Author Topic: Dark Shadows inspired fashions in BUST  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows inspired fashions in BUST
« on: October 19, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
I bought a copy yesterday-- BUST magazine has 8-pages of DS-inspired fashions in their Oct/Nov issue.  Models portray Angelique Bouchard, Victoria Winters and Barnabas Collins, and the stylist must be quite a fan because she provided the latter with an "authentic Dark Shadows ring" from her own collection.  The retro clothes are very cool and range from Target accessories to a gorgeous $700 blue silk organza dress on "Angelique."  The attention to detail (makeup, hair, backdrops, etc.) is fabulous; in one pic, Victoria has a scarf in her hair that's tied in a bow!  But to say that the shoes are a vast improvement over what we saw on the series is an understatement.

If you can't find it at your local Barnes & Noble, Borders, Tower Records or newsstand, try http://www.bust.com (where you can peek at the first 2 pages of the article).  But if I have to see another one of their boob puns... oh, never mind.

(I somehow missed seeing Miss Cleo rap on YouTube, hee hee.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows inspired fashions in BUST
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »
The retro clothes are very cool and range from Target accessories to a gorgeous $700 blue silk organza dress on "Angelique."  The attention to detail (makeup, hair, backdrops, etc.) is fabulous

I saw the issue last night at my local Borders and that photo of "Angelique" on the stairs, wearing the blue dress, and holding the candelabra looks like it could have come right out of an actual DS episode! They've captured the feel of DS perfectly.  [thumb]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »
I have to go to Borders sometime this week to return a book, so I'll look for it and peruse it while I'm there. Thanks for the heads up!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mayfair98

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:36:35 AM »
i just bought a copy.what an unexpected treat.love it!

the photographer and stylist totally knew their shiz.

needless to say "vicki" is in a sleeveless(although the model is a bit chunky).also**spoiler**the stylist totally had to have seen the episode where barnabas bites vicki in her room because she was wearing a chiffon nightgown with puffy sleeves and a bow in her hair(although on the show she was in orange and here it's pink).

with her blond updo and minidresses "angelique" looks most like ang in 1970 as mrs. sky rumson.gorgeous!

she got the flat shoes right too.

i so love the tag line for the layout..."for gothically good fashion,just add soap."!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:04:27 AM »
Someone's gotta cry foul!!!  Where's the models portraying Julia, Quentin, Roger, and Elizabeth?  Sacrilege!!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:58:10 AM »
it's way too cool to cry "foul".

"bust" is a women's magazine(not a fanzine)and the photo shoot was intended to illustrate women's fashions.

even "barnabas" serves almost as window dressing and only appears in two pictures."roger" and "quentin" would have been superfluous and the clothing is too girlish for "julia" and "liz"(no tweed suits featured).

just have fun with it. [hall2_tongue]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »
Very, very cool. Love the shot of "Angelique" on the stairs. Thanks for sharing the scans! I might have to go out and pick up a copy of the mag myself!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
What a fabulous tribute to our beloved show!  I'm fascinated by how much DS seems to be in the public eye these days.

The images are very lush and beautiful, but I think the makeup artist went WAY over the top with the eyeliner.  "Vicki" looks more like Maggie in that last image, to my taste at least.  In the red sleeveless dress "Vicki" actually looks more like Cassandra who did have a red sleeveless dress somewhat close to that color, plus Vicki never wore makeup that dramatic.  Angelique on the stairs is absolutely on-target.  I think my favorite is Angelique and "Vicki" (who again looks more like Maggie to me) on the sofa. Too bad the women on the show didn't have shoes that sharp.

Many thanks to the fan who shared the scans.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
i agree that with the reddish-brown hair and bangs "vicki" looks a bit "maggie-ish".the hairdresser should have gone for a black fall...but i still think they got the spirit of the whole thing spot on!

i'm with gothick.my favorite shot is "vicki" and "angelique" on the sofa...the model playing vicki is totally giving angelique that suspicious glance she often gave to ang as cassandra.love it!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 02:30:36 AM »
The fashion statement is ok, but the models are downright frightening! Just in time for Halloween.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.