screening of the 2004 pilot, I missed most of it, but since I had never seen it what I saw was interesting, but I can maybe see why it did not sell, though I liked Alec Newman as Barnabas.

You know, I had a really strong suspicion that the '04 pilot was going to be the "surprise." Though considering it had already been shown at the last three consecutive Fests, I don't know how much of a "surprise" it should have been.  [ghost_undecided]  But then, also considering that nothing they had originally planned to hype at the Fest has panned out as of yet (i.e the hoDS/NoDS DVD release and the Depp/DS film), I suppose they needed to try to hype as much of the older stuff as possible...

And as far as the '04 pilot goes, I liked a lot about it, but I particularly liked Newman's Barn.

Thanks for the report, Miranda.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
Thanks for the early report!  [ghost_smiley] I just woke up at 4am with a few hours before I go back to work - I was real thankful to read something posted here already about the fest.  [ghost_happy]

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
Thanks!! I feel like I am there. Keep the reports coming all you lucky people~
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
i'm just leaving the house now...hope to meet some of you there.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline kyreb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
Thanks - it is nice to read about what is happening.  Enjoy!
BJ

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Thanks for the report Miranda.  I hope everyone has a great time. 
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »
Oh, man, Miranda, thank you for the report!  I am going through Fest withdrawal here.  This is the first Fest I've missed since I came back to fandom in '05, but it was to enter a competition last weekend in Cincinnati.  Can't wait to see photos from people.  Good to hear that JK is looking well.  Particularly looking forward to any reports about JF appearances (of course, LOL!).

Thanks again -- Julie   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanks, Miranda, for the report.  Like MB, I pretty much figured on the "surprise" screening being the 2004 pilot.  I'm sorry you missed most of it.  I quite liked Alec Newman's Barnabas and Matt Czuchny (sp?) as Willie.

I love Cassandra, so it's nice that she was included among the clips.  I'm very sorry I'm missing Jerry Lacy!

cheers, G.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
I just heard from Renee and she said the crowd is huge this year.  She also thinks the hotel is ok.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »
Given how the Fest is billed and how it was advertised, it doesn't surprise me that the crowd is huge. But I wonder how many in the crowd will be at least a bit disappointed that one of the main things they were expecting to hear details about hasn't actually moved forward enough for those details to be provided?  [ghost_sad]  But even at that, it's always wonderful to know that there's still such great interest in DS.  [ghost_smiley]  And there's still more than enough going on at the Fest to hold many fans' interest - especially new Fest attendees...

MirandaD

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
I suspected the crowd would be huge after viewing several comments from Depp fans on a Johnny Depp fan site regarding checking out the fest for info on the movie.  Look at how early the banquet sold out - that seems unusual to me, but I only ever go to the West Coast fests.

I think it's wonderful that there is a big crowd.  At least in theory :)   Great for the stars and the organizers, if not so great for the fans!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 01:27:28 AM »
I feels really bad for any Depp fans whose sole purpose in attending this year's Fest was to get detailed news about the DS movie.  [ghost_sad]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 01:33:49 AM »
I feels really bad for any Depp fans whose sole purpose in attending this year's Fest was to get detailed news about the DS movie.  [ghost_sad]

Well, they can be consoled by the fact that all they have to do is tune in to ET for detailed and accurate entertainment information!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:45 AM »
Well, at least those Depp fans will get the opportunity to see the original series and cast and see what all the hub bub is about.  No matter how many versions of Dark Shadows come and go, the original will always be the best and any future generations of Dark Shadows actors/actresses have big shoes to fill~ IMO